Weight Loss journeys in the SW mag.....

I was just about to start a thread about weight losses when I saw this one already made :) I've just been looking at the Inspiration Slide Show up there ^^^ and have to say that it is AMAZING. The transformations are incredible, and there's a range of weight losses depicted. And the one thing that rings true for all of them is the difference it has clearly made to that individual's life. I'm pretty sure that without exception, everyone looked unhappy in their "before" pictures, but looked fabulously happy in their "after" pictures, regardless of whether the "after" made them a size 8/10 or a 14/16. And I have to say that I found them inspirational--it stopped me going to the fridge for that jaffa cake thing I made last night because I want my photos up there with theirs.

I haven't read SW magazine for such a long time (especially now I'm in the States) but I felt far more inspired by the snapshot style photos up there, of people that weren't made over for a professional photo shoot, than the glossy magazine pics. It seemed more real and more accessible to me. If you haven't looked at the slideshow, take a few minutes to have a look at it. It is amazing. Not everyone lost weight on SW, and in fact in most cases it doesn't say how they lost the weight but the point is it can be done and the results are there for all to see.

I congratulate ANYONE who loses weight, regardless of how much. And in terms of the magazine, I think it is important for them to show a range of weight losses to appeal to the most potential members as possible. After all, it is a business.

Hello everyone,

Well said cocktailprincess. I have a mighty long, long, LONG way to go, but if I had a penny for everytime I wished so hard I could 'only' have a stone to lose, or go back to a time when I was much smaller, I'd be rich!

At the same time jojo, I see your point. I don't know anyone in my life as heavy as me, so I can occasionally feel disheartened and negativity takes over. The last person I read about that lost close to what I'm looking to lose was that guy who lost 25st and recently ran the marathon (his name escapes me).

So I guess I'm kind of middle ground.

By the way, I'm new!! HELLO!! *waves*

Welcome christiana! - we all love a good debate around here so im glad to see you jump straight in! Not everyone will look or see your reply to this thread thought so go ahead and introduce yourself properly on the slimmingworld off topic section :)

I totally get what your saying. I often think back to all the times my mum gave me an oppurtunity to loose weight.. meetings, nutrionalists.. i would have had far less to loose.

When i first started, i had a rough idea that i needed/wanted to lose 5stone, and it seemed like such an uphill battle at times, somtimes i thought i'd never get there.. so i can only imagine how you feel when you hit a negative moment.. but i suppose thats where you build your inner strength, and learn how to motivate yourself.

I hope your in the magazine before long, telling us all your weight loss journey. Im sure there are many other of your same statistics who feel the same!! xxx

Welcome, Christiana :wavey: You'll love this site--it's an absolutely wonderful source of support and inspiration. Hope to see you posting around and about :D

I really wished I'd picked up SW magazine from a shop before I got married. I was 22, and weighed 10st 7. I really wanted to lose a stone before I my wedding. I thought about joining a SW/ WW group but just thought I would get laughed out of the place, if I'd have read about someone in the magazine having a smaller loss I would have gone there and then.

My weight slowly crept up and up, and when I joined SW late December I had almost 3 stone to lose. Which isn't alot to some people, but it was to me. I see the stories with women with smaller losses as quite inspirational and relevant to me. The stories if bigger losses are amazing, but have never motivated me, because I couldn't identify with them. I couldn't see myself in anyway in those people.

JMO x

All I'd like is a few more blokes in it. It's also a shame that we will never see a guy on the cover because it is marketed as woman's magazine. I always find the stories interesting tho.

I do tend to skip by the makeup and fashion bits at the back of the mag tho! Don't think I need to know what eye shadow or nail varnish I should be using this season!

just wanted to say

SIZE 12 IS SLIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm fed up of hearing it classed as overweight.

Sorry-rant over.:kissass:

Hello everyone,

Well said cocktailprincess. I have a mighty long, long, LONG way to go, but if I had a penny for everytime I wished so hard I could 'only' have a stone to lose, or go back to a time when I was much smaller, I'd be rich!

At the same time jojo, I see your point. I don't know anyone in my life as heavy as me, so I can occasionally feel disheartened and negativity takes over. The last person I read about that lost close to what I'm looking to lose was that guy who lost 25st and recently ran the marathon (his name escapes me).

So I guess I'm kind of middle ground.

By the way, I'm new!! HELLO!! *waves*

Welcome Christina,

I have a long, long way to go too, but I have slowly lost 4½ stones in the last 15 months, so we can do it even if it takes time.

I wish you every success in your weight loss with SW.

I think the magazine if fab - but I never find a 'relevant' story - i would love someone with the same stats as me, age, height - start weight - i think ive only ever found one that was close.

Thats just a selfish thought tho - the people in the magazines look great, and i plan on trying to get in the mag myself one day when i hit my PAT! xxx

I do tend to skip by the makeup and fashion bits at the back of the mag tho! Don't think I need to know what eye shadow or nail varnish I should be using this season!

:8855::8855::8855: This did make me chuckle!!

Turns out the bloke in this months magazine is my friends consultant.. and yes ladies.. as suspected, he's gay!

I have read and re-read this thread over the last week, and feel ready to post now.
I can see both sides of this debate - having been in both camps in my time (a lifelong event it seems)! I'd like to add my thoughts - apologies in advance if this is disagreeable!

For me, the irritation I have mainly is with those who don't *get* the struggle.

Sometimes the SW magazine features those who did get to grips with their need to lose a relatively small amount and did it - success. Or those who have never had to diet before, realised weight had crept on, did SW, then were slim - success. Good for them - all success is due praise and recognition, and indeed everyone's weight loss journey is personal. I salute any successful slimmer no matter their age, size or loss (admittedly at times with some jealousy!)

My frustration is that the lifelong struggles that some of us have, the repeated failures, the natural changes due to pregnancy or illness, and the real permanent effort it takes to get a grip and be a successful slimmer are not understood by those that haven't *been there*. I feel SW magazine doesn't always address that - I've always thought there should be a diary column of sorts, detailing the struggles some of us have. After all its the journey that is so daunting - the destination feels a long way off!

After a lifetime (I'm 40 this year) of being anything between a size 10 and a size 22 (pregnancies etc)I lost 5 st successfully on SW 2 years ago - then became very ill with gall bladder ops and complications after, and have had 4 surgeries in the last 2 years. Nearly 4st of that loss has gone back on, and now I'm taking control again and back on track. I can't attend class as I can't afford it, but I did bump into my C recently and I could read the look on her face. We chatted for a bit but it became really clear that she didn't understand. She was a successful 'one time' slimmer - lost her 2 st and never looked back. She doesn't *get* the struggle imo. Thats what I find so frustrating. Some people can just *do* it, others (like me) have to really really work so very hard to even begin.

I hope that makes sense - and that I haven't upset anyone. So sorry if I have. I just wanted to add my perspective, for what its worth.

xx

Last edited:
I think that completly makes sence, and i totally agree cupcake.

Im hoping that i will be one of those people who only lost it once and never looked back.. but i didnt just wake up fat one day and suddenly realise i needed to do somthing, i was in and out of groups and nutrionalists offices since i was 10.. I just couldnt do it, and gave up.. and like others on and on it went to the point i resigned to being fat and got on with it.. Its not lazyness, i just could not do it. You really do have to be emtionally ready for the changes and hardship it brings, sw is easy in that its such a fabulous plan, but it makes the journey its self no easier. I hope thats why i will never be one of those people who never got the struggle, but i think alot os C's nowadays are the same. It sounds awful but im greatful my C is a 'true slimmer' in that she is constantly dealing with it, and isnt afriad to stand up when shes gained a stone back because her mum died and she just could hack it .. but is proud when she gets it back off again. It can be difficult when you know youv been there before, or the end seems so far away.

I suppose its all trial and error for sw. They need to appeal to wide range of people, but every single person has a personal journey, its impossible for the magazine to be able to reach every single person in a way that makes a difference to them. xxxx

I've read everyones posts, and I agree with everyones replies! Yes, a stone and a half weight loss for someone who was a size 12 isn't fat in the first place, but it's that persons perception, isn't it? I've lost almost a stone and a half now (I wasn't a size 12 to start with, I think one leg and boob may have been! ;)) and feel that I need to do at least that again. I may disagree when I get there, and either stop or set another target, but I can't remember being that small (it's been 8 years!) so I don't know!

I love getting the mag, I alwaes do at least one recipe, and I read everyones journeys. We alwaes try and guess how old they are, before reading their age too! I'd love to be in it, and have the makeover! Elle, shall we do it together? ;)

I have read and re-read this thread over the last week, and feel ready to post now.
I can see both sides of this debate - having been in both camps in my time (a lifelong event it seems)! I'd like to add my thoughts - apologies in advance if this is disagreeable!

For me, the irritation I have mainly is with those who don't *get* the struggle.

Sometimes the SW magazine features those who did get to grips with their need to lose a relatively small amount and did it - success. Or those who have never had to diet before, realised weight had crept on, did SW, then were slim - success. Good for them - all success is due praise and recognition, and indeed everyone's weight loss journey is personal. I salute any successful slimmer no matter their age, size or loss (admittedly at times with some jealousy!)

My frustration is that the lifelong struggles that some of us have, the repeated failures, the natural changes due to pregnancy or illness, and the real permanent effort it takes to get a grip and be a successful slimmer are not understood by those that haven't *been there*. I feel SW magazine doesn't always address that - I've always thought there should be a diary column of sorts, detailing the struggles some of us have. After all its the journey that is so daunting - the destination feels a long way off!

After a lifetime (I'm 40 this year) of being anything between a size 10 and a size 22 (pregnancies etc)I lost 5 st successfully on SW 2 years ago - then became very ill with gall bladder ops and complications after, and have had 4 surgeries in the last 2 years. Nearly 4st of that loss has gone back on, and now I'm taking control again and back on track. I can't attend class as I can't afford it, but I did bump into my C recently and I could read the look on her face. We chatted for a bit but it became really clear that she didn't understand. She was a successful 'one time' slimmer - lost her 2 st and never looked back. She doesn't *get* the struggle imo. Thats what I find so frustrating. Some people can just *do* it, others (like me) have to really really work so very hard to even begin.

I hope that makes sense - and that I haven't upset anyone. So sorry if I have. I just wanted to add my perspective, for what its worth.

xx

I'm sorry your C was like that, I'm shocked! My C is on her 4th journey with SW, after pregnancies, and is amazing! She knows that people slip up, or gain for other reasons and that it's normal!

Keep up the good work, you can do it!

Love to Claire - i think yours mine, Helen and now Lou's journeys would be a great story - although we are all going to arrive at targets at different times - you first I think!!!xxx

Fern & Cupcake have pretty much said everything I think on this, some people have had a tougher journey and understand that dieting isn't an easy thing and life can give you crap some times that really you can't deal with and the diet has to be put to one side.

A lot of us (I'd say 995) have been on several diets and dieted for many years and probably quite a few have resigned ourselves to always being larger than what is expected of us then had to really work to budge that excess. I think back a few years ago and I thought I was huge at a small size 14 and tried SW, I lost some but it wasn't the right time for me and I gained that amount and far more when I moved in with OH. Now is my right time and I'm 100% focussed, the whole effort is selfishly for myself and I've found it helps. The magazine can try and please every one but at the end of the day we all have our own journeys and if it isn't your time then no amount of huge or small weight loss article will help.

Love to Claire - i think yours mine, Helen and now Lou's journeys would be a great story - although we are all going to arrive at targets at different times - you first I think!!!xxx

Doubt it! Ha ha! I think it would make a very good feature, 4 best friends, all follow same plan and it works! I can see the pictures in my head now! Ha ha!

I've lost 16lb to get to target & I'm proud of what I've acheived. Yes some people would look at me & think I'm slim why diet. But I took action before I become too overweight & that is why I've done well. I've taken control before I've reached obese.

We all reach a stage were we realise enough is enough & take action.

Just because I had 16lb to lose doesn't mean it has been any easier for me or the weight 'just dropped off'. It took me just over 12 months to lose the weight and I'm now please with how I look. I feel much better in myself & I do think I've got a little more confidence back.

Before SW I was a size 14 & I'm now a size 8/10. But at a size 14 I felt uncomfortable & not pleased with myself, I felt the clothes I wore didn't flatter my figure.

We've all done well to lose what we have no matter how long or hard the journey is.

Personally I like to see people who've lost a simlar amount to me.

Doubt it! Ha ha! I think it would make a very good feature, 4 best friends, all follow same plan and it works! I can see the pictures in my head now! Ha ha!

Claire - don't jest ! - I can actually see this one as a winner! Why not email SW and offer yourselves to write a column. 'Tales from the knife (fork spoon) -edge'!! :D

I think it's what SW mag needs - real women actually writing whilst *doing* and showing the process, warts and all! :553:

Having a group of peeps, with different weights and histories would keep it fresh and interesting!

Fab idea! :) xx

Claire - don't jest ! - I can actually see this one as a winner! Why not email SW and offer yourselves to write a column. 'Tales from the knife (fork spoon) -edge'!! :D

I think it's what SW mag needs - real women actually writing whilst *doing* and showing the process, warts and all! :553:

Having a group of peeps, with different weights and histories would keep it fresh and interesting!

Fab idea! :) xx

Yeah, I like that idea Cupcake, shall we give it a go, Elle?

Back