Unsure of what to do

gingerlex

Sorry guys, this will be a bit of a long one!

I'm 5'5 and currently 13st 5. I've always had a good appetite. This was not a problem when I was younger as I was really tall for my age - I was never a fat kid, just towered over everyone. When I stopped growing though, my appetite stayed with me. The result of this is that I've struggled to have a sensible weight all my adult life. The only time my BMI has been in a healthy range is when I couldn't eat properly. Once when I had to bite my brace into place, and on 2 occasions when I suffered with depression.
Now I know it is not healthy to only have one meal a day, however this is all I was having back when I weighed a "decent weight" (I'm talking about between 10 and 10.5 stone - not super skinny).
I have tried weight watchers, on which I gained weight whenever I ate any weekly points (done for about 6 months in lead up to my wedding last year. I was gutted I only lost 4 lbs the whole time) I spent a lot of the time hungry, despite following the plan advice. After christmas I decided enough was enough, and joined slimming world. I like it, it's a very live-able diet. What I don't like is that I'm still at my pre-wedding weight and it won't shift. I'll be honest and say i'm not always 100%, but I'm talking about little blips rather than major slip ups.
I do plenty of exercise: street dance, zumba, modern, tap and disco classes. I don't physically possess the time or the energy to do any more exercise than what I already do.
I have read numerous books that contradict each other on what I should be eating and how "easy" it is. I look at the crux of it and think "there is no way I can stick to that". I want a change of lifestyle of eating, not a short term thing to lose weight and pile it all back on.
I am officially out of ideas. I'm tired of being fat. I don't know where to turn or what to try.

Hello and firstly you can loose the weight!

I felt like you in 2010, I weighed 11 stone 8 pounds and I am only 5 ft 3. I was overweight and really unhealthy, my thighs chaffed whenever I walked and I would be out of breath from just walking into town. I had been bullied throughout high school for my weight, even to the degree that the bullies made a website about me to show the world how fat and 'worthless' I was. I continued to eat too much and not exercise. I started university and again my weight increased, I started eating out and drinking lots which just made things worse. I decided that I wanted to stop gaining weight and stop feeling so unhealthy, I wanted to show the bullies that I could loose the weight that they picked on me for so long about. At first I really, I mean really struggled with being on a diet. I hated every single thing about being on one, I felt so restricted and every day I wanted to give up. It took many failed attempts to actually stay on a diet that worked for me.

The diet that worked for me was calorie counting, rather than some 'fad' diet or one that meant I had to buy special food for I decided to just lower my calorie intake to 1700 and then to 1500 over time. This was so easy to do, I couldn't believe how easy it was. I realised that just by changing the type of pizza I ate that my calorie intake would be 500 calories less. Small changes that I wouldn't notice made the big difference. I would really recommend calorie counting if you want a life style change.

Good luck xx

Hey, thanks for replying :) Good to know I'm not alone in this :) I've even tried that set small goals thing to help things seem more acheivable. Current goal is to get out of the 13s, but I have been trying for 18 months to do that goal! Just losing faith, but thank you for responding :)

Hi there - if hunger/appetite is an issue then you might want to try a lower carb diet - that's the main thing it helps with;) I don't believe that everyone is lazy and greedy...i do believe the standard way of eating doesn't suit everyone and causes some body problems (hunger, cravings and lethargy!) also exercise can mkae you hungrier which may not help if then eat more of the problem foods.

Take a look online at gary taubes - why we get fat (you tube or book) or marksdailyapple.com

If you do think that carbs could be your problem then lots of choices - recommend primal/paleo if want to eat healthy fresh food with lots of veg and fruit. I personally did atkins as was (and am!) a carb addict so needed to change completely!

Good luck

Back