What keeps longer?

ColJack

Gold Member
Bought some "fresh" chicken from the supermarket for my dinners.
It's 6 to a pack which will last me 6 days
What would keep longer in the fridge?
Once opened, bag up each breast in an individual zioloc or cook them all first and do the same?
The bonus with the second way is that I have cooked chicken available to pick at if I'm peckish.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Cooked chicken won't be good after 6 days, 3 days maybe. I'm not sure about raw it depends on the sell-by date.

As said above can you cook half and then freeze the rest? Defrost what you need overnight in the fridge (nowhere near the cooked chicken obviously!)

x

Once you have opened the package, they will start to deteriorate. They only keep so long while the packaging is intact. Somewhere in the small print it should say something along the lines of "once opened consume within xxx days".

If you open up the raw chicken, you'll need to cook all the breasts within 1-2 days. It won't last longer just because you put it in ziplock bags. But if you cook it all, it won't last longer than 2-3 days in the fridge. The best option, imo, is to freeze the breasts and defrost as needed.

Thanks, I cooked 3 of them and ate one fir dinner, the other 2 will be my tea in a bit with some steamed veg.
The last 3 will be cooked tomorrow for 2 for tea and one for Tuesday's lunch ( they aren't as big as I thought they were.

I have frozen chicken but prefer fresh.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Back