What do you take to work for lunch?

miss_emmajane

Silver Member
I have just started a new job (well, my first 'real' job after uni) and am struggling to food optimise properly. I have porridge, bit of honey and banana for breakfast which is filling and yummy so that used a heb and hea with a couple of syns. After that I don't know what to take to work which will fill me up for break and lunch plus I would like to leave my other healthy extras for the evening as I as always STARVING when I get in and thats when the damage is easily happening :(

Any advice or lunch tips? xxx

I sometimes bake a jacket spud night before and warm it up in microwave or have it cold with tuna and little salad. Or a chicken salad with a pasta mug shot, yogurt and an apple :) I tend not to eat bread as it bloats me too much, or make double of what your having for tea ie pasta bake take some to work and heat it up :) xx

I've been taking home-made syn free soup for lunch with plain crackerbreads, and I snack on fresh fruit (chopped up in a lunchbox or I wouldn't eat it!) and have an Alpen Light bar (3 syns)

Or Batchelors rice, with 1/2 tin of mushrooms and 1/2 tin of chickpeas in. I like the beef one best.
I cook it the night before, put it in a lunchbox, and add soy sauce in the morning. I microwave it at work

Or Batchelors rice, with 1/2 tin of mushrooms and 1/2 tin of chickpeas in. I like the beef one best.
I cook it the night before, put it in a lunchbox, and add soy sauce in the morning. I microwave it at work

That sounds yum!! Is it the flavored rice? x

I sometimes bake a jacket spud night before and warm it up in microwave or have it cold with tuna and little salad. Or a chicken salad with a pasta mug shot, yogurt and an apple :) I tend not to eat bread as it bloats me too much, or make double of what your having for tea ie pasta bake take some to work and heat it up :) xx

Ouuu I hadn't thought of baked potatos to re-heat, thanks!!

And thanks to everyone else, got lots more ideas now !! :)

I have the luxury of going home for lunch, so can always cook something. But on days when i do have to take a packed lunch here are my ideas
If you have access to microwave - jacket potato with a variety of toppings, home made soup, leftovers, eggs - poached, scrambled, omlete can all be done in microwave i think,
Canned free stuff to heat in microwave eg chickpea dhal from asda.
Pasta dishes, stews, to re heat
Add water things eg mugshots, supernoodles to go

I do some plain cous cous with a chiken oxo. Add chopped salad and either tinned red salmon or tuna. Do it the night before and have it cold for lunch

Or you could make a sw quiche

i either have jacket potato, low fat super nooodles and tuna - sounds strange but honest it works, or couscous and tuna and salad, leftovers from night before, tuna pasta is a good one

Today I had LF super noodles, and then for my superfree, just dumped a whole tin of plum tomatoes on it, was really yummy and filling.
Or a MASSIVE salad - the more you add (I use, tomato, cucumber, pepper, radish, grapes, orange, melon, olives (synned), a mix of different leaves, new pots/rice/pasta, eggs/ham/cottage cheese/fish/chicken) the more it fills you up, plus if you chop it all really small, it takes aaages to eat so you're full halfway through!! with some fruit and a yogurt its great, plus gets you well on your way to your 1/3 superfree. I know it sounds crazy, and before SW I would've never believed a salad would fill me up!!

:)

Leftovers. I make an extra portion of most things (cottage pie, mac and cheese, spaghetti & meatballs) and reheat that in the microwave.

Tuna pasta salad - lots of chopped veggies*, a couple of tins of tuna, a huge amount of pasta all mixed together with a tub of low fat houmous. It works out at about 20 syns for the pot, but as this does six HUGE (or 8 normal ;)) portions, then it's not too bad.

Or just a big chopped salad* and some chicken, or ham, or (as tomorrow) smoked salmon.

*usual ingredients: celery, cucumber, radish, peppers, onion (spring and red), mushrooms (sometimes lightly fried, sometimes raw), carrot, green beans (blanched slightly), there's something else I've forgotten and I can't be bothered to go and check my lunchbox!

Tomorrow, I've got salad, smoked salmon and a couple of left over new potatoes from today's dinner.

So glad I had a look at this thread - just debating what on earth I'm going to bring into work - I do 12hr shifts so its going to be a lot of food :D

I take a lot of food in to work! I usually make a really big SYN-free salad (spinach, cucumber, peppers, grapes, carrots, apple), some cous-cous or rice (max 1 SYN), and then something to top it off, tuna or 1/2 tin of ratatouille. Then I have a muller light with an apple. I have honestly found that I now have a genuine preference for salad with a bit of protein - weird, huh? But for me, it's all about taking time to put together a nice, fairly cheap lunch - it is a total pain to make it in the morning, but it's really helped my weight loss.

Other things - soup would be good to try, or baked potato with beans. Pasta and veg perhaps? Good luck!

Homemade soups are a fav of mine.
Salads are nice but i agree they dont really fill me up.
Savoury rice is nice cold or hot.
Mugshots are great to snack on at your desk.
Tinned Salmon or Tuna, mixed with vinegar, salt and pepper with crispbreads.
Bulgar wheat made with stock, vegetables added, peppers, onions mushrooms - nice cold or hot.
Beans or spaghetti hoops on toast.

Just a few ideas for you.

Back