Weighing scales.. do I don't I.. and recommendations

Caz

Repeat Offender
My scales are alright, but they seem to take a while to settle on a number sometimes it seems. They're meant to measure body fat and the like but I have absolutely no idea how idea how to do that on them! I got them from someone who bought new ones, and the brand and model has rubbed off, so I can't find a manual online even. So I'm thinking I might buy new ones that will measure body fat and the like, or do I just not worry about that as long as I'm losing and stick with what I've got?

Hmm, it depends... :D

Are you someone who gets upset when the scales say something that you're not expecting - that is, that you've gained a pound when you've been 100% for days? Cos if you are, stick with the scales you've got - and try to stay off them, LOL.

On the other hand, if you're someone who can cope with the whole weight-loss thing as being a scientific experiment, who wouldn't get dishearted by what appear to be odd changes in body composition - then go for it. :D

Me personally - I'm avoiding scales altogether at the moment and just weighing in at my CDC's house. I'm one of those people who knows intellectually that scales 'lie' but who can still be inclined to throw the baby out with the bathwater if she sees a duff result... :)

I used to be, but not so much now. I'm more going on how I feel, and if I feel better, then who gives a damn what the scales say! I might not feel like that every day, but I'm getting there. I do find numbers and statistics interesting though, so gives me another number to play around with!

it depends on what you really want ... scales or other things ?

i personally wouldnt have scales in the house, when i did s/world years ago,i was always on them everyday and it made me neurotic

Being someone who has to weigh each day I'd say buy the scales, but obviously I'm biased ;). Why not hold off for a couple of weeks and see how you feel then? (or alternatively rush out and buy a new set today
!)

Surreystar i'm the same, i compulsively weigh each and every morning, i stay 100% regardless of what they say, but i like to know the changes as they occur. I also keep a diary of each daily weight.

Maybe i'll see a pattern arise with my losses? who knows, but that's me and that's how i like it hehe x

I would buy new scales only if you feel yours are not accurate, or if like you said, you want more features (fat ratios etc).

I weigh every day too, I like creating little charts and graphs with the data... I know, I'm sad!! It helps me though I think. I see the way my body works. I'm creating a spreadsheet at the moment where I track my daily weight along with my water intake, to see if there's any correlation. I don't drink nearly enough, only about a litre a day, so the hope is to motivate me to drink more!

So, yeah, I'm a geek so the idea of more data to play with kind interests me!

I think it's good to have a pair of decent scales (aren't Salter mentioned a lot) but I'm not convinced with the accuracy of the fat %. Sure you could use to see how the % decreased but in my books, the only one to get a really decent fat measurement is through calipers with someone who knows how to take them properly.

I only realised two years ago what a difference weighing on tiles vs carpet made. I should have realised that sooner (4lbs overnight!)

Are you using them on carpet? Try them on a flat, hard, solid surface with new batteries, see how they do :)

I agree i think maybe the batteries need replacing in your scales Hayley x

I've just been referred to Rosemary Conely for the next 12 weeks by my health woman. I did point out that the dieting bit won't be any help to me but my HT said that I can go along just for the exercise bit if I want, so I said that I might as well. So I'll listen to the talk about food and dieting as it will help during maintenence, and it means I get a pack which includes these portion scale things which will be helpful too. But anyway, to to point Caroline!! Man I ramble, sorry. At the end of the 12 weeks, if I've lost weight, which doing it along with CD I definitely will do, then my the referral people give me a voucher for Lloyds Pharmacy for a set of scales. Apparently they're a pretty decent set of Salter scales that do the body fat percentage and stuff too, so I shall hold out and get my free set in 3 months when I'm hopefully 3 stone lighter! :)

Totally agree that it depends on your reaction when you see the result on the scales. For me its part of my retraining. I know I am sticking to CD regardless of the scales but weighing myself daily allows me to train my brain not to eat because of the reading. I bought Salter scales in argos sale this week. Advise was that % fat is not totally accurate but a guide and is good to use to see increases or decreases. Mine also measure muscle mass which I have been told can be important when nearer to target.

I bought some SALTER scales 2 weeks ago from Argos on sale - they had loads on sale, not sure if they still do!

They seem good but are 3lb out compared to my CDC.

I weigh each morning too! Im just glad that the number is getting less :)

Yup, I weigh myself daily. And I have an excel sheet with lots and lots of figures in it that calculates all sorts! It's partly done by someone on here, with some of my own additions. Currently working on a chart that will track water intake against losses, see if there's any correlation. Only started keeping the data today though. Oh my goodness I'm such a geek!!

I think it's good to have a pair of decent scales (aren't Salter mentioned a lot) but I'm not convinced with the accuracy of the fat %. Sure you could use to see how the % decreased but in my books, the only one to get a really decent fat measurement is through calipers with someone who knows how to take them properly.

I only realised two years ago what a difference weighing on tiles vs carpet made. I should have realised that sooner (4lbs overnight!)

LC

Calipers are the best unless you are an Olympic athlete -- they use weighing in water at the U.S. Olympic training centre. That is supposed to be the most accurate way to assess % of body fat.

MM

Back