What made you start slimming world?

Dear Gamy,

Big hug and all the very best of luck for your journey and making all your dreams come true.

Cee Cee xxxx (have been there long time ago but never forget and now I have a 20 year old son that I never would have had if I had not had 2 miscarriages, I wish I could say something to make you feel better or comforted but unfortunately nothing I can say will help, but I understand how the loss of a baby )

here for you xxxx

Mine was my friends little boy telling me I'm fat and asking why I was much bigger than everyone else. At first I tried to kid myself he was just being rude or as his mum is very petite I looked bigger as I'm talk but seeing a picture of me at the beach with him I actually look like a beached whale and can't believe I've kidded myself for sooooooo long. I'm trying to loose 7 stone so if anyone wants to buddy up let me know as I need all the help I can get xx

When I originally started SW back in 2010, it was because too many people had asked me 'When's the baby due?', or 'Do you know whether it's a girl or a boy?' I knew I wasn't as slim I used to be, but that was crossing the line for me. I'd mananged to lose just under a stone myself by cutting out the crisps etc. but only joined SW when my friend said she had joined. I've been going since then, but my most recent wake up call was the fact I couldn't fit into what I classed as my 'big' clothes and had to buy new work pants and tops.
I've got my head back into with the new plan, and have every intention of getting back into those gorgeous clothes that are gathering dust at the minute!

Last edited:
I was happy with how I looked but slightly overweight, however, I was with my mum who was, and still is, overweight, she was telling me about all the health problems she had and all the hospital appts she had and I thought I just don't want to be like her when I'm older, my sister had joined SW so I gave it a go & I've never looked back, it took me 12mths to get to target (a long while really) but I've never stopped going to class.

For me now SW is a way of life I'll just continue with.

I had my third child at forty one and not only gained one beautiful daughter but also 3 stone stone of weight! I was a very, very greedy girl throughout my pregnancy and carried on being a very, very greedy girl up until her 1st birthday when I hosted a very big party wearing a very big dress! I'd had enough and having seen my best friend lose five stone with SW, I joined myself. I'm still a greedy girl, just a happier, slimmer one.

I'm going to be a bridesmaid twice in May, and going away for a few days. I don't want to be a chubby bridesmaid!

Decided on SW because my sister had done it successfully in the past, and a colleague at work had joined and was looking much slimmer! Plus being veggie, green days are great for me!

I joined in June 2012 after realising i couldnt fit in my old summer clothes that i has classed as big. Lost 2st 1lb in 8 months to hit target in March 13, have maintained since then except for 2 holiday blips and this xmas (currently 3lb over target) but have always got back into it in a matter of weeks.
So glad i did join, as now regularly exercise and i love it, sw recipes are a way of life as i cook everything from scratch and even BF enjoys them, and last year i was bridesmaid 3 times for my best friends and being happy with myself in those pics meant everything! Am now on social team at my group to keep myself going and help others hit their target!:)

Gamy: so sorry for your loss, I too have been there and lost very late. Nothing anyone says helps much, bur well done for keeping your promise, and wishing luck your way for your weight loss and your ttc :)

sv1711: I have just under 6 stone to lose to get to my goal, so it's going to be a long journey, happy to buddy up if you like :)

sounds like we all have really good reasons to lose, hopefully through this board we can help keep each other motivated. Good luck everyone :)

My daughter turned 6 on Boxing Day. Just before Xmas she asked me if there was a baby in my tummy because it was fat like when her brother was in my tummy. Conincedentally SW begins!

I joined after my 2nd stroke & the doctor telling me I had 6 months to live if I didn't do something about it!
Shock tactics do work!

I joined after my 2nd stroke & the doctor telling me I had 6 months to live if I didn't do something about it!
Shock tactics do work!

And you have done fantastically! Look at all your awards!!!

I liked the idea of group weigh ins, slimmer of the week awards and just the support from a group of people if I am honest.
The diet itself is nothing like I am used to!

I started slimming world (again) as I felt that lost myself and this time im doing it for ME not any1 else, I was always slimming for every1 else, my mum, dad, partner, son, now im doing it for me and I WILL succeed this time xx

I joined for the support that came with it, i just want to be able to run round with my children and one day i will :)

I'd talked about joining for about a year. After eating and drinking far too much over Christmas I felt absolutely vile. And my OH had just been told by his doctor that he was verging on having an obese BMI, so I knew he'd come with me. It just seemed like the right time after talking about it for so long. And now I wish I'd done it sooner!

Seeing photos and video of me at a friend's leaving do and realising I was the biggest person in the room. I look at myself every day in the mirror when I get dressed for work but convince myself that I don't look too bad. It isn't until I saw photographic evidence that I thought, enough is enough.

I had to use a dreaded seatbelt extension when I went on holiday recent :-(

I'm starting on Tuesday. I started Cambridge a couple of weeks ago but was worried about the health implications (especially hair loss) so stopped. After a very difficult year, I realised that my life is just passing me by and I don't want to be a spectator or waste the best years of my life being unhappy with how I look and afraid to make friends, date, or go for the jobs I want.

Back