We wanna do it!

scottc2105

Hey guys and gals :D

Me and my other half really wanna lose weight this year. We have been calorie counting but we keep getting different information on the amounts we should eat.

We are both in really bad shape for our ages. I'm 20 and the better half is 19. My mother and father pasted away in 2008 and 2009 and since 2008 we have practically been living on domino's pizzas until around August last year when we got our own place. Before that we were living in one bedroom at my father's. I put on 3-4 stone, easy. There is a reason why we only USED TO eat take away pizza but I would rather not say.

I've never dieted before and the other half has only ever done Slimfast which she says wasn't too bad but was very expensive.

We can't really afford to join a club/gym/website but we bought a Wii Fit for our Wii. I have apparently lost 5lb in a week and the better half only 1.5lb. We wanna join WeMITTS (even though I have never dieted before) as we both have 9/10 stone to lose. We would love to do it by years end/March 2011 if that is even possible. We have gotten over our cravings and we really don't have any anymore. I have found I have a thing for oranges, I love the dam things!

I made a post in another section but now we really need some advice from the members of MM. We buy from ASDA (if your from the UK) so if there is anything anyone can recommend it would be most appreciated.

Oh, and a big well done to the people on MM that have got to their goals. Especially Jim, way to go! I noticed your pics on here and you have done amazing! Your an inspiration.

since 2008 we have practically been living on domino's pizzas

:eek::eek::eek: are you me and my other half?!

welcome- and best of luck with your weight loss journeys; it's great you're doing it together- as i've said before on here my o/h is not dieting and sometimes he doesn't make it very easy for me!!

you both seem to be heading in the right direction weight wise so you must be doing something right. without meaning to sound condescending is your other half bearing in mind that women generally need less cals than men? i know it's easy to just have the same portions for meals but i always have to remind myself that my o/h is entitled to more cals than i am!

if you like sweet things i love the alpen chocolate and fudge bars- they're about 70cal and not hugely cheap at about £1.80 for 5 but they hit the spot when i fancy something sweet usually.

are you meat eaters? and if so do you ever cook with turkey mince? that stuff is my rock when dieting-it's so versatile and imo more tasty than beef mince etc. i quite often make nice big turkey burgers in wholemeal buns for tea and they're fab. mix a small pack of turkey mince with an beaten egg, chuck in some spices, a dash of worcester sauce or bbq sauce perhaps for more kick, shape and grill. yum! if i fancy a cheeseburger i add a little parmesan to the top instead of loading it with cheese. all this talk of food is making me hungry, i totally know what's for tea tonight!!

Haha, nah I am not me and my other half. It's a long story why we where doing that though. We were always given 50% and I wonder why, it was costing us around £500 a month ...annnddd you just fell to the floor didn't you?

We do eat meat although mostly fish or chicken breast. We found these lovely chicken breast with breaded coating by Bird's Eye. There about £2.90 for two but one is only 290cals and is great for tea. Tastes just like McDonalds (I haven't had one of those in a LONG time).

We should starting making some of our own stuff and what you just mentioned sounds awesome. What ingredients (brands) and price does it cost to make those?

EDIT: I forgot, yeah she knows she needs less than me. She started eating 1350 but I can't sit in front of her and eat while she can't I feel awful. So I just eat the same, bad for me I know.

Last edited:
Haha, nah I am not me and my other half. It's a long story why we where doing that though. We were always given 50% and I wonder why, it was costing us around £500 a month ...annnddd you just fell to the floor didn't you?

We do eat meat although mostly fish or chicken breast. We found these lovely chicken breast with breaded coating by Bird's Eye. There about £2.90 for two but one is only 290cals and is great for tea. Tastes just like McDonalds (I haven't had one of those in a LONG time).

We should starting making some of our own stuff and what you just mentioned sounds awesome. What ingredients (brands) and price does it cost to make those?

EDIT: I forgot, yeah she knows she needs less than me. She started eating 1350 but I can't sit in front of her and eat while she can't I feel awful. So I just eat the same, bad for me I know.

oh wow! honestly i would never judge anyone at all, i don't know your circumstances and it's none of my business, but woah, £500 is a lot of money! i'm glad for you that you're not sacrificing that sort of cash to dominos now.

have you thought about making your own breaded chicken? easy as pie and you could probably do it with even less cals than that! get some chicken breasts, an egg (maybe even just an egg white if you're wanting to be very calorie conscious) and some breadcrumbs. dip the chicken in the egg, then roll it on a plate or bowl of breadcrumbs until it's coated, and then onto a tray coated with foil and bung in the oven! i'm not sure how many calories that'd be but i'm sure it wouldn't be an awful lot. i'm sure you could probably have 2 normal sized breasts and 2 small wholemeal rolls for tea and it would probably be around about the 500cal mark. maybe i'm off like, i'd need to see the packs, that's just a rough estimate.

i think asda charge £1.80 for a pack of turkey mince, if you have spices and such about then just add a little of what you fancy (i never really weigh or measure, i just wing it and it usually turns out fine but i would imagine a teaspoon or two of spice would be more than adequate, i like smoked paprika a lot so quite often use that) as i say i add an egg to keep it together, but as above you could always just use the white. i would do that, but i am lazy and just end up chucking in the whole lot :break_diet:. as i say if i have bbq sauce i'll maybe add a splash, or worcester sauce etc. depends on your personal tastes- alternatively you could save your sauce for putting on top of the burger. when shaping the burgers if i am making for myself and o/h i will make 4 burgers- 2 smaller and 2 bigger- he gets the bigger ones. you don't have to eat when your missus can't- just give yourself a bit more at mealtimes. turkey burgers work out to be very cheap really as long as you're stocked up with spices and condiments you like anyway. wholemeal buns only cost what, 60p maybe? of course add any salad you like too.

oh and do you have a steamer? steamed fish and vegetables is veeeery healthy for you and it's lovely too.

oh and do you have a steamer? steamed fish and vegetables is veeeery healthy for you and it's lovely too.

No but our microwave can steam. We tried it about a month or two ago with carrots and they tasted just like my late mother's used to in the steamer. Does that count?

In regards to the £500 a month a domino's, the only reason we could afford it is because my father didn't charge us rent. He didn't want us to move out as he liked the company but he had so many nurses etc we could never get down to make any food. Bless him.

Anyway, we have our own place now, ready to lose it all. :character00116:

i wasn't prying, honest, i do feel for you, it doesn't sound as though your life has been very easy.

i'm not too sure about the microwave steaming as mine doesn't do that (USELESS MICROWAVE!) but if it has instructions for meat definitely give it a go. one of my favourite dishes is steamed fish and noodles with hoi sin sauce or similar. yum.

also do you like chinese food? sharwoods do a black bean sauce in a jar, it's meant to be for 3 people but it's only 88cal per 1/3 jar, so about 120cal per half jar. it's bloody lovely. i have that with chicken and (wholewheat) noodles quite often and it really feels like a treat to me. weight watchers chili con carne sauce is quite nice too with turkey mince and a bit of rice.

best of luck to you both, you can do it! x

I'm a big fan of cereal. I would eat it all day if I could. I must have that for breakfast atleast and maybe for dinner if the better half allows.

We have been trying the WW ready meals and the ocean pie is fab. With 150g of skins on chips it's around 360kcal for it all but I feel like I shouldn't be having chips and ready meals make me feel like I'm putting junk in my body. :(

Homemade chips are just chopped up potatos baked in the oven :)

I believe you can both do it. Lots of water, I never believed it, but I drink at least 2 litres a day now, after forcing myself to do it for a week to see if it would help... and it really does decrease your appetite. Well, it did mine :)

I was on about 2 fish n chip suppers and 2 pizza takeaways a week, a couple of years ago. Its amazing how easy it is to get out of the routine of cooking, and I have thoroughly enjoyed learning how to cook real food.

Stir fries are my saviour :D

Good luck to you and your partner :D :D 2010 will be your year!!
[and mine too plz, thx!]

Hey guys.

Good luck. You can do it. I am sorry to hear about your parents.

I know what you mean about not feeling like eating ready meals and chips but as long as you are within your calories I dont see why it wouldnt be allowed. Just be careful about salt I think ready meals contain loads.

Have you thought about Weight Watchers or slimming world. I refuse to pay a fiver to have someone weigh me so dont go to the clubs just got all the info online. Give me a shout if you want the details.

Sam x

The general idea on any diet is lower the calories and preferably increase calorie expenditure... so eat less and exercise more. It sounds like the two of you are making some very positive changes in your lives!

If I were to give you any advice, I'd say try to cook more instead of relying on ready meals - they might be low in calories, but they're also full of cr*p including salt and all sorts of preservatives. Nothing beats freshly cooked, healthy food and there are loads of options for quick, tasty and healthy food... stir fries are great, or you could make a pot of soup or stew one night and put half of it in the fridge for the following day. Or like Colly said make your own burgers or breaded chicken! One of my fave things to do is make a big pot of veggie chilli and freeze some, then it's just a matter of heating in the microwave when I want it. There's thousands of recipes and ideas online.
Also, what cereal are you eating? Some cereals are as bad for you as a bar of chocolate in terms of sugar content!!!

How do most people lose 8lbs in a week? I'm guessing they're on VLCDs (Very low calorie diets)/food replacement diets like Cambridge or Lighter Life. On a normal diet a long term healthy weight loss is 1-2lbs a week.

Hey Silence,

The only thing with homemade stuff is that we have no idea of how many kcals are in it. The whole make your own burger thing sounds lovely and I mentioned it to other half (who loves to cook can you believe?) and she said she could do that.

I wanted to raid the cupboards last night I was dam hungry. Settled with one Jaffa Cake in the end :p

Know of any free sites with recipes?

Back