what do you do when SW doesn't work?

SW does work, as evidenced by a lot of people on this thread. The beauty of slimming world is the flexibility in what you can eat.

However, there is one basic thing about all the people who it has worked for - they have wanted to lose weight, and put some effort in. If your wife doens't really want to lose weight then she'll be over eating pasta etc cos she thinks its OK, and it is ok up to a point. I want to lose weight so I think twice about a second plateful, and don't have it, cos actually I'm full but I like eating. SW takes a bit of effort and will power as well.

Btw I don't go to class, and I've lost weight as quickly as those that do go to class, so it is possible.

I have had lots of trouble losing weight this summer, because I wasn't sticking to the plan. I had a rethink a couple of weeks ago and lost 3lbs last week and according to my home scales another 3 this week, I go to class later today to weigh properly. I keep to the red plan. I don't eat potatoes or pasta.
Hope this helps.

I've resisted answering this thread because I'm consernes that the OP's wife might now be accused by him of not following the plan and posts to that effect might be used to badger her.

I hope that won't be the case, but without the politeness of a reply to all your kind posts, I fear that I may be right.

Well, I am quite overwhelmed by the amount and detail of the responses to my query (or was it a rant, sorry). Thank you all, I have learnt a great deal about SW in the last couple of days and am now much more informed and more able to support her.
It seems that we both have some faulty ideas about this diet and it seems there are many more variations than alternating red and green days which is how she (we) has always approached it.

To answer some of the questions.
She joined SW in Sept. 2004 and was 13st 0lb and she is still 13st 0lb now. There is only 1 weight recorded in the back of the book so she didn't go to meetings. Also the books are rather out of date now.
At 5'9'' her supposed (from BMI charts) target weight is 10st 7lb. When we met she was 9st 9lb and maintained that for years apart from when she was pregnant of course. We agree that 9st 9lb is way too light now, however.
Why am I posting these questions? Basically I told her that SW wasn't working for her and that she should try some other approach. She (rather illogically to my mind) says it does work and wants to stick to it. So in order to be a supportive husband I need to learn how to make it work for her. Since I work from home I do quite a bit of cooking evening meals so need to get it right.
At the start of October she bought a WiiFit, she already does pilates classes and a 2 mile walk weekly. The WiiFit was totally her decision, I have always said they were a waste of time but have had to eat my words since it's loads of fun and does a marvellous job of weighing you and tracking progress. I have lost 4 pounds since getting it and she has gained a pound much to her disgust.
Alternating carbohydrate and veggie days doesn't seem to be cutting it. I think the suggestion of more red days is a good one. We need to mix it up a bit, use the WiiFit to monitor progress and see what suits us.

Sample menus?
Breakfast she either has porridge, half a melon with low fat Greek yohurt or scrambled eggs on toast.
Lunch. Salad from school kitchen.
Evening meal. Chicken breast (no skin) cooked with vegetables (peppers, carrots, leaks, broad beans etc) and tinned chopped tomatoes to make a sauce and wet it a bit. On green days swap the chicken for quorn and add potatoes.
She also takes 2 pieces of fruit to eat during the day at work.

Im personally not even convinced its a genuine post! All seems a little weird to me.
Especially as he has dissapeared as quickly as he appeared!

Thank you all for you detailed replies. I am impressed and surprised by the number of detailed responses.
As I work from home I do my share of cooking evening meals so I am to blame as well for not understanding how SW should be applied. What has been happening is alternating red and green days, meat and veg one day and carbs and veg the next day. I think we eat healthily all the time but G is not losing weight.
What brought it to a head recently is she bought a WiiFit with balance board at the start of October. She already does pilates weekly and a fair bit of walking and I have always rubbished WiiFit but, eat my words, its great fun and does a brilliant job of weighing and tracking progress. Much to her disgust I have lost 4 pounds and she has gained 1 pound since buying it.
She went to SW in Sept 2004 bought the books but there is only 1 weight recorded in the book and I don't remember her going very often. So, yes the books are old. Her weight then was 13st 0lb the same as it is now so no net gain in 6 years but no net loss either.
When we met she was 9st 9lb and maintained that for years apart from when pregnant. At 5' 9'' that was very slim and a target weight of 10st 7lb is what she wants to aim for now.
I did say to try something apart from SW but she wants to stick with it so as a supportive husband and part time family cook I need to learn more about it. When we rigidly alternate green days and red days it doesn't work so well but trying more red days and reducing carbs may be the way forwards.

I suggest she goes back to group. An awful lot has changed in 6 years, including free foods, syn values and the new Extra Easy plan.

If that really is the case, has she been to the drs to see if she has a thyroid problem? If your description of what shes eating is correct, and she is telling you the truth I cant see that is where the problem is. Do you use fat when you cook? or sugar in the porridge?

apbran, maybe you could try increasing your intake of Superfree food. I know it isn't required on the Green and Red plans, but having 1/3 of your plate as fruit or veggies every meal automatically reduces your calorie intake and keeps you fuller for longer.

Try putting your Superfree food on your plate FIRST. That way you know it's definitely 1/3 of your plate and you're not tempted to fill too much with meat and potatoes and think "That'll do" when it come to putting veggies on.

Sample menus?
Breakfast she either has porridge, half a melon with low fat Greek yohurt or scrambled eggs on toast.
Lunch. Salad from school kitchen.
Evening meal. Chicken breast (no skin) cooked with vegetables (peppers, carrots, leaks, broad beans etc) and tinned chopped tomatoes to make a sauce and wet it a bit. On green days swap the chicken for quorn and add potatoes.
She also takes 2 pieces of fruit to eat during the day at work.

Porridge - is this 28g? This is a B choice
Melon and greek yoghurt - this has to be fat free not low fat
Scrambled egg on toast - what bread? 2 small slices or 1 large slice of whole meal bread is a B choice

Lunch - what salad is she having?

dinner - okay, but you need another B choice each day so potatoes with your meat on a red day or chicken with your potatoes on a green day.

Where are the syns and the A choices?

This isn't really following the plans correctly I'm afraid!

I thought the first reply I did hadn't got posted so wrote it again and now both are there. Ah well.
Yes there is golden syrup on the porridge, a minimal amount of fat/oil in the cooking.

Golden syrup will need to be synned as will the fat/oil. One tablespoon of olive oil is 6 syns.
Would she not consider going back to a group?

I thought the first reply I did hadn't got posted so wrote it again and now both are there. Ah well.
Yes there is golden syrup on the porridge, a minimal amount of fat/oil in the cooking.

Oil is 2 syns per teaspoon, 6 syns per tablespoon

1 tablespoon of golden syrup is 2.5 syns.

I am still unclear as to whether your wife knows we are talking about her. I am not going to make any further contribution until I know that.

I'm with Jaylou, I think she would really benefit from going to a group, especially since the new EE plan has been introduced, she might find it much easier to follow.

We'll weigh the porridge to check portion size.
Salad at lunch is prepared by their school kitchen. It consists of ham, cottage cheese, lettuce tomato etc..
I need to learn about A choices and B choices. Perhaps this 2004 book doesn't cover them, I can see free foods, healthy choices and syns.

The cottage cheese needs to be fat free.

I am not in the least bit suprised that SW is not working.

If she isn't going to go back to group to get new info then I don't think we can help much more!

Yes, she knows I've got the books out and am asking on a forum for advice. We discussed it yesterday evening and she was pleased I am learning about SW.

I haven't shown her the forum responses but we are considering joining bodyoptimise.com. Does anyone have any experience of this?

If you're both wanting to follow the plan then it will probably be cheaper for you to join a group. I personally think that the BodyOptimise site is quite expensive, and it's always nice to get that social aspect.

Back