Valentines Meal

vowles

anybody have any ideas to what i can cook my other half on valentines night that is healthy for me and still enjoyable for my partner? Thanks in advance :)

Red day - presumabley you can have steak and salad ... he can have with chips or whatever type of potatoes he likes.

Fish .... as above.

Green, make a nice pasta meal with a home made tomato sauce.

I use to love SW as it meant my family could eat what I had and I just adjusted it to suit whatever day I was on.

I'm sure the fact you are making him something special will count and get you many brownie points - hope he remembers to buy you some flowers!

hi flirty40greeneyes, thanks for the tips, think im going to go with maybe a mixed grill with chips for him and meat and salad for me.

Think ill have to have to up the willpower for the desert though!
choccy cake for him, mullerlight for me:cry:

lol yes he had better not forget the flowers!!

I got this from the slimming world website:-​

Starter

Carrott and Ginger Soup:-​

Syns per serving: Free on Original and Green
Ready in about 35 minutes

Ingredients
1/2 onion
1 celery sticks
1 garlic cloves
300g carrots
½ cm piece fresh root ginger
Fry Light
500ml stock made with chicken Bovril
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Very low fat natural yogurt and snipped fresh chives to serve

Method

1. Prepare the ingredients: peel and chop the onion; trim and chop the celery; peel and chop the garlic; peel and roughly chop the carrots; finely grate the ginger.
  2. Spray a pan with Fry Light and cook the onion, celery, garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes. Add the stock and the carrots, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
  3. Remove from the heat, allow to cool slightly, transfer to a food processor, season well and blend until almost smooth. Divide the soup between four warmed bowls, top with a swirl of yogurt and a few snipped chives and serve immediately.
Main Course

Red Day-

Slow Braised Lamb Shanks

Syns per serving: Free on Original

Ready in about: 3 hours

1/2 onion
1 carrots
2 garlic cloves
1 celery sticks
2 lamb shanks
Fry Light
200g can chopped tomatoes
100ml chicken stock made with Bovril
1/2 tsp artificial sweetener
1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Finely chopped parsley
Finely grated lemon zest
1. Prepare the ingredients: peel and finely chop the onion, carrots and garlic and trim and chop the celery. Remove all visible fat from the lamb.
2. Spray a heavy pan with Fry Light and place over a high heat. Add the lamb and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside. Turn the heat to medium and cook the onion, carrots, garlic and celery for 10 minutes before adding the tomatoes, stock, sweetener and bay leaf. Season well.

Green Day:-

Syns per serving:
4½ Syns on Green and Original

4 x 14 g/½ oz sheets filo pastry
1 egg whites
Fry Light, for spraying
100g/7oz assorted mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 shallots or 1/2 onion, finely chopped

Caramelized onions:
1 red onion, finely sliced
1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoons red wine
½ tablespoon runny honey

Beetroot dressing:
1 cooked beetroots
70ml vegetable stock
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper

1. Make 2 tartlets by cutting a 15 cm/10 in square out of each sheet of filo pastry. Brush one layer with egg white and then place another sheet of pastry on top; not directly on top but in such a way that it creates a sort of star shape. Repeat the process with the remaining sheets so that you end up with 2 star shapes.
2. Mould the pastry into 9 cm/3½ in individual pie moulds and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/Gas Mark 4 for 5–7 minutes until golden brown. Remove and rest on a wire rack.
3. Spray a frying pan with a little Fry Light and fry the mushrooms, garlic and shallots or onion until tender.
4. Meanwhile, put the sliced red onions into a saucepan and cover with the vinegar and wine. Boil until the onions are tender and have absorbed the liquid. Stir in the honey.
5. Put the cooked beetroots in a blender and blend until you have a thick purée. Add the vegetable stock to loosen it a little and pass through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan. Cook over a high heat until reduced to intensify the flavour and colour. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste.
6. Fill the tartlets with the mushroom mixture and arrange a little pile of onions on top of each one. Transfer to 2 serving plates and pour the beetroot dressing around the tartlets on the plates. Serve immediately with assorted steamed vegetables or a
crisp salad.

Pudding:-

Syns per serving: 3½ Syns on Green and Original

Ingredients
1/2 tsp finely grated orange zest
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 x 200g pots Vanilla Müllerlight Yogurt
1/2 pint diluted sugar-free Ribena
1 sticks of cinnamon
1 cloves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 level tbsp golden caster sugar
2-3 tbsp artificial sweetener
1/2lb ripe plums

Method

• Stir the orange zest and vanilla essence into the yogurt. Pour into a shallow freezer-proof container, cover and freeze for 3-4 hours or until set, stirring with a fork every 30 minutes to break up the ice.
  • Place the Ribena in a pan with the cinnamon sticks, cloves, ground cinnamon, sugar, artificial sweetener and plums. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 6-8 minutes or until the plums are just tender. Remove the plums with a slotted spoon and divide between four serving bowls.
  • Strain the syrup into a jug and pour over the plums. Serve with the vanilla ice.
Coffee and Kisses​

Makes: 24
Syns per truffle: 3½ Syns on Green and Original
Preparation time: approximately 10 minutes, plus chilling
Cooking time: approximately 5 minutes
Ingredients
125ml pot half-fat double cream
255g/9oz plain chocolate
2 tbsp liqueur of your choice
2 level tbsp cocoa powder
Method

• Place the double cream in a pan, bring just to the boil then remove from the heat. Finely chop the chocolate and stir into the cream until melted. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the liqueur and chill until quite firm.
  • Put the cocoa powder onto a small plate. Dust the palms of your hands with cocoa, take a teaspoon of the chocolate mixture and roll into a ball about 2cm diameter, then roll into the cocoa powder. Repeat with the remaining mixture, place on a lined tray and chill until required.
Tip: Try rolling the mixture in desiccated coconut, chopped almonds or ground sugar and chocolate (adding ½ Syn per truffle). The truffles will last up to one week in the fridge.​

I have adapted all these recipies to serve 2 people rather than 4!!

hi,
Thanks for the recipes all there great :)
Im sure ill be able to find something in amongst that lot :D

Hi vowles

Let us know how it goes and what you decided to cook in the end.

Enjoy!

My OH has said that he is just going to eat a salad with me, as he feels bad that he is not taking me out for a meal - BLESS.

So I will be having salad and salmon and he will be having salad with pork pies etc. At least it will feel like we are eating a meal together rather than two separate meals all the time.
Enjoy your day.

The joy of this eating plan should be that you can all eat the same meals, no need to be eating different food. Buy the SW magazine theres always some lovely family recipes in there. Works out too expensive and bothersome if you keep preparing separate meals.

Back