What to do with BNS and how to do it?

Can i have hints and tips on what to do with it, no matter how basic you think instruction is.
How do i make chips? What do you add to make it a mash?
And someone mentioned Squashes i can get and bake them like a jacket...What are they??
Thanks

Im having butternut squash tonight - so this is what I will do

Peel it (u need a good peeler and a strong arm) you can leave the outer layer on but I prefer it without because it goes chewy. Cut in half remove stringy bits and seeds. Chop, boil in water, drain and mash.
Cut in chip sized pieces and roast with some spray stuff until soft and golden :)
I sometimes cut it in half removing seeds and stuff first. Roast in its skin with chilli, black pepper & cumin etc then scrape the flesh out of the outer bit and put it into soup - yum

My family love the stuff and prefer it to potatoes :)

Try celeriac too another good tasting vegetable just peel and chop

i peel and cut mine into chunks then roast for 25mins with garlic, onions and either cinnamon or 5 spice powder sprinkled over the top. Eat it like that or add some water/stock (about 1 1/2pints) simmer for 10mins and blitz into a soup it's really nice

jezzebell said:
i peel and cut mine into chunks then roast for 25mins with garlic, onions and either cinnamon or 5 spice powder sprinkled over the top. Eat it like that or add some water/stock (about 1 1/2pints) simmer for 10mins and blitz into a soup it's really nice

Yummy.... Thanks for this - sounds delicious.

The weekend I ate the whole bns and gained 2.5 lbs! I cut in half and just baked it in the oven until soft.

It becomes quite sweet and I sprinkled cinnamon on it and even a little splenda but probably didn't really need it. I read where someone even eats the skin! But I just scooped the flesh out and ate it, yum!!

steam it, mash it and use it as a topping for Cottage pie with very lean mince.

For a bit of crunch you can mash a carrot up with it.

All sounds good - I've just bought my first BNS so this is all really useful - thanks guys & thanks for the thread Kerry.

had mashed BNS and celeriac (new fav of family) on top of cottage pie last night - after fighting to peel them both they've got to taste good!

Just had my first lot of BNS since starting Dukan .... Am stuffed now :)

Got quite lot roasted BNS left - obviously can't use it up tomorrow - would it be safe to keep in fridge and then blitz up following day - thinking would be a nice soup.

?

after fighting to peel them both they've got to taste good!

Put the whole BNS in the oven for 7 or 8 mins then it peels easily (just used tea towel to hold it still bit hot)

Back