Weighing In....

lickthelid

Lives here....
I read recently that the Japanese advocate daily weighing. Something we are strictly told not to do on the basis that we fluctuate wildly across the week. Women in particular are subject to this due to hormones and water retention in our wobbly bits.

The theory is that it promotes a mindfulness and is a natural weight loss aid. That knowing how much you weigh will see you make better choices daily and that, gradually, over time those numbers should go down without a conscious effort.

Japan has a crazy low rate of obesity and as I've dug further into this have much healthier eating practices all round. The mindfulness extends to eating only to 80% capacity and then waiting a while to see if you want more.

However it's the weighing that interests me at present.

Are we right to only weigh once a week or would daily weighing actually help us?

What do you do??

Last edited:
Try daily weighing Sam and see what it does for you.:)

If a gain a day won't make you reach for the biscuit tin then you have nothing to lose. It's if it effects you then you would have to stop.

Look at what Japan eats compared to what we English eat thou.

I have been weighing every day since the 100% challenge thread was started as I was just interested to see how quickly they may go down with cutting out the crap.:)

I think for daily weighing to work you need to have the right mindset that if they go up then it won't affect you by saying sod it I'll have an extra choc bar today now or don't eat that day. You have to move on,stay on plan and hopefully see a loss the next day/week. Also I think you have to look at it over a month rather than a day/week.

There have been threads on here by people who weigh once a month I remember to take that idea to the extreme. I also remember being quite envious of that mindset. I think you are right that you have to approach it with the knowledge that we fluctuate and the realisation that what we eat the day before will affect it in a volume type way.

I don't think weighing in once a month would work for me because for the first week at least I would be all "oh it's AGES until weigh day plenty of time to claw it back". I used to do this weekly as it was and I'm hoping that a daily weigh in will remove that completely because it's only ever "hours" until the next weigh in not days. Every day is a Wednesday haha.

As you say look at it over the month which is what I use @Kay003 s challenge page for as she does an amazing job of totting it up

Japan has got a good health ratio as they are surrounded by sea so seafood is eaten more than meats.That is why they have a low rate of heart disease.I didn't know they don't consume dairy.
Since they have introduced more meats they do have more health problems.Only 3% of women are obese. But how many is that in numbers compared to how many over here.

One thing I have noticed since only having red meat once a week is my sinusitis has almost disappeared.

I fancy doing a Japanese diet for a week just to see how I feel afterwards.:) Going to do some googling as now I'm on holiday it will be easier to plan it.:)

From reading some info on internet it seems that frequent weighing may be a hallmark of successful dieters and weight maintainers and that daily weighing may be useful in preventing weight regain after weight loss and in preventing age-related weight gain.

But we are surrounded by the sea so why don't we eat more fish? I think over the years our diet has become less traditional and more processed. My grandparents would never have eaten as I do. Particularly the quantities. Or should I say as I USED to!

I agree the Japanese diet is a tempting one to try. The theory of only eating to 80% full is good too I think and promotes that my awareness of our satiety and our natural full limits. I'd be very interested to see how you get on.

Weighing regularly seems to be far from a bad thing from what you have found out too. Interestingly I have to wonder whether SW actively discourage for our benefit or for theirs??!

I did not know that. Well I'm fairly close haha.

Back