Type 2 - Diabetes and doing CD

Mamma_caz

Have a serene day!!
Anyone out there who is Type 2 and partaking of the CD shakes and if so how are you doing

XXX

Hi
I have type II diabetes and when I started CD on March 24th 2006, I was on 3000mg of metformin per day (and even then, my blood sugars were frequently too high). Withing a couple of months of SSIng, that dose was down to ZERO! Yep - I no longer need medication for my diabetes: it's controlled by diet alone.

How cool is that? :)

Hiya Russian Doll.,

I am on currently 2000mg of Slow release coz the normal Metformin works like Sennapods.

My bloods aren't to bad but how did you manage to do SS, did you continue with your meds until when? your bloods were constantly between 3 & 6 or did you find that you had funnies.

I would be so interested to know how you managed this, I am in awe of your weight loss.

xx

Hiya Russian Doll.,

I am on currently 2000mg of Slow release coz the normal Metformin works like Sennapods.

My bloods aren't to bad but how did you manage to do SS, did you continue with your meds until when? your bloods were constantly between 3 & 6 or did you find that you had funnies.

I would be so interested to know how you managed this, I am in awe of your weight loss.

xx

Hi mamma-caz
Before I started CD and was on 3000mg of metformin, I was still frequently getting bloods of 9 and above. Not good!

Within literally DAYS of SSing, they began to drop and I had to reduce the dosage of metformin. Within a couple of weeks, I was cutting them further back and once I'd lost a couple of stones (not quite 2 months) I was off them altogether. I've never taken a metformin tablet since.

I wish I could tell you what my bloods are now but to be honest, I usually forget to take them as they're never high. My last 'big blood test' (the three monthly average - can't remember the name of it) showed an average of 5.8 and was classed as 'excellent control'.

This diet really was the turning point for my diabetes. I often wonder what it'll be like when I get to goal and begin to maintain ... I might have something sugary / carby and take my bloods after just to see what happens. Will my body cope better with it when I'm slim than it did before?

Do you have much weight to lose caz? Have you actually started a VLCD yet?

If you haven't seen my progress pics then click on the link below if you have the time and see what less than a year on a VLCD can do (can't wait til I get to goal ... just another 3-and-a-bit stones!)

Good luck with the weight loss and the diabetes :)

Hiya,

Wow your photos are amazing, you don't look like the same person, such an incentive to the rest of us.

I have around 60lbs to lose, I am currently 15st 6lbs and want to be 11st.

When I had our son, he was a large baby and my stomach muscles never returned to where they should have and as a result I have an operation that I can have, but to get it I need to lose the weight or else it would be useless to have.

But my main reason to lose is the Diabetes, my father in law is Type 1, and a friend of mine is also Type1 but he has now lost one of his legs and will probably lose the other one because he can't behave.

I am terrified of going onto insulin as my nurse has told me that if I don't get myself sorted out then I will.

She has said that once I am in Maintenance then I should not need the Meds, it is purely my weight that is causing the problems, so that will probably be the same for you.

I am doing the 790 step 2 now and am finding that great, I am not sure if I will go whole hog yet, we will see. I have my hospital check up on 29th March and I want my bloods right down by then, so maybe after that if I can be patient I will probably go onto SS.

I have to say it is good to talk to someone who has been there and understands, I really appreciate your responses and I have read a load of your threads and you are so supportive.

Thanks xxxxxxxxxx

Back