Utilities bills

Devon Dolce

1lb at a time!
Hi all,

Quick question, Southern Electric (gas and electricity suppliers) owe us £300 - we pay DD each month and bills just carry forward. They've said they'll carry the balance forward but does anyone know if we can ring up and get the money sent to us in a cheque? I know all suppliers are different but just wanted to ask - bill in OH's name so I can't ring them myself xxx

Yes you can. I like to stay in credit but I have requested money back in the past. Tis your money after all!

Yes you can. I like to stay in credit but I have requested money back in the past. Tis your money after all!

Thanks hun! I agree, we like to be in a bit of credit but £300 is a lot, especially with me not working at the mo! It's crazy, we put our DD up as they suggested but since then they've always owed us money! Will suggest we reduce it down again just a bit xx

yup if you provide an up to date meter reading they have to :) x
That is not true;)
It would all depend on the state of the account. It may well be £300 in credit, but when is/are the next bill due?

In the current climate, the next gas bill (especially) could easily wipe-out that credit and more besides. So please bear this in mind.

It always amazes me how some people on direct debit (I do it myself) never want to pay enough to cover their actual use, or quote a summer gas bill for winter projections etc.

All companies give a direct debit discount, usually for paying in advance.

I suggest if customers want full control of their monthly payments, then go to your bank and setup a standing order each month. This way you can have full say in your payments and change them after every bill, or every month. - of course there's no discount for standing order, so you'll not be able to have your cake AND eat it;)

My Co automatically refund it at the yearly review if its more than 3 months in credit.

£300 is a lot.

I would def ask for it back and a re-adjustment of the DD amount, especially if the increased winter usage is well covered.

My Co automatically refund it at the yearly review if its more than 3 months in credit.

£300 is a lot.

I would def ask for it back and a re-adjustment of the DD amount, especially if the increased winter usage is well covered.
My company do a similar thing. £150 is the "cut-off" point. So if it is £150 or more in credit after the annual review it is refunded in full. If it is £150 or more in debit it is collected in full. Of course in an ideal world, with actual reads (customer or company) the payments should never be as much as £150 out at the end of the review period.

However, going on the old adage of the customer being "always right" quite often companies reduce the monthly payments at customer's request and then they often find come annual review time that the balance is much more than they'd figured!

I think the phrase is Quel Surprise! lol.

Wish I was as good at not gaining weight as I was at calculating direct debit reviews:(

Back