What is a Wiki?

Do i know what a wiki is?

• Yes, i do!!

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Wiki, whats that?!

Votes: 24 77.4%

• Total voters
A Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create and edit Web page content using any Web browser.Wiki supports hyperlinks and has a simple text syntax for creating new pages and crosslinks between internal pages on the fly.

Wiki is unusual among group communication mechanisms in that it allows the organization of contributions to be edited in addition to the content itself.
Like many simple concepts, "open editing" has some profound and subtle effects on Wiki usage. Allowing everyday users to create and edit any page in a Web site is exciting in that it encourages democratic use of the Web and promotes content composition by nontechnical users.
Historical Note. The first ever wiki site was created for the Portland Pattern Repository in 1995. That site now hosts tens of thousands of pages.

Ok have to admit did not know what it was so i did a google search i cheated !!

It's what the online dictionary 'wikipedia' is made up of...
Everyone can edit it & build on it as far as I know or do you need special clearances...
I know I helped build a Lost Wiki for a fan site, well I wrote show summaries & character biographies..
Are you planning on doing one Pierce?

nope.. no cheating... and I don't know. :p

Good guess Slim At Heart :)

Wiki Support
http://www.minimins.com/minimins-knowledge-base-support/

MiniMins Wiki
Main Page - MiniMins Knowledge Base

We decided to call it the MiniMins knowledge base.

The idea basically is to start a database of information, about diets, surgery, foods , tv programs or whatever.

But mostly as a central information section so that people can find out information, and then use that information by collecting it into the wiki.

Its open to everybody, yes you have to register and verify your email before you can post/edit there, and yes all pages are game :)

Pierce

I use Wiki at least a couple of times a day for something or rather.

I find it accurate enough, though there are flaws. I remember reading some time ago that 162 errors had been found. Even so, 123 errors had been discovered in the Encyclopedia Britannica had 123. Something like that anyway.

Errors usually get corrected quickly, so that's good enough for me :)

Yes if its the wikipedia then its great.

Generally has what i am looking for.

Ivy

'cept it says that Morten Harket has a 5 octave voice, which it is in fact a ball crushing 8 octaves.

Ivy

I use Wiki at least a couple of times a day for something or rather.

I find it accurate enough, though there are flaws. I remember reading some time ago that 162 errors had been found. Even so, 123 errors had been discovered in the Encyclopedia Britannica had 123. Something like that anyway.

Errors usually get corrected quickly, so that's good enough for me :)

Wiki is refering to the sofware/idea/ethos while wikipedia is what your refering to :)

Your also right, according to various studdies the Wikipedia is as accurate to Encylopedia Britanica.

So what does everybody think of the idea of MiniMins Wiki/Knowlage Base?

Pierce

Back