Underactive Thyroid - Anyone else?

Ceeps

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has an underactive thyroid? I was diagnosed at the end of October 08 and it has still not been stabalised and the weight loss is very slow (sometimes in reverse). I only need to take my eye off the ball for a day and it can be a 1-2lb gain even though the rest of the week I have been an angel. Is there anyone else who has gone through it/going through it?

Ive got a thyroid problem as well. My thyroid function levels are about 5.1-5.5 but my surgery won't prescribe tyroxine until you get to 5 or below,I also have a cyst on my thyroid that haemorraged 2 years ago, I had it drained but the cyst is still there and thats whats keeping my levels low (according to the surgeon I saw), I can't have the cyst removed because its stuck on the thyroid, unless it haemorrages again then they will remove the thyroid as well. Fingers crossed it hasn't haemorraged again. But I have really slow weight loss and 1lb loss is like 3 for other people. Totally sympathise with you.

I have been on thyroxine now for nearly 9 years, and they still cant get the medication right. I originally took 75mcg every day, then they cut it down to 2 days taking 50mcg then the rest of the week 75mcg. At my next blood test, it needed to be increased, to 75mcg again each morning, and now it is overactive again.
Feeling stressed and on edge all the time. I have another gp appointment next week. I hope he can sort me out.

Forgot to mention that despite having an underactive thyroid gland, I have lost 3 stone, and managed to keep the weight off for 3 years. I averaged about half a pound a week, but those that lost faster, gained it back again, so its better to lose it slowly

Yeah i have an underactive thyroid too - been on medication since I was 16 - (now 21) - alot of ppl say im young to have it!? but I think you can get it at any age - I wasn't overweight when I first diagnosed, didn't even have any symptoms!? But have increased to 125mg of thyroxine now (startd on just 25mg!) always check it every 3 months..think it can be an hereditry thing - my dad also has it (hes never been overweight - v.healthy)
Just one of those things I guess! as long as you get no symptoms and take sufficient thyroxine to balance it, then it shouldn't affect your weight ;)

Forgot to mention that despite having an underactive thyroid gland, I have lost 3 stone, and managed to keep the weight off for 3 years. I averaged about half a pound a week, but those that lost faster, gained it back again, so its better to lose it slowly

Thats really encouraging :)

Ive had an underactive thyroid since i was 15 coming up to 22 now and on 125 mg a day. It does make me tired but i know my level is now correct it has gone up quite a lot though over the years. Since ive started exercising which boots your metabolism i have lost over 2 stone and maintained it, hoping on slimming world i will loose more, i think exercise is the key and eating less saturated fat :)

Hiya
yeah I have an under active thyroid and I'm on Levothyroxine 100mg. I can't say as I've had any problems because of it. All the problems I'e had have been diabetes related.

Current medication:-
Levothyroxine 100mg
Simvastatin 40mg
Metformin
Novorapid insulin
Levemir insulin

:sigh:

Back