what to do with sour fruits?

auntynet

Need some ideas please - I was feeling very virtuous when I bought fresh redcurrants and cranberries but I'm now wondering what to do with them cos they're just so bitter tasting. They need using up today and I really don't wanna wasted these SS fruits so any ideas would be welcome.

cook them with sweetener 57g cooked 1/2 syn cranberries, 85g 1/2 syn redcurrant's saves wasting them

Thanks for the reply slickers - decided that I'm gonna cook the redcurrants and have them for dessert later with some greek yogurt, when they've cooled down.

Was reading another thread about too much fruit and what to do with it and I'm gonna freeze the cranberries for now.

Off to the kitchen now - I have 2lb of chicken thighs that need cooking, a pork loin roast to do, tons of asian veg and lots of fruit that need my attention. . . . . . I really should learn to walk away from the bargains :D

So here's what I did with the redcurrants.

simmered 100g of them with 1 tblsp water and 2 tsp sweetener. mashed them up. let them cool.

In a ramekin dish I crushed a choc & fudge hifi bar, warmed it in microwave for 30 seconds then squashed it down tight with a spoon. put in fridge to chill. mixed 2 tsp sweetener with 2 tbsp total 0% greek yogurt, poured it over hifi bar, then topped with the redcurrants.

We're about to sit down to dinner and I am not pleased that I have to eat some broccoli & cheese soup, then a plate of roast pork loin, roast spuds, bns & sweet potato mash, carrots, green beans & broccoli before I can eat the dessert!!!!! :D

I'l be back later when I can drag my big fat belly off the sofa. ;)

That dessert sounds lovely let me know how it was as I have frozen berries and I tried them on just my FF yogurt but they were Soooooooo bitter so have left them in the freezer but could do with shifting them out for the space now x

Re frozen berries: I just add sweetner when theyre defrosting...

I add sweetener as they defrost - or if fresh I prepare them in advance and sweeten. If they are very tart I add 1 tsp sugar and leave to stand for a couple of hours - that also brings out some lovely juices. I usually serve them with fromage frais mixed with white choc options - Yum!

Back