Vecon

Cuba here I come

I have found a really nice recipe for a roast pepper soup and would like to give it a go. Something to keep warm at this time of year.

There is a problem though. The recipe includes vecon. I have heard of this through SW before but don't know where to find it.

Don't want to ask in the supermarket because they look at you like your mad because they've never heard of it. (Thats what they did when i asked for quark).

Can anyone help?

x

I think its something like a vegetarian version of Bovril, but I might be wrong. I've never seen it personally, and I do occasionally look out for it amongst the stock cubes and bovril jars in the supermarkets. I guess you can get it from places like holland and barrett

I assume if you cant find it you can use veg stock cubes or stock as an alternative

Yep it is just a vegetarian stock so you could replace it with ordinary stock instead - personally I find it too strong anyway

When I asked for quark I got sent to the toy section and told to look at star trek stuff.

Before SW changed the rules about stock cubes, etc., Vecon was one of the free ones.

I have only ever seen it in health food stores.

You could use any stock - my favourite is Knorr Touch of Taste vegetable stock concentrate. It comes in a bottle so you can use as much or as little as you like.

This is the most beautiful soup I have ever tasted.. you must try it.
Red pepper and sweet potato soup
1 medium onion, peeled and trimmed
2 red peppers desseded and quartered
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and quartered
2 medium carrots peeled
frylight
1 garlic clove peeled and sliced
900ml just boiled water
1 stock cube
freshly ground black pepper
natural yoghurt

Slice the onion, peppers, sweet potato and carrots, heat the frylight in a saucepan and gently cook the veg with the garlic for 10 mins
Crumble stock cube into the pan and add the water. bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 mins until tender.
Blend the soup in food processor until smooth.
Return to pan and heat through, then serve with a swirl of natural fat free yoghurt and a sprinkle of black pepper... Gorgeous and free on green or extra easy

Now that soup sounds really good and I am definitely going to try it. I have a slightly sad looking red pepper which needs using up, and I also have some sweet potatoes and carrots, so I have everything I need. I might make it tomorrow.

Thank you!

Back