Type 1, slimming world and DAFNE - anyone else?

michmick

Slimmer for Cornwall
I've been type 1 for 31 years, on MDI, thinking about going on a pump if I can get funding.
ive been doing SW on and off for a couple of years and have been doing DAFNE since Feb 2011.
i love SW and love DAFNE but sometimes get lost in the numbers, the syns, the CPs, the units!
It would be great to have a buddy on here that does the same to chat to. Doesn't really have to be SW just anything where you've the equivalent of syns to count.
I have to say I don't have many syns (look at my food diary) and I think that may subconsciously be to avoid some of the number crunching!
michelle

Hi (You have lucked out with me!!!) I'm type one for 30 years, I have done DAFNE, and I am attempting to tackle Slimming World AND I have a pump (my beloved pink pump).
My attempt at diets are usually ruined by too many hypo's spoiling my thinking. Anyway I decided to restart and hopefully get rid of my 2st excess.

I am virtually number dyslexsic (self-diagnosed with that one) syns, extra's, blood results, units, cp's (on the pump its back to carbs again) but it the pump does have a calculator which can take the headache out of some of it.

Anyway Im so new I can't work out how to add tickers and fancy bits and bobs to my signature so any help there would be appreciated.

Tell me your journey so far, I'm so happy that you exsist!!!!!!!!!!!

Lesley x

Hi (You have lucked out with me!!!) I'm type one for 30 years, I have done DAFNE, and I am attempting to tackle Slimming World AND I have a pump (my beloved pink pump).
My attempt at diets are usually ruined by too many hypo's spoiling my thinking. Anyway I decided to restart and hopefully get rid of my 2st excess.

I am virtually number dyslexsic (self-diagnosed with that one) syns, extra's, blood results, units, cp's (on the pump its back to carbs again) but it the pump does have a calculator which can take the headache out of some of it.

Anyway Im so new I can't work out how to add tickers and fancy bits and bobs to my signature so any help there would be appreciated.

Tell me your journey so far, I'm so happy that you exsist!!!!!!!!!!!

Lesley x

Hi Lesley,
There's lots of info on here when you first join abut adding stuff to your signature but I don't think you can do much til you've done 50 posts. I'm probably not the best person to explain anyway, I just about managed to do it following the
detailed instructions! There's a step by step guide for nearly everything!
I've always found my diabetes hardest to manage when I'm near target as I end up with loads of Hypos and therefore eat loads of glucose and therefore syns. I must admit though I don't SYN my glucose tablets but I get away with it cos I have so few syns I think. I've dropped my background again recently to try and reduce the hypos, it's hard as I drive for work so test numerous times a day (11 yesterday which is ridiculous!)
I'm also exercising a lot now which is really new for my and when I went on a recent DAFNE update she said that as I now have muscles (weird!) that it makes me more insulin sensitive. I sometimes wonder if all this healthy living is worth it!
I'm doing the race for life in July which I hope to jog but that has a whole heap on minefields too, I'm doing it on my own so have to carry all the DM paraphernalia which of course makes the jogging more uncomfortable! Wow I sound doom and gloom, I'm not really, just struggling a bit right now!
Which pump are you one? How long have you had it? Was it easy for you to get? I'm not sure if I'll get funding as my hba1c is good but am going to try and go down the hypo route. To make it more complicated I live in Croydon so will get my finding from there but I go to an out of area hospital. Did you have to wait ages to actually get yours?
In terms of SW I've got to target 3 times now successfully so it can be done! I'm a bit rubbish and stop going to group when I get to target and end up totally going off the rails, putting weight back on and the diabetes stops being so well controlled! I usually don't let it get too out of hand before I go back, this was my worst, think I had about 1st5 to lose. Hope to get back to target this month.
It's great to have someone to chat to who's going through similar stuff. Maybe if the hypos are a problem for you this time we can chat and keep you on track to losing that weight!!!!!!
Michelle xx

Hi Michelle
Thanks for the reply. I wish I had muscles!!!!! I wish I wasn't insulin sensitive, its not like the olden days of 2 injections per day and staying at a nice 7 blood result. I've had 2 hypo's today and Im not a one for nibbling a banana and waiting forever to feel better Im more of a cram it in til I feel better then I start to feel sicky.
I think I'm going to start not syning my glucosade tablets for hypo's just syning it if I eat too much of everything.
I'm using an animas pump, its really impressive, I've had it 4 years and it takes alot more management than just DAFNE 11 blood tests is prob an average day, I do so many tests that I get anxiety if I don't do them. I got my pump because I had struggled to get my HbA1C down and my eyes were starting to suffer, there is a range of pumps to choose from. But others got them due to hypo's, one girl was hoping to get pregnant and didn't want night-time hypo's and she got one so you could be in with a chance. I think I had 6 months to wait for mine its your consultant that would write a letter of recommendation to maybe both health care trusts and arrange funding.

I've been a SW member on and off for 3 years and NEVER reached my target - so your an inspiration. Hoping to manage it this time!!!!

What kind of driving job do you do? I, myself am between jobs (hmmmf) they're like gold-dust up here at the moment. I was a graphic designer and illustrator, a nice sitting down job. I am currently willing to take anything at the moment, I think I'm too old too get anything now.
chat soon
Lesley x

Hi Lesley,
I'm a community occupational therapist. I'm not driving all the time but see on average 3 patients a day so tend to test before each drive (now that we have to legally) and before I set off home.
Be careful with not synning the glucotabs, don't want it to affect your journey. I only don't because I have very few syns (I find that a few isn't enough, I want a takeaway and crisps etc!). Have a look at my food diary if you want. it might be worth synning them for a couple of weeks and see how it goes, you can always stop if you're doing ok. It does feel crap synning them though doesn't it, it's not like you want to be eating them! Lots of people have jelly babies don't they? Have you ever tried that? I've not, should do as they'd be nicer to eat!
I think I was told Guys only offer 2 pumps but I'm not sure which ones they are, I've seen them but wasn't sure then so didn't really take it in. Must e mail my DSN and tell her I'd like to have one so she can set the process off for me.
I've got a pound to lose to get back into target range (ie not having to pay to go to group). Pretty much been saying that for a month now. Was doing really well but April did not go to plan! Fingers crossed I lose it this week. I weigh in on Weds, what about you? Do you go to a group? Whats your group leader like? Do you stay to group? I always do as when I stop staying I start gaining. Not sure what's going on in my head, it's like wagging from school and breaking all the rules or something!!!!!
michelle

Hey! I'm Maria, i'm a type one and been on carb counting and dafne for six years now.. trying slimming world and its not been so hard (only two days in like..) but its really messing with my hypos too! And i'm defs the kind of person who downs a lucozade and gets it out of my system but today i had TWO at work.. it must be my background, its really messing with me. So after my lunch (jacket potato) i just took no insulin because i knew i'd be going down again. Really gutted cos I want to lose some weight and i've been quite excited for slimming world but using all my syns on glucose has been devastating :(

Hi Maria - I'm the same with the hypo's 2 per day, if I can eat the required amount for the first one but I lose it for the 2nd one. Which ends up throwing me on my diet plan, I've started with calorie counting now as its prob easier and its the basis for all food plans anyway and nearly all the info is on the packaging anyway. Not sure how old you are but wanted to ask did you ever go to the diabetic camps in the 80s? could do with them for DAFNE graduates x

Hey! I'm Maria, i'm a type one and been on carb counting and dafne for six years now.. trying slimming world and its not been so hard (only two days in like..) but its really messing with my hypos too! And i'm defs the kind of person who downs a lucozade and gets it out of my system but today i had TWO at work.. it must be my background, its really messing with me. So after my lunch (jacket potato) i just took no insulin because i knew i'd be going down again. Really gutted cos I want to lose some weight and i've been quite excited for slimming world but using all my syns on glucose has been devastating :(
Hi Maria,
How long you been doing SW? If its only a little while, give it time, it'll settle down or at least you'll feel like some controls back! I've reduced my background from 18 to 12 as I was having so many hypos. Seems to have settled again now so fingers crossed!
I agree it's not so hard but sometimes the SYN counting, carb counting then working out insulin alongside exercise and correction doses just does my head in a bit!
is it worth swapping the glucose for jelly babies, at lease they're a bit nicer!
michelle

Hi Maria - I'm the same with the hypo's 2 per day, if I can eat the required amount for the first one but I lose it for the 2nd one. Which ends up throwing me on my diet plan, I've started with calorie counting now as its prob easier and its the basis for all food plans anyway and nearly all the info is on the packaging anyway. Not sure how old you are but wanted to ask did you ever go to the diabetic camps in the 80s? could do with them for DAFNE graduates x
Yes I went to the kids camps in the 80s, one with my folks, can't remember where and the other on my own in Tavistock. It was there I learnt to inject on my own and also went from glass to plastic syringes and 1 to 2 injections a day. Big changes!
i also went to the YD weekends (18-30s) a few times, had my 21st at one of them, Liverpool I think!

Hi there, i got my pump in Jan this yr ..... been ups n downs ..... i did DAFNE a while back and obviously i carb count ... i use my fitness pal to calorie count ... if you want help on anything, give us a shout xxx

I've been type 1 for about 4 years now and I've just restarted SW. Like someone said before, hypos usually ruin my diets but with SW I get my levels back up with mullet lights or a banana!
Would be even nicer to have a few diabetic SW buddies!

(hi Claire bear! Been ages!! X)

Good luck with it Penguin-hell, hope it's going well.
I'm just counting down for my pump appointment now, think it'll make such a difference. I struggle with the hunger pangs, not wanting to eat fruit as a snack as I don't want to inject again, there's only so much celery a girl can eat!

I'm just counting down for my pump appointment now, think it'll make such a difference. I struggle with the hunger pangs, not wanting to eat fruit as a snack as I don't want to inject again, there's only so much celery a girl can eat!

I've considered a pump, but i don't think i would be able to cope with it.
Although my legs are killing from my extra injections of Novo Rapid. Had to change from my legs to my bum!

Had a hypo earlier, Alpen Light as my Healthy Extra sorted me out though ;)

Hope the pump works out for you x

I've been type 1 for about 4 years now and I've just restarted SW. Like someone said before, hypos usually ruin my diets but with SW I get my levels back up with mullet lights or a banana!
Would be even nicer to have a few diabetic SW buddies!

(hi Claire bear! Been ages!! X)

Hiii, hope your well honey? xx

Good luck with your pump, i got mine in January ... if you want any help or advice, feel free to ask xx

I'm good thanx! been out of hospital since beginning of March! So fingers crossed! x

Bless ya. glad to hear ...... ive had a few near misses with my diabetes .... gave myself 50 u if insulin by accident :eek: and ended up in hospital on my hen night EEEKKK xxx

Bless ya. glad to hear ...... ive had a few near misses with my diabetes .... gave myself 50 u if insulin by accident :eek: and ended up in hospital on my hen night EEEKKK xxx

Oh my gosh! Extreme hypo?
And on your hen night :(

Nurses gave me too much insulin in my IV last time i was in. Didn't realise i was still getting it on the sliding scale and they still gave me novo mix 30.
So as i was coming out of a hypo, i was going back into one.
I was calling my buzzer, and no one came...and when someone came, i couldn't talk, felt paralyzed! The nurses helper didn't know what was wrong with me. Stupid, on a diabetes ward! Another nurse walked past and ran and got me a lucozade, but then i was sick. Was a vicious circle.
Hate hypos.

Hope you're okay now, don't be doing that again! xx

Oh my gosh! Extreme hypo?
And on your hen night :(

Nurses gave me too much insulin in my IV last time i was in. Didn't realise i was still getting it on the sliding scale and they still gave me novo mix 30.
So as i was coming out of a hypo, i was going back into one.
I was calling my buzzer, and no one came...and when someone came, i couldn't talk, felt paralyzed! The nurses helper didn't know what was wrong with me. Stupid, on a diabetes ward! Another nurse walked past and ran and got me a lucozade, but then i was sick. Was a vicious circle.
Hate hypos.

Hope you're okay now, don't be doing that again! xx

OMG!! you no Nurses piss me right off !! coz NONE seem to no anything about diabetes!! everyone comes to me for advice on their patients diabetes and it makes me sooooooooooooooooooooooooo friggin ANGRY :mad: .. and how the eff can nurses on a diabetes ward be so idiotic to give you two lots of insulin :eek: !! makes u wonder how safe you are in a hospital eh ... mine was too much alcohol mixed with being ill the week leading up to my hen party and not being able to eat much ..... it was bound to happen but hey its somethin to remember lol xxxx

OMG!! you no Nurses piss me right off !! coz NONE seem to no anything about diabetes!! everyone comes to me for advice on their patients diabetes and it makes me sooooooooooooooooooooooooo friggin ANGRY :mad: .. and how the eff can nurses on a diabetes ward be so idiotic to give you two lots of insulin :eek: !! makes u wonder how safe you are in a hospital eh ... mine was too much alcohol mixed with being ill the week leading up to my hen party and not being able to eat much ..... it was bound to happen but hey its somethin to remember lol xxxx

Alcohol brings your sugars down too i think, well Vodka does! We all make mistakes, just don't make it again! ;) x

Back