What Made You Want To Lose Weight?

Miami Brown

Hello my fellow weight loss warriors!

Today I'd like to talk about the thing that finally made you start losing weight. So far I've read the "whys" you want to lose weight. But what motivated you to go for it and indeed, what makes you stick with it?

In my own personal experience I've chosen now to lose weight because I'd had enough of being sad, isolated and the disgusting sight of my body. But what has also made me stick with it, is this wedding I am attending in September 2011 and I so desperately want to look my best in those family photos, which I'm sure the rest of you can relate to :)

So what motivated you and what makes you stick with it?

Thank you xx

I an just disgusted with rolls of fat on my body and the fact that my face has no definition, I have flabby cheeks and several aging lol.

I have been with my fiance over 9 years and engaged over 3 but there is no way I would contemplate a wedding lookin like this. Also I'm 31 and would like to start a family but I would like to be slim and healthy before I get pregnant.

I have dieted unsuccessfully many times but feel determined this time. I think because I'm not putting pressure on myself I'm sticking to it, for example if I STS but don't know why, instead of throwing in the towel and giving up, I just think 'oh well, see what happens next week' and I just get on with it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using MiniMins

Galifreyan said:
I an just disgusted with rolls of fat on my body and the fact that my face has no definition, I have flabby cheeks and several aging lol.

I have been with my fiance over 9 years and engaged over 3 but there is no way I would contemplate a wedding lookin like this. Also I'm 31 and would like to start a family but I would like to be slim and healthy before I get pregnant.

I have dieted unsuccessfully many times but feel determined this time. I think because I'm not putting pressure on myself I'm sticking to it, for example if I STS but don't know why, instead of throwing in the towel and giving up, I just think 'oh well, see what happens next week' and I just get on with it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using MiniMins

Thank you for sharing Galifreyan. I'm sure many of us here can relate to most of what you feel and going through. Many obese women who have been married describe their disgust and disappointment when they look back on what should've been the happiest day of their lives. Sometimes that even pushes them to their limits so they do start to make a change. And for the baby part? You're right. Fat or thin, it's better for both the mother and baby to always be at their best, healthwise.
I wish you much success in all aspects of your life and I hope you do continue to keep that optimism with you so that one day you won't have the same feelings you do about your body as you do now.

I decided to really knuckle down and get to goal (after being on a diet most of my adult life!) after a break-up. I realised that I'll never be happy and content within a relationship until I'm happy with myself and feel deserving of the love.

This is my way of giving something back to me and spending time learning to love myself. Then hopefully I'll have the confidence to get out there and meet the man of my dreams!

LadyFi said:
I decided to really knuckle down and get to goal (after being on a diet most of my adult life!) after a break-up. I realised that I'll never be happy and content within a relationship until I'm happy with myself and feel deserving of the love.

This is my way of giving something back to me and spending time learning to love myself. Then hopefully I'll have the confidence to get out there and meet the man of my dreams!

Hi LadyFi,

How are you doing?
I think that your situation is a similar one of my experience where I think it was last year, or the year before that, when I was dating. And I just used to push these men away or they would run! because of my insecurity. I later realised through a friend that, I didn't love myself very much. I was very much a people pleaser and everything. But I didn't please myself. I never put myself first. I was always so concerned...even obessessed with they way others perceived me. And as you say, I wasn't happy at all. I'd look at myself in the mirror and ask myself that question, "Who is going to love you when you look like this?" Sometimes I do feel that way, but it wasn't as bad then.
So one day I just said to myself. Whatever. If a man doesn't like me for who I am or what I look like...now? Then he is clearly not the person for me.
Because what will happen is, I'll lose all this weight, I'll meet a guy whose into slim women, but what if I gain again? Not much, but say I have a baby and the weight piles back on. Is he still gonna love me then? Or leave me cos I gained.
So. It's tough. But true. You gotta learn to love and accept yourself whether fat or thin.

Hi LadyFi,

How are you doing?
I think that your situation is a similar one of my experience where I think it was last year, or the year before that, when I was dating. And I just used to push these men away or they would run! because of my insecurity. I later realised through a friend that, I didn't love myself very much. I was very much a people pleaser and everything. But I didn't please myself. I never put myself first. I was always so concerned...even obessessed with they way others perceived me. And as you say, I wasn't happy at all. I'd look at myself in the mirror and ask myself that question, "Who is going to love you when you look like this?" Sometimes I do feel that way, but it wasn't as bad then.
So one day I just said to myself. Whatever. If a man doesn't like me for who I am or what I look like...now? Then he is clearly not the person for me.
Because what will happen is, I'll lose all this weight, I'll meet a guy whose into slim women, but what if I gain again? Not much, but say I have a baby and the weight piles back on. Is he still gonna love me then? Or leave me cos I gained.
So. It's tough. But true. You gotta learn to love and accept yourself whether fat or thin.

You raise a good point. There is the risk of gain and then the person who fell in love with you slim will change their minds. You just have to hope you've picked a partner who is better than that!

I've never had a partner who didn't like my weight, per say. When my insecurities showed they've always been reassuring, they love me the way I am etc. I just didn't love myself. I'd overcompensate by obsessing about the things I could control. My hair, clothes etc. I would make excuses not to go out because of what other people may think of me, I think I'd even suffer what were mild panic attacks - though I've never been diagnosed.

I just want to feel confident, alone or with someone.

LadyFi said:
You raise a good point. There is the risk of gain and then the person who fell in love with you slim will change their minds. You just have to hope you've picked a partner who is better than that!

I've never had a partner who didn't like my weight, per say. When my insecurities showed they've always been reassuring, they love me the way I am etc. I just didn't love myself. I'd overcompensate by obsessing about the things I could control. My hair, clothes etc. I would make excuses not to go out because of what other people may think of me, I think I'd even suffer what were mild panic attacks - though I've never been diagnosed.

I just want to feel confident, alone or with someone.

Men like that are extremely rare. These days a lot of people are so taken with media images that they've forgotten what a real human body looks like without being modified. That to me is sad and should I ever have kids? I wouldn't raise them into thinking that there bodies were anything else but a blessing.

LadyFi I thank you for your words and I sincerely hope you reach your destination to happier and of course, healthier life :)

Men like that are extremely rare. These days a lot of people are so taken with media images that they've forgotten what a real human body looks like without being modified. That to me is sad and should I ever have kids? I wouldn't raise them into thinking that there bodies were anything else but a blessing.

LadyFi I thank you for your words and I sincerely hope you reach your destination to happier and of course, healthier life :)

I don't know, there are plenty of nice guys out there. I think sometimes we give them a bit of a raw deal. Us girls can be just as shallow sometimes, unfortunately.

I do however agree about the world children are being raised in today. I'm hoping the new generation of parents will see how this generation is turning out and it'll flip back to the good old days. Here's hoping, eh?

Having been 'overweight' all my life and having done WW (successfully apart from putting it all back on and more twice), Sw no success, Rosemary Connelly (no success) in 2004 I finally hit a wall and discovered low carb/good carb and lost 5.5 stone 7 years on I have fluctuated at most 10lbs up and always managed to lose it and control it. I have no idea what eventually made me succeed just the right time, like giving up smoking, no finger pointing, turning point, kodak moment just a 'right I have had enough' moment I suppose! Good luck to everyone on here I hope you have all reached your 'no going back' moments. xx

LadyFi said:
I don't know, there are plenty of nice guys out there. I think sometimes we give them a bit of a raw deal. Us girls can be just as shallow sometimes, unfortunately.

I do however agree about the world children are being raised in today. I'm hoping the new generation of parents will see how this generation is turning out and it'll flip back to the good old days. Here's hoping, eh?

I agree that there are plenty of men out there, but my belief is that they're prejudice far outweighs a woman's in regards to beauty otherwise most women would not wear make up, visit tanning salons, book for plastic surgery or spend thousands on clothes and hair maintenance.

What's shocking to me is that there is an increasing number of children as young as 10 (maybe lower) who are so obsessed with their bodies that they begin to develop eating disorders. And in some cases, it's the parents themselves who reinforce their child's fears by demonstrating their own insecurities with their body when they talk about how they hate their saggy breasts, stretch marks, cellulite and pouchy belly in front of their child.
I just think we all need to embrace our human form the way it was created and stop trying to look like perfect Barbie and Ken, dolls because that is not what a human looks like.

Rocksy said:
Having been 'overweight' all my life and having done WW (successfully apart from putting it all back on and more twice), Sw no success, Rosemary Connelly (no success) in 2004 I finally hit a wall and discovered low carb/good carb and lost 5.5 stone 7 years on I have fluctuated at most 10lbs up and always managed to lose it and control it. I have no idea what eventually made me succeed just the right time, like giving up smoking, no finger pointing, turning point, kodak moment just a 'right I have had enough' moment I suppose! Good luck to everyone on here I hope you have all reached your 'no going back' moments. xx

Hi Rocksy,

Welcome to our topic of discussion.
Again, like a lot of us, we try all sorts of things to help us lose weight until we eventually discover one that helps us to not only lose the weight but maintain it also. So congratulaions on finding a health regime that keeps you on the straight and narrow and well done for quitting the smoke and losing that many stones. You have much to be proud of and I'm sure if you can quit smoking and lose weight, you can accomplish so much more :)

Hello all :)

I have been overweight for a long time, certainly since my late teens and I'm now 33! The last couple of years I put on further weight and was noticing how tired and drained I felt all the time...I made a few half hearted attempts to do something about it but I was drained so easily that I just didn't have the energy.

Last year I had health problems. Doctors discovered a fibroid tumour which was growing rapidly and it was a very frightening time. I underwent surgery to remove it but due to it's size (I was told after to 'think galia melon size...') they had trouble controlling the bleeding and had to perform a sub total hysterectomy. Fortunately the tumour turned out to be benign but it was a very difficult thing to come to terms with that I now can't have children.

I didn't return to work until earlier this year and gave my self a good few months to feel settle in again before thinking about weight loss again. I have so much more energy than I used to, I just feel brighter in myself and I am determined to turn this year in to a good one!

Dhanne said:
Hello all :)

I have been overweight for a long time, certainly since my late teens and I'm now 33! The last couple of years I put on further weight and was noticing how tired and drained I felt all the time...I made a few half hearted attempts to do something about it but I was drained so easily that I just didn't have the energy.

Last year I had health problems. Doctors discovered a fibroid tumour which was growing rapidly and it was a very frightening time. I underwent surgery to remove it but due to it's size (I was told after to 'think galia melon size...') they had trouble controlling the bleeding and had to perform a sub total hysterectomy. Fortunately the tumour turned out to be benign but it was a very difficult thing to come to terms with that I now can't have children.

I didn't return to work until earlier this year and gave my self a good few months to feel settle in again before thinking about weight loss again. I have so much more energy than I used to, I just feel brighter in myself and I am determined to turn this year in to a good one!

Oh my gosh Dhanne. After all that they discovered the tumor wasn't malignent? That's heartbreaking. I'm all for better safe than sorry, but couldn't they have just taken a sample and test it first before major surgery?
I understand that you won't be able to make children, but you could still adopt children and there really are that many unloved children out there who are looking for strong, determined and caring people like you.
My hope is that you will continue to lose and maintain your weight.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I just want to lose weight so I can feel more confident again and wear all the pretty clothes, fit into my jeans nicely and not have a fat ass :D
I think being thinner does make a difference to my confidence. I'd just like to look nice again and feel good - plus I want to be fitter than I am at the moment, instead of feeling heavy sometimes.

I've never been thin - for my entire adult life I have been about a size 18 and I have never let it affect me when it comes to being sociable and what I wear, etc, but having gained weight recently, I decided to try and lose some weight. The challenge is set now, so my aim is to slowly get to 12 stones, which will be a loss of 5st 6lbs in total.

I'm also really unhappy with my job, they have treated me like a mug and it has left me with no confidence at all :( but I doubt I can find a job that pays the same so I feel stuck in a rut. I just want a change so that I can maybe go to a job interview without knowing that they will hire the giggling, skinny blondes over the fat, tall girl with the short hair and glasses :rolleyes:.

Wii-Gym-Bunny said:
I just want to lose weight so I can feel more confident again and wear all the pretty clothes, fit into my jeans nicely and not have a fat ass :D
I think being thinner does make a difference to my confidence. I'd just like to look nice again and feel good - plus I want to be fitter than I am at the moment, instead of feeling heavy sometimes.

Can't argue with that. Keep up the hard work and you'll surely be rewarded :)

happypear said:
I've never been thin - for my entire adult life I have been about a size 18 and I have never let it affect me when it comes to being sociable and what I wear, etc, but having gained weight recently, I decided to try and lose some weight. The challenge is set now, so my aim is to slowly get to 12 stones, which will be a loss of 5st 6lbs in total.

I'm also really unhappy with my job, they have treated me like a mug and it has left me with no confidence at all :( but I doubt I can find a job that pays the same so I feel stuck in a rut. I just want a change so that I can maybe go to a job interview without knowing that they will hire the giggling, skinny blondes over the fat, tall girl with the short hair and glasses :rolleyes:.

WWooowwww... Your last entry was descriptive. Very stereotypical which I don't believe is always true. I see all sorts....

....of people getting hired for big jobs. But yes. A clean, professional appearance is required. But that doesn't mean every tall, thin, golden haired girl with short hair and specs are gonna get it. If anything, I would suspect that because they're blonde people look at them as beautiful idiots. We all get discriminated against but that doesn't mean you cannot try. That's just an excuse.
I think you do need to build up self confidence because you don't want anyone to that you for a mug. Learn to stand up for yourself, whether you're fat or thin.
Once you start seeing results I'm sure you'll stick to it until you reach your goals to much happier and indeed healthier lifestyle.

All the best :) xx

Very interesting thread. I just wanted to add, I have two boys three and two, and my three year old already calls people fat (they are not fat people I should add, he doesnt know what it means really, just that it is not a nice thing to call someone). I have no idea where he is getting this as he's not in nursery or anything yet, I'm thinking he saw it on tv somewhere. Image is everywhere, its really sad how bombarded they are from so young, my friends kids are really fussy about what they wear already - at 3, ie no shoes only trainers etc.
I had an eating disorder for years and my mum was always unhappy with her body, I'm determined my kids will never hear anything negative about anyone's body ever in my house.
Good luck in your journeys, in looking forward to getting back to mine at sone stage.

Last edited:
Back