wasps(?) in my yard

sarahm85

Silver Member
I noticed for a few weeks now that there are quite a few what look like wasps crawling around on the ground in my back yard. They are never flying about, and there are some dead/half dead ones. They just seem to crawl around very slowly and eventually die.

I've checked about for a nest in the yard but can't seem to find where they could be coming from. In my old house there was a wasp's nest but we found it straight away as there was a huge swarm buzzing around it.

Can anyone shed some light on this, other than getting pest control in?

Hiya all I can think is that they do seem to get very doppy and drowsy at this time of year, or maybe there is someone near you who has found a wasp nest and treated it and they are the fall out. Sorry not much help but I hope you get it sorted, cos if you're like me I hate wasps!! x

We had two wasps nests this year, one in the wall of our house and one in a wall in our garden. We spotted them quite early on in the season so it was pretty easy to treat them, but if we hadnt spotted them going in and out they would have been right into breeding season and we would have been swamped.

It is coming to the end of the nesting season now, during the summer they all go around getting drunk and aggressive on sweet things, and then die off, so thats probably whats happening with yours right now. The good news is that they never nest in the same place twice, so wherever they were wont be a problem for next year. However, its worth still trying to find out where they are coming from because the queen doesnt die off, and may well be hanging around in there waiting to start again next year. If she liked it there, she may well look for a similar spot nearby.

Are you sure they are wasps and not bees. If they are bees they will be drones. Drones are harmless little chaps who do there work and then get thrown out when there usefulness has been exhausted.

This is about the time of year for them. They can not sting.

This is what they look like at this time of the year when they are dying off

If you google drone bees it makes interesting reading.

Are you sure they are wasps and not bees. If they are bees they will be drones. Drones are harmless little chaps who do there work and then get thrown out when there usefulness has been exhausted.

This is about the time of year for them. They can not sting.

This is what they look like at this time of the year when they are dying off

If you google drone bees it makes interesting reading.

That is so sad :cry: what with hens being killed by foxes and sons being nasty I just feel very emotional for the bees now :cry:Silly I know....

That is so sad :cry: what with hens being killed by foxes and sons being nasty I just feel very emotional for the bees now :cry:Silly I know....

I know, nature is pretty tough sometimes.

We made the decision not to have more hens after keeping them for 20 years that last time the fox got in. No matter what we did he found a way in. The last time he dug under the 6ft, high chain link fencing during daylight and when we were out.

We could no longer tolerate him.

Back