Waiting Until After Xmas To Properly Start?

littlemiss

Silver Member
Is anyone else waiting until after Christmas before they start losing weight?

I am itching to start, I had a baby last year, and this year has many other issues, but I'm finally ready to start losing weight again, but I have 3 big special events before Christmas, and obviously Christmas & all the food & festivities, I love Christmas, the eating, comfort, ect, I want to enjoy it this year after a traumatic 12 months.

Damage limitation until xmas??

Dont know what to do, because potentially there is still plenty time to lose before xmas!?

:rolleyes:

There's 8 weeks today until Christmas so even at only 1lb a week that's just over half a stone. At the beginning you lose more anyway so in theory you could potentially lose a stone before Christmas. So why would you want to wait?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yeah I know, ooooh you've got me thinking.

Because I have all these big events coming up and even thought they only last for 1 day, they still involve food & have the potential to throw me off track!? I like starting in January as there is no disruptions (not alot of nights/days out ect)

There will always be some reason or event that can be used as an excuse for not starting. Even when you start there will be nights out, birthdays, weddings or whatever so are you going to stop going to them? They are a part of life and we need to learn how to fit them into our eating plans. Dont put off until tomorrow what you can do today cos you be just be that bit heavier come January if you dont ;)

There's a very good chance that you will put on more weight before the new year. Even more to lose. You'll be even more fed up! You'll have to learn to go to family events and eat sensibly, so you might as well start now. I do SW and their xmas book is fabulous. No reason to have a miserable xmas because you're on a diet!

Absolutely agree with everyone, don't put it off! You need to be able to live your life around sensible eating, as it's something you need to do forever; if you think of it as something short term you're doomed! ;) I allowed mysrlf about three days "off" last Christmas, and believe me you'll enjoy your Christmas food all the more if you don't just eat like that all the time. It's vital to be able to let yourself go from time to time and just get back to being "good" the next day.

So start it now (not tomorrow!!) and watch those pounds drop off before Christmas. :) xx

Im a very Christmas-y person. I normally allow all of Dec off so I can enjoy all the treats, but as you ladies have very wisely said, why put off, I must get used to life events throwing me off track, I could even think about designating certain days to eating as I like & be good the rest, maybe the 3 days of xmas, (eve, day & boxing day) I think I just want to be eating mince pies & chocs every night, esp when its winter, but thats just greedy & unhealthy....right!?

I started my diet (Atkins) in the last week of November last year, which seemed like a duff idea considering the proximity of Xmas, but it actually worked out well.

See, by the time Xmas rolled around I'd already lost a stone in weight, so although I gave myself permission to enjoy a 10 day "holiday" from the diet through Xmas and New Year, I think it must always have been in the back of my mind that I had a stone's worth of weight loss to protect, and therefore I didn't go mad with the Xmas goodies. I think if I hadn't already invested time and effort into losing that weight prior to Xmas, there would have been nothing to stop me doing my usual and scoffing everything in sight, then I would have had an even bigger mountain to climb come January. As it was, I only gained a pound from my diet holiday, and I was pleased with that.

So I'd say start now and work out how you're going to approach Xmas in advance. Make some rules, like I didn't allow myself to sit with open boxes of chocolates or big bags of crisps next to me to try and prevent myself from eating mindlessly. If you make your Xmas break in some sense a part of your diet ie, you're loosening the reins but you're NOT completely free, it's possible to enjoy some treats but come through it relatively unscathed.

Good luck!

littlemiss said:
Im a very Christmas-y person. I normally allow all of Dec off so I can enjoy all the treats, but as you ladies have very wisely said, why put off, I must get used to life events throwing me off track, I could even think about designating certain days to eating as I like & be good the rest, maybe the 3 days of xmas, (eve, day & boxing day) I think I just want to be eating mince pies & chocs every night, esp when its winter, but thats just greedy & unhealthy....right!?

I know exactly what you mean, I'm a big fan of Christmas, and have always associated it with lots of food, lol. But you can do it! Those Christmas treats really are more enjoyable if they're not totally unlimited, and you'll have a much better time if you've lost sone weight beforehand and will probably, like the previous poster said, not want to completely wreck all your hard work. Go for it!! xx

The way I see it... real life has disruptions. There is never an "ideal" time to start, so any given moment can be the best time to start. I wouldn't wait, if you are motivated to lose, grab on to that and get a head start! I few days off/gains are inevittable, and they're not an excuse to not to your best all the other days in between, whether they are early on into your diet, or after a few stone.

You make the rules. You want december off? No problem. But why November too? I wouldn't wait :D

I started my diet (Atkins) in the last week of November last year, which seemed like a duff idea considering the proximity of Xmas, but it actually worked out well.

See, by the time Xmas rolled around I'd already lost a stone in weight, so although I gave myself permission to enjoy a 10 day "holiday" from the diet through Xmas and New Year, I think it must always have been in the back of my mind that I had a stone's worth of weight loss to protect, and therefore I didn't go mad with the Xmas goodies. I think if I hadn't already invested time and effort into losing that weight prior to Xmas, there would have been nothing to stop me doing my usual and scoffing everything in sight, then I would have had an even bigger mountain to climb come January. As it was, I only gained a pound from my diet holiday, and I was pleased with that.

So I'd say start now and work out how you're going to approach Xmas in advance. Make some rules, like I didn't allow myself to sit with open boxes of chocolates or big bags of crisps next to me to try and prevent myself from eating mindlessly. If you make your Xmas break in some sense a part of your diet ie, you're loosening the reins but you're NOT completely free, it's possible to enjoy some treats but come through it relatively unscathed.

Good luck!

How much weight did you put on for those 10 days (if anything)?

How much weight did you put on for those 10 days (if anything)?

All I put on was 1 lb.

And I didn't deny myself anything - I had roast potatoes, stuffing, Xmas pudding with cream, chocolates, crisps...you name it! - BUT, my deal with myself was that I didn't have large quantities, and that I had to REALLY want it. I wasn't allowed to eat something unless I was actually hungry, and that rule alone stopped me engaging in the kind of mindless gorging that I usually do at Xmas :eek:

Now I think about it, it was probably the best Xmas I've ever had foodwise because I enjoyed the foods I love without eating so much that I spent the whole time bloated, sleepy and barely able to get off the sofa!:eek:

Glad to see you've started your diet, btw - good decision! :D

Thank you all again, I was motivated all week, and i'm 1 week in, gonna keep going and maybe just stop on the days i'm off work over xmas, which is basically 2 weeks, i'll have 2 weeks as I please & sort it all in Jan, I wont have put on much. But I think knowing that i'm in the process of losing weight will help.

I have a total of three days off over christmas. Xmas day,boxing day and new years day. Its the first year I've worked it, but I think it will be easier and better for me.

I'm starting fresh on Monday.

Back