What annoys you about your slimming world class

On the whole my group is alright, I have been attending SW group for a couple of months, the only thing is that everyone is very cliquey, it's based in a small village and it seems as though everyone knows each other except me and I am also younger than most of them. Therefore I find myself sitting twiddling my thumbs until IT starts instead of chatting and sharing tips. This makes me want to leave straight away after WI.

Sophx_2305 said:
On the whole my group is alright, I have been attending SW group for a couple of months, the only thing is that everyone is very cliquey, it's based in a small village and it seems as though everyone knows each other except me and I am also younger than most of them. Therefore I find myself sitting twiddling my thumbs until IT starts instead of chatting and sharing tips. This makes me want to leave straight away after WI.

Without meaning to sound daft-have you tried chatting to any of the other members rather than sitting on your own twiddling your thumbs!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've only recently started SW (3 weeks ago) and was really put off by the C in the very first week. She raced through the plan and then explained that if I could not attend the class (Thursday night) I would need to contact her on the Wednesday to explain why as she wasn't free to check messages on a Thursday and would therefore not be able to enter the absence into the system??? I mean what's that about, what happens if you're ill on the Thursday it's not as if you would know on the Wednesday??? I'm almost a little bit scared of her as she's so brusque :eek:

They won't know you unless you make yourself known. The fact that the other members are older than you shouldn't be relevant - in our group there are all ages from 20s to 80s and they all talk to one another.

Why not look around you and see if you can spot someone new and go and talk to them? They would probably be very grateful.

I used to feel exactly like this, in fact I think I posted it in this thread somewhere. I love my group now, they're brilliant!! I've been going to other groups and just weighing, not staying, for a few weeks because of work and I really miss it, can't wait to go back in a few more weeks and see how everyone's done.

It's difficult, but you have to just kind of force yourself to talk to people. 'How've you done this week?' is the most common conversation starter in my group by far!

oh hun, it takes two to tango, they should make you feel welcome . I've never had that in group, their all very friendly x

From the sounds of it people haven't got a problems with having a consultant who is still struggling with their weight. What they have got a problem with is C's who aren't following the plan! Why would you want a consultant who talks about how off plan they are, how drunk they got, etc. What we want is a role model but a real one that struggles but then picks themselves up and gets on with it.

Must say my group is great and so is c , the newbies get intro while we all get weighed in have a gossip and buy any sw products we want just left out for you to brows , great raffle prize every week , tell us loads of good food out there and often syns ready made products that are great we have had members sort out discount at local farm shop and fish shop if you show your sw card, also can say our c is there for us all she send group e mail out each week also group text and individual text when needed I've just had four weeks not at group for personal reason but my c has text every week to check in on me she has rung me and when I went back to class this week ( just got weighed and left as didn't want to stay this week) she text to say well done ( only gained 1 lb and been off plan near 5 weeks ) and said she was looking forward to seeing me next week so our c is great. Also group support is 5 ostar every one is there to help each other. You all need to enjoy group that's how you get success ( our group has best weigh loss in the area) and this is because we support each other good luck x

I do agree that the C is the key. I went to SW a year ago and the C was so bad I left before weighing and never went back.

Fast forward a year and I tried a different group and now it's my 3rd week. SO MUCH BETTER :)

Welshtigger said:
Without meaning to sound daft-have you tried chatting to any of the other members rather than sitting on your own twiddling your thumbs!!

Yes of course I've tried talking to people! People are polite enough and I speAk to a few people eAch week it's jus that everyone else seems to have been going so long and so know a lot bout each other and use the time to catch up

-Laura- said:
I used to feel exactly like this, in fact I think I posted it in this thread somewhere. I love my group now, they're brilliant!! I've been going to other groups and just weighing, not staying, for a few weeks because of work and I really miss it, can't wait to go back in a few more weeks and see how everyone's done.

It's difficult, but you have to just kind of force yourself to talk to people. 'How've you done this week?' is the most common conversation starter in my group by far!

Thanks, I am staying for more groups now and feeling more comfortable tAlking to people so I'm sure in no time I will be chatting away like everyone else

Yes of course I've tried talking to people! People are polite enough and I speAk to a few people eAch week it's jus that everyone else seems to have been going so long and so know a lot bout each other and use the time to catch up

I went to my new group today and despite my trying to start a conversation with a few people; I came up against exactly what you have in your group.

I don't stay to group anymore - I prefer to rush home an update my sig on here :D.

The main reasons are:
  • It lasts an hour and this is simply too long..mainly because of below points...
  • Lots of waiting whilst leader scrolls down gadget list and looks up to see who is and isn't there. This whole part is very irritating.
  • They do do SOTW and SOTM - I am interested in that and congratulating people (if they are there). I am also interested in who has done well and opening up the floor to anyone who has/hasn't had a good week for their views/support etc. I loathe the tedium of who has lost/gained every single pound though.
  • Fruit basket for the SOTW (goes to best slimmer there if they are not present). Everyone to bring a bit of fruit. I go straight to class from something else and then sometimes straight to work. I cannot be bothered to bring a bit of fruit as well and I definitely don't want to win it.
  • General raffle. You can skip this - again bring something free/low syn and then everyone takes something they didn't bring etc. I guess to get you to try new things but, again, not my cup of tea.
  • Lots of passing round packets.
  • Useful/inspiring stuff fills about 1 min.
I sound like a right grump! HA!
On a postive note there are some lovely people there and my leader is a lot of fun. I would like to stay but for a 30 min streamlined version. oh well.

I don't stay to group anymore - I prefer to rush home an update my sig on here :D.

The main reasons are:
  • It lasts an hour and this is simply too long..mainly because of below points...
  • Lots of waiting whilst leader scrolls down gadget list and looks up to see who is and isn't there. This whole part is very irritating.
  • They do do SOTW and SOTM - I am interested in that and congratulating people (if they are there). I am also interested in who has done well and opening up the floor to anyone who has/hasn't had a good week for their views/support etc. I loathe the tedium of who has lost/gained every single pound though.
  • Fruit basket for the SOTW (goes to best slimmer there if they are not present). Everyone to bring a bit of fruit. I go straight to class from something else and then sometimes straight to work. I cannot be bothered to bring a bit of fruit as well and I definitely don't want to win it.
  • General raffle. You can skip this - again bring something free/low syn and then everyone takes something they didn't bring etc. I guess to get you to try new things but, again, not my cup of tea.
  • Lots of passing round packets.
  • Useful/inspiring stuff fills about 1 min.
I sound like a right grump! HA!
On a postive note there are some lovely people there and my leader is a lot of fun. I would like to stay but for a 30 min streamlined version. oh well.

I can see where you are coming from. I went to a new group today and consultant spent most of image therapy going over the plan and there were some useful stuff that I was unaware of before; and it's made me want to re-read my book. But then there was no image therapy - we clapped everyone that had lost 1 pound, 2 pounds etc which felt a bit "happy clappy" and pointless. I'm told she usually does go round the room and do image therapy so I guess I'll have to wait until next week to see what happens. But the big plus as far as I'm concerned is as it is a relatively small group image therapy only lasts 30 minutes; which will for me encourage me to stay more often.

aliscrapper said:
I went to my new group today and despite my trying to start a conversation with a few people; I came up against exactly what you have in your group.

Yeah I think if people have gone for a while they kind of stick together instead of getting to know the newbies. I must say t'ho that if you go regularly and try to make an effort slowly they will get used to you!

See when I go to group I try to talk to the people I don't see often, (hoping they're new and not because I'm an idiot and forget them) also and this was KEY for me, get your consultant to start a group on Facebook for your group, we have one and because we all share on there during the week it's friendlier at group!

I have to be honest and say that nothing annoys me about my class.

The consultant does the new member talk while the group gets paid & weighed. Image therapy is the "normal" go round the room clapping thing - which I love. I love the interaction between group members, what works, what doesn't etc.

We have a "what's new" at the start which is only a couple of minutes but is whatever is going on in the SW world, promotions, competitions etc and then we tend to say what we've cooked new this week.

I love meeting people, I love having a chat and I love Image therapy.

Sorry, but there's just nothing which annoys me!!

Back