USA Alternatives

Meli

Gold Member
I sent my parents the SW books, but there are a lot of things they can't find there.
Does anyone know what Cereal Bars or Yogurts they can have there? Also my mom can't seem to find any fat free yogurts and they told her in the store because they are not in demand, so they don't stock them (and we're talking about a big supermarket chain). Also do you know what is the alternative to Quark or Fromage Frais over there?

Any help appreciated!!

Mate- I do SW online and they have USA versions of syns/HEX to download. If you PM me your e-mail details I will send them to you as the lists are pretty long

xxx

Where in the states are they, I am in Texas and have had similar problems but have found quark... fromage frais is called fromage blanc here but is hard to get. For fat free yoghurts I use Yoplait light....the blue tubs not the pinky ones.... I can get Kelloges fibre one cereal bars....but variety is small..... depending on the supermarket....let me know if I can help at all

They are in New Orleans. It's amazing they can't find FF things there!
Is there anything that they can buy from SAM's Club, as they do a lot of shopping from there?

My dad has already lost about 20lbs since I sent them the books about 3 months ago, so he's doing quite well and doesn't feel like he's on a diet. Your list will be very helpful for them to keep going :)

Mate- I do SW online and they have USA versions of syns/HEX to download. If you PM me your e-mail details I will send them to you as the lists are pretty long

xxx

Hi would you mind sending me the USA versions too, I only have the Uk ones and am struggling with some things... let me know and I can pm you my email.....thank you

They are in New Orleans. It's amazing they can't find FF things there!
Is there anything that they can buy from SAM's Club, as they do a lot of shopping from there?

I dont think they have HEB in New Orleans but if they do they can defiantly get quark there... havent seen it in Sams Club... they should be able to get the kelloges bars there....in for Target do them....I will be going to Sams club soon...when I can get hubby to take me... and will check out what they have

I live in Ontario, Canada, but am close to a US border, so make frequent trips for stuff I can't get here.

Quark is hard to come by over here, you may find it in some European marts. If they cant get it then I suggest using fat free Greek yoghurt, which tastes much better anyway. They should be able to get the Fage stuff.

I am surprised they can't get fat free yoghurts though, as I have seen no end of different sorts every time I go shopping over the border.

Also some supermarkets doing a foreign section and I have managed to locate scan bran in those on occasion.

Walmart do Turkey breakfast sausages which are 80 calories for 2, and work out as 0.5 syns per two sausages, so worth checking those out.

There is also no end of 100 calorie packs you can get for snacks, which are obviously 5 syns.

If they have a Trader Joes near to them, then tell them to check that out, they do lots of yummy healthy and organic stuff and their fat free greek yoghurt is delicious.

Also we are allowed whole wheat English muffins as a healthy extra B here, the 57g ones, so it is worth telling them about those. No pitta breads yet as far as I am aware though. Bread is a bit hit and miss, obviously you are allowed 57g of any whole wheat, but trying to find a loaf that has 2 slices for under 57g can be hard. Unfortunatley we don't get any cereal bars available to us as a healthy extra, I am sure there are probably some that would qualify, but the overseas list hasnt been updated for yonks, and trying to enquire with slimming world themselves is a waste of time. We do get a few different cereals though, mainly cheerios and mini wheats (any variety) (1 oz I think).

Feel free to let them contact me through my blog if they are stuck for anything else.

I dont think they have HEB in New Orleans but if they do they can defiantly get quark there... havent seen it in Sams Club... they should be able to get the kelloges bars there....in for Target do them....I will be going to Sams club soon...when I can get hubby to take me... and will check out what they have

oooh will check Target next time, havent been able to find any of the cereal bars here yet.

Do you go to the meetings in Texas? I was wondering if you get any additional information that they don't show on the site.

I did make contact with one of the consultants there in Texas, who said she has discovered some savoury rices and pasta in sauces that can be counted as free, but they seem so high calorie/fat wise, that I am weary of having them. So just stick to making my own, would be nice for quickness occasionally though.

oooh will check Target next time, havent been able to find any of the cereal bars here yet.

Do you go to the meetings in Texas? I was wondering if you get any additional information that they don't show on the site.

I did make contact with one of the consultants there in Texas, who said she has discovered some savoury rices and pasta in sauces that can be counted as free, but they seem so high calorie/fat wise, that I am weary of having them. So just stick to making my own, would be nice for quickness occasionally though.

SW are only in Dallas /Fort Worth Area (which is 4 hrs drive on a good day) at the moment but I did contact them to see if they were coming to Houston and was told that it is going to be the next city to be targeted but the cost and the logistics of doing it here are way more than they expected....although for the life of me I cant understand why they targeted Dallas first as there are way more ex-pats living in Houston who already know about SW...there are a lot of bigger folk in Houston that would really benefit from it.....I have several of my friends doing it too...just from the books and stuff I bought over with me...
I have been making my own sauces and rice stuff purely because I am home all day while job hunting and it gives me something to do.....Jello pudding and desserts come in sugar and fat free and my daughter calculated the syn value of the choc one as 2 sys per pack (before adding milk) so I use 0% greek yoghurt instead which gives it a nice moousey taste...found out today they also do it in a cheesecake flavour so cant wait to try that....all I need is work out what to use for a base...I can get individual sponge flan cases but they are a bit dry....or graham cracker bases but they will be high in sugar and butter...but I am working on that one...

SW are only in Dallas /Fort Worth Area (which is 4 hrs drive on a good day) at the moment but I did contact them to see if they were coming to Houston and was told that it is going to be the next city to be targeted but the cost and the logistics of doing it here are way more than they expected....although for the life of me I cant understand why they targeted Dallas first as there are way more ex-pats living in Houston who already know about SW...there are a lot of bigger folk in Houston that would really benefit from it.....I have several of my friends doing it too...just from the books and stuff I bought over with me...
I have been making my own sauces and rice stuff purely because I am home all day while job hunting and it gives me something to do.....Jello pudding and desserts come in sugar and fat free and my daughter calculated the syn value of the choc one as 2 sys per pack (before adding milk) so I use 0% greek yoghurt instead which gives it a nice moousey taste...found out today they also do it in a cheesecake flavour so cant wait to try that....all I need is work out what to use for a base...I can get individual sponge flan cases but they are a bit dry....or graham cracker bases but they will be high in sugar and butter...but I am working on that one...

check out the No Pudge- Fat Free Brownie Mix if you can get them http://www.nopudge.com/our-products.htm, works out about 6 syns for one brownie, with 4 tablespoons of light squirty cream and then I have it with raspberries or strawberries. They are yummy and well worth it.

If you get the Fibre 1 cereal

this stuff:
Fiber_One.jpg

it can be used as a HEb, can't remember measurement off top of my head, will check and let you know, but is great used for bases for cheesecake or even for coating chicken etc.

OOOO the brownies look great I'm sure I have seen them, and we can get fibre one that could be the answer to my cheesecake.....thank you

Back