Unsupportive Husband

I have a friend who buys all her husband's clothes - socks, pants, shirts, everything - because apparently he is incapable of doing so himself. His mother always bought his clothes before he was married.

The only thing he will get himself is suits and shoes, only because he has to try them on, and she has to go with him!

She says that if he goes to buy things himself he comes back with the wrong sizes. What??? How can it possibly be that a grown man doesn't know what size socks he takes?

It makes me wonder about their self-respect. What self-respecting grownup wants someone else buying their clothes? To my mind it is weird behaviour, but she is enabling it.

Sorry, rant over.

My OH doesn't know what size clothes he is in most places! Men's clothes are no different to womens, he can be a medium in one and an xl in another! This however is absolutely no excuse for my OH not to buy his own clothes!

You do have a point though, if a bloke did this with a woman the world would be screaming that he was being controlling, buying her clothes etc. Whereas it is expected of a woman to do it for a man?!

I have read all the comments in this thread, what a load of wimps!
There are SW meals to cater for every taste, there are breaded foods, chips, curries, roasts, casseroles etc, so just work out what food you both like & make it!
My wife told me that if I didn't like her way of cooking then I should do it, so I do and she now has to eat what I cook. She is now pleased at her weight loss!
Pete

I've got to say with EE there are so many 'normal' meals you can make I also find it a strange attitude.

For example I'm cooking for 2 kids aged 3 & 6 & myself & dh
Tonight we're having spag bog ( I'll add mushrooms, peppers, onions in to bulk it up)
Tues - homemade fishcakes & chips
Weds - we're having takeaway curry (I have half and save the other half for lunch. A rogan Josh is only 3 syns x2 then)
Thurs - rocket pesto on pasta
Fri salmon & dill tray bake

These are all sw recipes but only because I'm bored of making meals up. Dh cooks at the weekend, saturday we had pigeon breast with a couscous salad pomegranate and raspberries.

Other recipes are easy to adapt, shepherd's pie, fish pie (I syn the sauce as couldn't get on with yoghurt), moussaka, lasagne etc and all 'normal foods.'

I've got to say with EE there are so many 'normal' meals you can make I also find it a strange attitude.

For example I'm cooking for 2 kids aged 3 & 6 & myself & dh
Tonight we're having spag bog ( I'll add mushrooms, peppers, onions in to bulk it up)
Tues - homemade fishcakes & chips
Weds - we're having takeaway curry (I have half and save the other half for lunch. A rogan Josh is only 3 syns x2 then)
Thurs - rocket pesto on pasta
Fri salmon & dill tray bake

These are all sw recipes but only because I'm bored of making meals up. Dh cooks at the weekend, saturday we had pigeon breast with a couscous salad pomegranate and raspberries.

Other recipes are easy to adapt, shepherd's pie, fish pie (I syn the sauce as couldn't get on with yoghurt), moussaka, lasagne etc and all 'normal foods.'

All your meals sound lovely but if I put that in front of my hubby he would starve. I think I need to get a replacement.

Im so envious of people who can enjoy their food with their partner.

I spent two hours arguing about where to go for my birthday meal because he wanted to go anywhere that did burgers.

I don't follow EE, I do red/green plans.

I have to say that this thread almost makes me ashamed to be a Man. Thankfully I have spent a few years as a single person as well as in relationships so I am pretty well versed in looking after myself. And one thing I have always had is independence from my Mother. And I love to cook. Ok, not fancy food, just "boring" traditional stuff, but still nice food.

What I would give to have a partner who I could support in everything that She wanted to do and achieve.

Have a word, with yourself, towards his attitude, and with him about his behaviour. You will no doubt be defensive as he is Your husband but at the end of the day, if he cannot respect You for trying to do something for Yourself, that makes You happy, then tell him You will find someone who will be that person for You.

Last edited:
Back