what piece of kitchen equipment could you not live without ?

Ah OK, ta. I admit Ive never used the microwave for cooking anything, ever! It only gets used for heating up leftovers or frozen stuff! Mmm so does the rice come out loose or does it tend to stick together? The sticky rice thing is the only problem I get using the hob.

Ah OK, ta. I admit Ive never used the microwave for cooking anything, ever! It only gets used for heating up leftovers or frozen stuff! Mmm so does the rice come out loose or does it tend to stick together? The sticky rice thing is the only problem I get using the hob.

Presumably you've tried adding a few drops of olive oil to the pan - this apparently prevents rice or pasta sticking?

WelshCake said:
I couldn't live without my mezzaluna, just bought a potato ricer from Ikea will try it later, I also love my slow cooker and my slicing machine which has saved me a fortune over the year, I can do wafer thin ham from my cooked gammon joint enough to last me for 12 meals for £3 :D

You have me pondering now,over whether to try slicing meat in my food processor? I know they would be smaller pieces,but it still would be sliced x

I love my:

Knives cos they are super sharp!
George Forman grill
Philips Airfryer
Weighing scales
My huge Wok!

x

Presumably you've tried adding a few drops of olive oil to the pan - this apparently prevents rice or pasta sticking?

Yeah, Ive tried it in the hope of getting it just like it comes from the Indian restuarant but no luck. I just wonder if I dont put enough water in or cook it too long. At 8 mins it seems cooked to perfection and all water gone but 'stodgy' - I stir it round once with a fork but it still clumps. Maybe Im expecting too much. I might have a go at one of those rice cookers that Circes pointed at, ta x :)

" You can rinse and drain the rice in the steamer instead of using a sieve."

WTF?! :eek: I would never *dream* of putting so much water in you have to drain the blimmin thing! :confused:

I pour a jug of boiling water over my rice after it's cooked and it's lovely and fluffy and seperated.

Yeah, Ive tried it in the hope of getting it just like it comes from the Indian restuarant but no luck. I just wonder if I dont put enough water in or cook it too long. At 8 mins it seems cooked to perfection and all water gone but 'stodgy' - I stir it round once with a fork but it still clumps. Maybe Im expecting too much. I might have a go at one of those rice cookers that Circes pointed at, ta x :)

" You can rinse and drain the rice in the steamer instead of using a sieve."

WTF?! :eek: I would never *dream* of putting so much water in you have to drain the blimmin thing! :confused:

Maybe that's the problem!! With rice I always cook it and drain. I rinse my rice thoroughly too!!!

With pasta, I boil til almost done, then cook the last new mins in the sauce, that helps it stick and get nice and covered! :)

Back