Extra Easy Unhappy Wife

My wife and I are five weeks into Extra Easy.
I started at 6ft / 16st 13lb and she at 5ft 6in / 9st 7lb (so I clearly have way more to lose).

I lost 3lb week one then 2lb then a nice steady 1.5lb per week.
She has lost nothing, her weight fluctuates by 1lb every week but she's basically not losing or gaining.
She weighed 7lbs less before Christmas so from a physiological point of view, presumably she can lose it?

I have had a couple of crazy days (over 70 syns in cocktails alone on my birthday, yay, go me).
She hasn't had a bad day yet and is very honest about what she eats.
She eats loads of berries, apples and exercises every day. Running, walking, aerobics.
I walk to the car, sit at a desk, walk around the supermarket, sit on the sofa.
She doesn't drink alcohol, half of my syns are cocktails.

I do the cooking, measuring everything, synning where necessary so I know we're sticking to EE.
It's a good mix of lean meat, potatoes and plenty of veggies. Mostly I cook without fat, sometimes a few sprays of the evil stuff in a plastic can. No flour unless synned, no sugar, no fat unless healthy extra A.

I'm loving the diet, I get to eat loads and I'm really enjoying cooking everything from scratch.

Any ideas on why she's not losing?

At 9st 7lbs, she is already bang in the middle of her healthy weight range, so it will be more difficult for her to lose lbs, but if she is exercising she will be toning up and improving her shape, and following SW has health benefits beyond weight loss. I guess if she is really determined to lose lbs she could try EE SP? If I were you, though, I'd encourage her to concentrate on non-scale-related ways of measuring her progress, like inch loss and general fitness. she is lucky to have such a supportive husband - good luck to both of you reaching your goals :)

I totally agree with what Violet says. I know that's not much consolation to your wife but it may well be the case. She should definitely take her measurements and then, hopefully, that is where she'll notice the difference. Sounds like you've both really embraced the healthy eating style of SW, which can only be a good thing. Good luck to you both.

Kathy

Thanks violetshrinks and chocko1.

One of the reasons I'd like to understand this is purely selfish.
This is much easier as long as we're both doing it.
For now, she's doing it with me for solidarity.

But I do agree, both of us are eating a healthy balanced diet which can't be bad.
She just really WANTS to be able to eat a cupcake again.

Like the others have said, she seems to be in a really healthy weigh range for her height, so get her to concentrate on the inches rather than the weight. If she tried to lose too much weight, SW will ask her to put weight on anyway. I'm slightly taller than your wife, and I know that if I ever reached the 9st weight, my consultant would be pushing me to put weight on (they don't want anyone to fall into the 'underweight section')

Tell her to dig out 'that pair of jeans' (or dress/top/trousers what ever it may be :) ) that she hasn't been able to wear comfortably for a while, and see if she feels more comfortable in them :)

As much as she may think of it as a diet, it's not. It's just healthy eating, which you'll probably end up doing from now on anyway :)
Don't let her deny herself of anything though, if she wants a cupcake, tell her to have it :) one of the glorious parts of slimming world! If she's doing plenty of excercise and eating plenty of speed foods, one cupcake won't damage it, plus she doesn't drink alcohol, so why not have a cupcake when you have a cocktail :)

Men and women put on and lose weight in different ways and at different rates - no point at all in making comparisons.

As others have said, your wife is a healthy wait for her height and you say she is doing SW with you out of solidarity. Maybe she doesn't need or even want to lose weight?

Your title for this thread is "unhappy wife" but it isn't clear what she is unhappy about, exactly. Unless it's because she wants that cupcake. Which she should have if she wants one - she doesn't need to eat it in front of you, or even tell you about it!!

I'm the same height as your wife and I'd kill to be that weight :scale:

Anyway, what I was going to say which might be more helpful is that my OH does SW with me for solidarity (although he doesn't come to class). He prefers to eat healthily so he is happy eating the same things as me. He is within his healthy weight range and loses a few pounds here and there, but he does also have a few more extra naughties just because he can.

It just means that we don't buy naughty things when we go shopping so that we only have SW friendly food in the house, and that we eat healthy SW meals in the evening and weekends. However, when he is out and about if he wants to have cake, chocolate or whatever he does. It's a nice compromise for him as he can still have a few treats but never puts any weight on :)

Make sure she is using her syns - I find my losses slow down when I am depriving myself. (odd, i know)

Sounds like she doesn't need to lose weight anyway, our bodies do have a 'natural' weight where we are healthy and well and it is hard to lose weight beyond that. Maybe she's at her perfect weight and therefore isn't dropping lbs.

Well done for your losses :) xx

I should point out that when I (rather bluntly) titled this thread with "unhappy", I should have said "disappointed".
We've been at this together, she's had fewer disaster days than me, eats way more salad but I'm losing weight and she isn't.
I never felt she needed to lose weight but actually she looks more trim than before the diet so maybe her shape is changing but her weight isn't?

Cooking SW meals for two is easier than two different meals and it's a good balanced diet so no harm.

I'd have no problem watching her eat a cupcake, I don't miss sweets and cakes.
Mind you, if I came home and found her in the arms of a streaky bacon and cheese toasted sandwich, things could get unpleasant...

Back