Wanting to start Lipotrim...

Foxi

Hi all,

I am new to the board and just thought I should introduce myself before I ask a few questions!

I live in N. Ireland and I am 22. I am considering the Lipotrim programme because I am overweight and want to lose around 30lbs. I am 5'6" and weigh 11 stones 5lbs. I seriously need to train myself away from being the sugar addict I am now and learn to eat healthily and lose weight to make sure I am as healthy as I can be.

I am just wondering how long the initial shakes etc stage will be before refeeding roughly, based on your own experiences? How successful have you found it once you're back on food?

Any info u can tell me will be so appreciated, it's a bit daunting considering this sort of drastic lifestyle change but I just know I am sick of being the shape I am right now!

Foxi x

Welcome to the board Foxi.

First, I would say dont put too much pressure on time periods on this diet. Initially, you need to take it day by day as you may have gathered its a difficult one to get used to a first. The guidelines state the average loss is a stone a month.

Given your statistics, your BMI is only 25.7. You are only 'just' overweight. As your weight is very close to the top end of your healthy range, you may find your losses arent as dramatic as those of us with more poundage to lose. Im not even sure LT is allowed for people with BMIs so close to healthy weight. It depends on the pharmacist I guess. Most VLCD/TFRs tend to only be suited to those with BMIs starting at over 30 and this is in keeping with the NICE guidelines. Im a Doctor myself and I certainly wouldnt recommend a VLCD to a patient whose BMI is anything less than 28.

If you say you want to train yourself on your food habits, perhaps a slimming club where you can eat and educate yourself on food that way may be more suited to you? Or another VLCD that has more steps on it where you can have the shakes but also low calorie meals?

I dont mean to throw cold water all over your plan and Im sorry if I come across as rude. Good for you for wanting to lose some weight and be healthy. A good relationship with food is what all we VLCDers are aiming for.

If I were you, I would have a good chat with your pharmacist if you have one about this and if he/she is willing to allow you to do LT. If they do, then the best of luck and enjoy the forum because there are some excellent people on here with great success stories to inspire us. I used to be a success story once, but unfortunately Im back on it again!

Take care.

Echo everything that Laura says (good post Laura)

All I will add, is the 1st week is expected to be the biggest loss - some have losses of 5 or 6lb, others 16lb or more. This can be dependant on how much you have to loose, and as you are close to healthy bmi, your losses may be lower than someone very overweight.

I'm near my bmi of 25, and plan on doing rosemary conelly in a couple of weeks (ish). She has a new plan out - lose a stone in a month - and that is with eating food... as you don't have too much to loose - as Laura says, it may be worth considering an alternative. BUT - if you do decide to go ahead - its a tough road, but worth it - very worth it.

Good luck which ever you decide.
xx

Hi Foxy. Like you I wasn't highly overweight when I started Lipotrim in Jan '09, I was 12st 4lbs and my pharmacist was lovely and very encouraging, he didn't say my BMI had to be over 30 to start LT.
Anyway I lost 3 stone in 10 weeks and I loved doing LT.
I put on a stone over christmas and new year so I went back to my pharmacist weighing 10st 6lbs and he said I could do LT for a few weeks to shift the excess.

Again, I don't mean to be rude but Taylor your start BMI was 29.5 which is bordering on the obese classification therefore you were within the guidelines to do a full VLCD. My second time my BMI was just 30 (same height and 12st 7lbs) therefore I could do it. There is a lot of difference between someone doing a VLCD with a BMI bordering on obesity and someone with a BMI bordering on health! And that is why VLCDs are recommended for people who have a lot of weight and therefore excess fat stores tonlose. Let us not forget VLCDs are not risk free and there is good reason why individuals who do not meet the requirements are not allowed to do such a drastic diet! Otherwise everyone would be allowed to do it! The sensible way to lose weight is the safest way for each individual. Guidelines are there for a reason!

Oh and furthermore, I'm suprised and quite concerned your pharmacist allowed you to LT again when your BMI was 25 (at 10st 6lbs)... That is against the NICE guidelines. I've said before I an to prescribe LT to my patients but I could not in good conscience prescribe it to someone who didn't meet the guidelines. I prefer to be safe with my patients!

Thank you for all of the advice so far here, I really appreciate it!

Princess, I know what you mean when you say I am close to health and LT may not be the best way forward. In my head though, I shouldn't be hovering between overweight and healthy, I would like to be comfortably within my healthy range. I suppose the reason LT or even CD appeals is because of the all-or-nothing approach... it is vital to be strict with the diet and yet it still delivers all of the nutrients my body needs while I get myself accustomed to not eating all the foods that are no good for me. Being able to have a strict plan of what you can and can't have would be a new thing for me. I have tried cutting out the things I love most but which are unhealthy, but couldn't last more than a few days. To be able to see results and pounds being shed in a number of weeks I think would really help motivate me from stayin away from junk food.

But anyway, I am open to suggestions on better things to do to get healthy, I just think a strict plan which really shows results is what would keep me motivated, y'know?

Foxi x

Absolutely Foxi, you have an excellent attitude and I applaud that. You may find a pharmacist who is happy to bend the rules with their patients (although I would have to seriously question their judgement) and if you do then the best of luck.

However a TFR replacement based diet may not be completely unrealistic for you. VLCD's such as CD do combination diets at different calorie levels where you have some packs and then some healthy meals have been created with lower BMIs in mind! Do a little research and see what's out there! I can tell you now, if you go and see a CD counsellor, they will not let you do the full VLCD because of your BMI. When I did it, I had to stop once my BMI went under 25, my CDC wouldn't let me continue.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Back