what to do with butternut squash

Toni-Marie

i have a butternut squash and no idea what to do with it i have heard soup is good.. but i cant seem to find any recipes...if anybody has any to share with me please let me know..

Butternut squash is a lovely vegetable.......you can roast it......chop up into cubes, spray with Frylight, sprinkle some salt, black pepper & Splenda & roast in a hot oven with any other veg of your choice eg. courgette, onion, carrots, mushrooms, peppers.
For soup....chop up squash, carrots, onions & leaks, fry in Frylight until caramalised, cover with veg stock & cook until veg softened & blitz until smooth....add salt & pepper to taste.
Hope you enjoy
Kim

thanks hun i will give the soup a try :) ill let you know x

Roasted BNS is my favourite, sprayed with frylight and sprinkled with garlic, chilli and black pepper.

use it in a cous cous with other roasted veg ie aubergine, mushrooms and red onions

Roasted and stuffed

chop in half and scoop out the seeds, slash flesh a few times to help it to cook, sprinkle with ginger, garlic and herbs, and roast in oven until cooked, scoop out flesh and mix with a little quark, spring onions and peppers (finely diced) and put back into skins, slice a baby bel (or 2) on top and return to oven until cheese melted.

Lovely with a salad - change from jacket spud.

I posted my curried squash and pepper soup on the forum a couple of days ago! It's lush! Leave out the curry powder if you don't like it the soup is just as nice!

I tried butternut squash for the first time last week, I made soup and for Sundays dinner had some with the other roasted veg, very nice. I didn't bother peeling it, just washed it, more fibre!

Pete’s Butternut Squash Curry Soup

Serves 4

Ingredients

425g/half a Butternut Squash, cut into 30mm cubes (leave the skin on) remove seeds.
750g chicken stock
1 tbsp. madras curry powder
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped

Method

Spray a frying pan with Fry Light, cook the onion until soft, add curry powder, add the cut butternut squash, along with the carrot & celery bring to the boil and then simmer for 30-40 mins until everything is soft. Season with salt & pepper.
Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand blender.

When buying butternut squash check that it sounds hollow when tapped, is a good orange colour with no bruises or green tinge.

They store well in a cool room wrapped in a dark paper bag, NOT in a plastic bag as it will rot!

Attachments

• Butternut Squash Curry Soup (Large).JPG
    Butternut Squash Curry Soup (Large).JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Chicken Sunday Lunch (Large).JPG
    Chicken Sunday Lunch (Large).JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 115
Yesterdays butternut squash recipe..................

Pete’s Butternut Squash Chicken Curry

Serves 4
Ingredients

425g/½ butternut squash
1 onion, chopped
1tsp “easy lazy” garlic
1tsp “easy Lazy” ginger
1tsp cumin
1tsp turmeric
1tsp coriander
1tsp garam masala
1tsp madras curry powder
600g chicken, pre-cooked, chopped into cubes
750mL chicken stock
400g Chopped Tomatoes

Method

(This can be made in advance.)
Chop up the butternut squash into small cubes; leave the skin on, extra fibre!

Spray a large saucepan with Fry Light and add chopped onion, ginger & garlic, cook for 7 mins, with a lid on the pan.

Add butternut squash, madras curry powder and chicken stock, cook for 40 mins, remove from the heat and liquidize with a hand blender.

Continue.

Place back on heat and add cumin, turmeric and coriander, cook for 1 min, add tomato and chicken cook until chicken has been cooked through. Add garam masala 5 min before serving.
Serve on a bed of rice with a side salad.

Attachments

• Butternut Squash Curry (Large).JPG
    Butternut Squash Curry (Large).JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Butternut Squash Curry-2 (Large).JPG
    Butternut Squash Curry-2 (Large).JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 77
Back