wednesday 8th October 2008

fatstitcher

WEDNESDAY 8TH OCTOBER 2008
It’s only 9.40am and I am already shattered!! The reason being I have been completing the Disability Living Allowance form in for Ben’s renewal claim, and it is always so distressing as I have to actually describe how his disabilities affect him and us. I don’t tend to have it at the forefront of my mind all the times, I actually manage to put it to the back and out of the way quite successfully.
So along with a 40 page application form there is a 6 page document from us detailing how Ben’s disability affects him in comparison to his peers. There are also copious amounts of copied medical reports etc attached the form to. Guess who had to put it all together with no help from hubby, yes you are correct me....
I am glad to report I have not strayed from plan this week even though I have had to face the reality of Ben’s disability head-on with no support.
I have survived on home-made Mushroom soup and my consultants Veg broth (made with Super Free Veg) which I have renamed “Billy No Mates Soup” for reasons which I do not want to detail but lets put it this way have All Bran for Breakfast, this Soup for lunch and then Quorn or “Windy Pie” for tea you will be “Billy No Mates”.
Hubby renaming our house “Where the Wind Blows – constantly” – ha ha ha.
Am hoping that having the soup along with sticking to plan will help me lose that 5.5lb I gained last week.
I am having a mix to max week as I have to have my meat and have found that by alternating my lunch/tea and green/original meals I am able to have a varied selection of meals. I have noticed to that since am having soup throughout the day, as it is syn free, I am less tempted to snack on crisps etc as I am feeling full all day.
Anyway that’s my early morning thoughts – am off now to do the more mundane things in my life, washing, ironing etc.

Michelle

Hiya Hon
Used to work for DLA so know what you mean about the form, sorry your day didnt start to well filling the flipping thing in they are so flipping huge and filling out renewal ones is even more time consuming , just munch that soup and keep going, you will deffo have lost this week if your running around so much

Gen x

Hi Michelle, my god no wonder ur shattered this morning what a lot of paperwork 4 the claim. I take it Ben is ur son? How old is he?
I too am supposed to be doing washing/ironing etc but came on here & don't want to come off. Just starting SW again today so need inspiration from all u guys out there.
I've just made Butternut Squash soup this morning so hope it doesn't have the same effects as ur soup!!!

Aww I feel for you I had to fill in the Disability Living Allowance form for my son and it is a pain. Especially how they ask how many mins a day does this affect them. What a silly question. Im always ready for a sleepafter filling that form it takes forever.

Ben is our 8 year old son he has quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy and Global Developemental delay, so having to face reality this week has been hard but it's done now, just want hubby to read through it this evening then I will take great pleasure in walking to the postbox tomorrow and sending it off.

Michelle

DLA is a nightmare. My sister has type 1 diabetes and they have refused to give my mum and money at all. They are saying that she doesn't have any disability at all. My sister's diabetes is not under control. She can go from being a sugar level of 1 (nearly coma), then she will eat a small sandwich and it can send her sugars up to 20 in the space of 10 mins! She always has ketones as well. She is in and out hospital every month. Yet the Government claims she doesn't have a disability!

DLA is a nightmare. My sister has type 1 diabetes and they have refused to give my mum and money at all. They are saying that she doesn't have any disability at all. My sister's diabetes is not under control. She can go from being a sugar level of 1 (nearly coma), then she will eat a small sandwich and it can send her sugars up to 20 in the space of 10 mins! She always has ketones as well. She is in and out hospital every month. Yet the Government claims she doesn't have a disability!

Thats awful I hope your mum has appealed against there decition. Also I had someone from the DLA come and meet me and help me fill out my form because apparently there is certain things they look for when deciding if you are entitled so maybe ask if someone can help her fill out the form.

I know your pain hun.

We have two we claim for and I hate it :mad:

Could they make the forms any more complicated? Plus you feel like you're slagging off your own children don't you?

Luckily we only renewed once and then it was awarded until they are 16. No need to apply again.

Thats awful I hope your mum has appealed against there decition. Also I had someone from the DLA come and meet me and help me fill out my form because apparently there is certain things they look for when deciding if you are entitled so maybe ask if someone can help her fill out the form.

She has appealed 3 times but they didnt mention anything about having someone to help fill out the form. My sister is 17, so I think her age is an issue.

It's a bit late I know but I when I weighed in on friday I had actually lost 4lb of the 5.5lb I had put on, it would have been more but it turned out to be star week (5 days early!!).

fabstitcher

A loss on * week is fab! well done! xxxx

Back