What Made You Want To Lose Weight?

Initiative said:
The main reason that I gained weight in the first place was because I started having health problems. Almost a year after that I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, a chronic pain disease. Since then I have lost even more weight than when I started and even though I still always don't feel that well, being thinner makes it that much easier when I do have flare ups. Being large and sick is the worst possible feeling I have ever dealt with and to somewhat feel normal is a blessing.

There needs to be more people like you cos it just irritates the hell out of me when people who are fat come up with so many excuses as to why they can't exercise or try some way of losing weight. I'm talking about the ones who complain of back pain and knee pain. It's all excuses. There are other ways of exercising and losing weight starts with what you put inside your body.

So well done you for helping yourself to lose weight and improve a life as best you can for yourself, with the terrible disease that you have. I wish you all the best!

Ohhh Amanda, that's terrible. Wicked even. Like how could he miss you anyway if he thought you were big. Like what's he trying to say?
I used to have size 10-12 friends and when we went clubbing? I felt like an outcast, til I lost the weight and I started getting all the attention. They stopped hanging out with me after that. It's like a subconscious thing befriending someone whose opposite to you so you can make them look good or stand out more. That's just my feel and some friends can object to the idea that their only friends with you because you look a certain way, but once you start changing? They're either happy for you or loathe you and accuse you of "acting" different because you're no longer the third wheel.
I hope you do reach your goal so you can know how great it feels to reject someone like that shallow, rude superficial guy.

Thanks, Ive never had anyone be that blantantly rude to me before. Most of the girls I went out with that night aren't even friends, they are friends of my best friend and though they are nice enough but I felt left out as they are all totally gorgeous and alway have the men swarming round them, im mean im obviously not on the pull as Im engaged but still its not nice to be ignored or have people be rude to you. When I was a size 16 before I had my daughter it never bothered me and I would be dancing and having a laugh like all the the skinny minnies but now I find myself being quiet and trying not to draw attention to myself and I dont like that I have become like that, its not me. I'm always worried that people will be like 'what does that fatty think shes doing' or something. I want to be fun Amanda again and now worried about everything all the time. Phew that turned into an offload lol x

My main reasons for wanting to shift all this weight is my health, but also because I am trying to conceive my first baby and have been for over a year :( I had a miscarriage in January and am scared that my weight may have cause it ;(

I want to lose weight because I feel awful carrying all this extra weight around, I feel ulgy, big and unattractive.Every summer is a nightmare to walk around, I have no energy,I have lots of clothes that do not fit me anymore. I also find it hard to shop for my size now. I dislike seeing myself in reflections let alone in mirrors. I don't feel sexy as regards my husband and myself although he says I am. I became this size after I gave up smoking for whatever reason. Me losing 5 stone will make me very happy

I have booked a holiday to Egypt next July and am determined to be comfortable on the airplane. The chair and belt felt pretty tight when I last flew and was 4 stone lighter. And so the journey begins...

I just get fed up of being tired and sweaty and out of breath. Also, I don't want to get Alzheimer's, diabetes, heart disease and all the other things.

Health reasons mainly. I have pains in my back and knees and get gall stones. Weight loss will help to improve these things. Also I am currently a size 22 in clothing so at the stage where most high street shops do not have my size so I have to go to plus size shops like Evans which is embarrassing to say the least. As of Thursday I joined Slimming World. The weekly weigh ins and awards for weight loss will certainly help keep me on track, also the diet will teach me how to eat properly. Normally when dieting I restrict calories quite a lot for about a month, get bored and go back to my old ways.

One of the main reasons for me to start dieting was the fear of losing my husband. he fell in love with me when i was much slimmer and he is in excellent shape. :sigh: So i have to keep up with him. One more reason is cellulite... Health issues, of course... and being tired of having to choose the clothes that " make me look thinner:mad:"

I'm a mean resentful person while I'm this weight. I am jealous of everyone and feel very sorry for myself. Dont want to feel like a victim anymore. I need to take control of my life!!!!!

Thanks, Ive never had anyone be that blantantly rude to me before. Most of the girls I went out with that night aren't even friends, they are friends of my best friend and though they are nice enough but I felt left out as they are all totally gorgeous and alway have the men swarming round them, im mean im obviously not on the pull as Im engaged but still its not nice to be ignored or have people be rude to you. When I was a size 16 before I had my daughter it never bothered me and I would be dancing and having a laugh like all the the skinny minnies but now I find myself being quiet and trying not to draw attention to myself and I dont like that I have become like that, its not me. I'm always worried that people will be like 'what does that fatty think shes doing' or something. I want to be fun Amanda again and now worried about everything all the time. Phew that turned into an offload lol x

Sorry I haven't got back to you Amanda. I hope everything with you is going well and that you're slowly starting to find some confidence in yourself because it is there. Whether you're overweight or not the most important thing to remember is be yourself. And if that means getting up and dancing like the rest of em? then you go ahead and do your thing honey. Be happy. Get out there and show people who you are and if they don't like it, well...they can just suck on a lemon!

I'm a mean resentful person while I'm this weight. I am jealous of everyone and feel very sorry for myself. Dont want to feel like a victim anymore. I need to take control of my life!!!!!

I can relate. It's like when you hear people (especially men) go on and on about how gooooorgeous some celebrity or model is and you're just there left to feel like absolute ****. It's like, why didn't I come out looking that good? How did I end up this way? At least that's what I feel sometimes.
But once you begin your journey to lose that weight and get into shape? Those kind of comments doesn't bother you as much because you'll feel so great about the way you're body's finally transforming into the person you felt you ought to be. Slender and sexier. No more trying to fit into tight clothes or avoiding shops with size 8 racks cos you'll be sliding into them like nobody's business ;)

One of the main reasons for me to start dieting was the fear of losing my husband. he fell in love with me when i was much slimmer and he is in excellent shape. :sigh: So i have to keep up with him. One more reason is cellulite... Health issues, of course... and being tired of having to choose the clothes that " make me look thinner:mad:"

I think putting on weight in a relationship is the one thing that concerns most women. Oh sure, it's easy if your partner is the type to not care about the stages our bodies go through. But for those who are blatantly turned off as soon as you start forming a muffin top, it's difficult because I've known people to break up over their partner's weight gain. But doesn't it suck for them when you finally lose it all and you're with someone else who truly appreciates you for who and what you are?
I could never be with a man who was so focused on my weight. No way. Not even a "feeder". Not even if he said I should gain some weight.
At the end of the day, losing weight is about you. It's for you. Not anybody else. It might be for your kids or other family member. But ultimately it's going to have many benefits for you. So best of luck. And I hope you're still working doing something about it.

I want to lose weight for health reasons, I suffer from backache and sore knees on a daily basis and have decided enough is enough.

I want to be slim for my self esteem and self confidence. I want to look in the mirror and see the real me, not an overweight version.

I am the biggest I have ever been (13st9lbs) and I am shocked how much I sweat! Also get red in the face. This didnt used to happen.

I want a peaceful mind from criticising myself. I also want the health benefits of being the right weight for my height.

I am lucky I don't have any health issues nor did I have them at my heaviest (18 stone 3lb) but I want to lose weight so I can be and feel more healthy. I am newly married and while we are not in a position to have children yet, I want to be able to conceive easily and to have a healthy baby. I want to be able to walk into a normal high street shop, buy something in my size without trying it on, bring it home and it to fit perfectly. I also want to stop being jealous of other people's slim figures.

My mum had a stroke....was stood by her bed in hospital and the DRs were saying how smoking , drinking and being over weight were all contributary factors.....she had pretty much done it to herself ....I was doing all the same stuff ...I just thought jeesh I dont want my kids to be stood over me feeling the same as I was feeling right then

BrodiesMum said:
I want to lose weight for health reasons, I suffer from backache and sore knees on a daily basis and have decided enough is enough.

The same thing started to happen to me. There's like a small hill where I live, more like a slope. But every time I walked up? my knees and especially my back would just ache something bad. It was only a 3 minute walk, but by the end of it I was panting and aching all over my calves. It was just madness. How did I manage to allow myself to become so unfit? It had to stop. And today? I'm walking and climbing up hills and slopes like it's nothing. I haven't reached my goal weight yet, but I'm a lot better off now that I was before and it's all down to increasing fitness and losing that stone.

fizzbomb said:
I want to be slim for my self esteem and self confidence. I want to look in the mirror and see the real me, not an overweight version.

I am the biggest I have ever been (13st9lbs) and I am shocked how much I sweat! Also get red in the face. This didnt used to happen.

I want a peaceful mind from criticising myself. I also want the health benefits of being the right weight for my height.

And someday you will get back into shape. Just don't give up. Believe that each day you are making those healthy choices are bringing you ever closer to your dream. No matter how long it takes, don't give up on weight loss. As long as the weight is going down you will regain your self esteem and your health. So please keep at it and don't let bad habits hold you back anymore.

Best wishes!!!

~Jen~ said:
I am lucky I don't have any health issues nor did I have them at my heaviest (18 stone 3lb) but I want to lose weight so I can be and feel more healthy. I am newly married and while we are not in a position to have children yet, I want to be able to conceive easily and to have a healthy baby. I want to be able to walk into a normal high street shop, buy something in my size without trying it on, bring it home and it to fit perfectly. I also want to stop being jealous of other people's slim figures.

Another top 5 reason to lose weight. Babies. Having children is a risky business. So many things can go wrong when you're overweight. It's important for heavy ladies to lose the weight not just because it will increase fertility, but also to lower that risk. Diabetes, high blood pressure and any other underlying health issues. And to hopefully also ensure baby's health too.

Oh my goodness. Who doesn't get jealous of seeing pictures of hot slim models with the flat toned stomach and curves. Sometimes I wonder how these women even exist when most of us have some noticeable imperfections. And aren't they real women just like the rest of us except they work out every day and watch what they eat and drink. But I say, if they can do it? Then so can we and we'll get there eventually.

Back