Weigh in dilemma!

Hi everyone, I joined slimming world on Thursday at one of my local groups and I am now having a dilemma about my first weigh in!

I am a shift worker at a local hospital and work 12.5hr shifts, days and nights and there is no pattern to the shifts, which means that I will have to attend several different slimming world groups for weigh in as they need to fit in with my days off.

My day off this week is Wednesday so I was planning to weigh in then, however on Wednesday afternoon before weigh in I am going to be having a champagne afternoon tea at browns to celebrate my best friends 40th birthday! Is it going to be a really stupid idea to go and have my first weigh in straight after that??

My only other options are Tuesday morning straight after finishing a night shift but I find I'm always severely bloated after nights, or Thursday evening before I go to work but that will be cutting it fine to get to work!

Any advice on when would be best to weigh in would be greatly appreciated! I just don't want to go to my first weigh in and have put on!!

Thanks everyone!

Chrissie xx

Hi I think I would opt for the Tuesday morning after your shift because all though you feel bloated I think this will give you your most accurate weight losses if you can attend that one every week, if your weighing at different times of the day each time you go group I.e morning an evening you won't get a accurate worth as your body changes weight through out the day hope that helps an enjoy your champagne afternoon

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to be mostly going to the Wednesday evening group for the next few weeks as that's when I'm off work, so should I just go with that even though I will be weighing on a very full stomach after a very indulgent day??

Hi we have someone who does night shifts in our group and he was gutted because he got weighed in right after his night shift finished and gained 2 lbs, but once he went to sleep and reweighed himself he lost the 2lbs and an extra one. Something about your body, going to sleep triggering it to think its new day or something... dont quote me lol .

so I wouldnt say do tuesday morning after shift all the time, but you are only have one meal out, it wont happen every week, so I would be careful at the do, dont over do it, or use your syns and then weigh in on wednesday. tell yourself its a one off, was a friends brithday! you had fun! before you step on the scales, to mentally cope with the number and then back to the plan to give it some wellie for next wednesday, good luck let us know how you get on!

Thanks neveragain, I think I'm gonna stick to the Wednesday weigh in as I had originally planned. I'm saving up lots of my syns this week anyway, ready to account for Wednesdays indulgent afternoon and like you say, even if it means that it affects this weeks weigh in, it should come off next week as normal.

I've promised myself that I'm gonna still live my life and do everything I want to do, to not feel like I'm being restricted as that is where I totally fall down. It's just unfortunate that my first bad day is gonna coincide with my first weigh in! But hey, it's the first of many right?? It's not like it's the only important weigh in!

Thanks for the help guys xx

I am a nurse and when I attended classes I had to go around shifts. Some weeks I was being either after 5 days then maybe 10 days depending on when I was off and when classes were running. I found if I was a run of nights I defo put on weight cos I wouldn't eat "food" just the night shift nibbles. If your gonna be able to go next few Wednesday's try go to that even though you'll have had an indulgent day. Helps you find a support a system and be weighed "weekly" rather than sporadically. I think it's why I gave up the twice I did previously. Good luck! And enjoy your tea lol X

Yeah that's exactly what I'm struggling with milliesmummyx, I'm actually finding it hard to plan to eat enough tomorrow as I will be sleeping most of the day before my night shift! I'm planning to take a big tub of chopped up speed fruit and an extra portion of what I'll have had for dinner to tide me over and hopefully keep me away from any tempting things that might have appeared over the last few days!!

I'm really looking forward to Wednesday now, talking about it has really helped me chill out about the whole situation and think it through more rationally. If I don't lose this week or even end up gaining it's not the end of the world. There's always next week :p

Thanks everyone!

Back