Weight Loss & Dress Sizes (UK)

Instant_Karma

Lardy Lady
Hi,

So I'm 178lbs right now and roughly a 16/18 dress size, I was wondering how much I would need to lose to fit into a comfortable size 14?

It's my first long-term goal, and I've estimated around 154lbs for my height (5ft 3") - could anyone of a similar height / weight give me some advice?
I know it can vary depending on build and muscle mass etc but I'm just looking for some estimates.

I'm 5"3 and currently weigh 163lbs but I'm still wearing a size 16. Think I'd need to lose another stone before I dropped down to a 14, so you could well be in a 14 at 154lbs I have a small frame so don't carry my weight well.

Hope this helps.

I think a lot will depend on your build. I tend to carry my weight well, and am in the same size as a friend of mine who is a good 3 stone lighter than me.

xxx

It does seem to depend on factors such as:

Your build
Where your fat is distributed
Whether you have worked out whilst losing weight.
Your height

I, for example, have lost nearly three stone and gone down two dress sizes on top, but only one dress size on the bottom. I'm a real pear. No fair!

Last edited:
It does seems to depend on factors such as:

Your build
Where your fat is distributed
Whether you have worked out whilst losing weight.
Your height

I, for example, have lost nearly three stone and gone down two dress sizes on top, but only one dress size on the bottom. I'm a real pear. No fair!

I wish I could use those factors to create an estimate for myself, but I think I'll have to wait until I get a stone or so closer yet :(. I'm quite short, height-wise, but I've been overweight for so long I'm not really sure what my natural 'build' is, I think probably medium. My weight is quite evenly distributed but I don't have much in the way of hips, so I'm top-heavy if anything! I think when I get down to 165lbs (which has been a 16 for me, generally), I'll have a better idea :)

xx

To be honest the problem is just as much to do with the different shops and brands. They are all different e.g. I think George at Asda is cut more generously than Sainsbury's Tu. (I will only buy cheap clothes at the mo as I refuse to invest in my big fat body.) I think if you shop around you'll be surprised at the differences.

To be honest the problem is just as much to do with the different shops and brands. They are all different e.g. I think George at Asda is cut more generously than Sainsbury's Tu. (I will only buy cheap clothes at the mo as I refuse to invest in my big fat body.) I think if you shop around you'll be surprised at the differences.

The variation between shops is a good point - but I'd like to be a comfortable middle/small 14 and then I'll be able to fit the standard in most normal high street shops (River Island, New Look, Dorothy Perkins etc). I'd be quite happy to spend £20 or so on a pair of 14 jeans - they're a bit more adaptable after weight loss than tops, and you can always tighten them with belts if you get to a 12, etc.

5ft1 and 153lbs im in size 12/14 mainly.. some things i can get ten but they got to be stretchy stuff like leggings.

I'm 5'1 too, and approx 173lbs this week. (It changes quite quickly with the diet I am on).

My size 16 jeans are now all quite loose on me, I have so far managed to fasten 1 pair of 14s (yay!) but they weren't comfortable and I don't think I could go out in them yet. I reckon another half-stone and 14 bottoms should start to fit OK.......

My top half is still an 18/20 though, my back is getting thinner but I have big boobs!

Back