what do you miss?

gina_b

Les Mills Fitness Freak
if you used to be a meat eater then changed to a vegetarien/vegan whats the thing/s you miss?

mine used to be jelly, but ive since found a vegetarien alternative to it, just as delicious!

Marsmallows. Ohhhh, everytime I see a bag I pick it up and smell it, you can smell them through the bag, big squishy pink and White marshmallows, yum!

And jelly, but Gina went on a veggie jelly hunt and found some !;)

Marsmallows. Ohhhh, everytime I see a bag I pick it up and smell it, you can smell them through the bag, big squishy pink and White marshmallows, yum!

And jelly, but Gina went on a veggie jelly hunt and found some !;)

Karen, have a look here. More expensive than the ones with bits of pig or cow in them but very nice,

Vegan Store: Tuck shop sweets

and sometimes they are on ebay as well.

Jelly babies. Waitrose used to do a vegan version decades ago and I used to make a special journey - they're weren't so many Waitroses about then - and stock up. I only remebered them after looking at the veganstore for Karen so its not that bad a loss :)

Micci
Thank you!!!! Never knew about this. I'm going to get marshmallows, I can not wait!:)

mmm that website has so many yummy sweets! i want to buy it all :p

Brisket.. texas Brisket was the most amazing thing.

I have been veggie for 12 years and just a few days ago went vegan - something I've been wanting to do for a good few years.

Already miss quorn as it's been at least 40% of my diet for the last 5 years :( they should made quorn vegan.

mmm yes, i love quorn products, thats my main intake.

there is some vegan sausages, they are by linda McCartney. ive tried them, while they are nice they taste a bit meaty to me.... suspicously meaty lol. but very nice all the same.
x

I don't miss much as you can usually find a good quorn substitute but I do miss Steak and kidney pudding in chippy gravy.

I miss tuna mix (tuna, onion, mayo, sweetcorn, sundried tomatoes). I used to have tuna mix on jacket potatoes - but that's all. It's a lot easier being a veggie now than when I started - thank goodness

As I am a vegan, I really miss most sweet things as can't eat very much processed sweet treats now. I miss maltesers, milk chocolate, naan bread, halloumi cheese, feta cheese - but wouldn't actually be able to stomach it anymore anyway.

A recipe for a fake feta made from tofu. Its so long since I had real feta that I like this, I doubt its very like the real thing.

Credit due to Bryanna Clark Grogan, a great cookbook writer. This was on her blog once but I can't find it now.

Bryanna's Quick Tofu Feta

6 oz firm tofu, crumbled
1 tsp agar powder (or 2 tbsp flakes)
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp neutral-tasting cooking oil
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp light miso
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Blend tofu, agar, water, sugar, oil, and salt in food processor till smooth.
Place mixture in heavy-bottomed small saucepan and stir over medium heat till it bubbles for a few minutes and thickens.

Whisk miso and lemon juice into cooked mixture.
Pour into a flat container, cover, and chill till firm.
Cut into squares.
To store: make a fairly salty brine of salt and water (about 1 tbsp salt per cup of water) boiled together for 5 minutes, cool it, and pour it into a covered container in the refrigerator in this brine.

ps, not all naan has dairy in it - check ingredients, I can't remember which brands were OK but I think one of the Tesco own brands was OK. I think the Sainsburys Free from little chocolate bars are pretty close to milk chocolate and not to calorific/syn filled to get back on track for a weight loss forum :)

Thanks so much Micci, that's so lovely of you to post that recipe. It looks lovely. Tofu gets boring sometimes so it's great to have a way to change it a bit. I'm going to give that a try with my next weekly shop. I think my husband would appreciate it too. He's not a vegan but I do all the cooking so he misses out on foods he used to like too. Many thanks for the tips about naans. I do remember a pack of small naans from Tesco that used to be lovely and were vegan but my local Tesco has stopped stocking them. I'll have to try the larger store. Next time I'm in Sainsburys I'll look out for that chocolate too. It's good to have a treat once in a while. Many thanks.

Attachments

• Sainsburys_Freefrom_Soya_Chocolate_50g.jpg
    Sainsburys_Freefrom_Soya_Chocolate_50g.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 58
I know this tread is quite old but for those of you missing quorn- you can get soya chunks. They're not the same as quorn but they're good when you want something to chew.
I use those to make, 'steak' puddings - I use veggie suet for the pastry and Bisto gravy for the sauce (it's veggie), throw in a few carrots and/or peas and you've got a lovely old fashioned but veggie (probably vegan) 'steak' pudding.

I miss bacon. Fragrant, sizzling, hot bacon. Some vegetarians are revolted by the smell of meat - not this one! If I smell bacon, I always want just a little bit. I never have if, of course, but I really enjoy smelling it and remembering what is _would_ taste like if it were in my mouth. Yum!

Hello,
For me being totally vegetarian is impossible...
I am die hard meat eater...
So can't possible in this birth..

Back