What to do...

poweris3

This Thursday we are spending the day at my partners dad's house. We will be there for lunch and dinner. I'm not sure what to do...

1) They don't usually eat at regular times and most times I've been there they won't eat any lunch at all so then you're starving at dinner and gorge...

2) I don't want to make a fuss in asking his step-mum to make special arrangments so my food is cooked inline with SW rules..

3) I thought about taking my own food along but we think that is going to look rude.

Not sure how to handle the situation. I know that if the food looks a bit to rich or synned I just won't want to eat, and seeing as we won't be getting home till nearly 11pm that's a long time to be hungry...

:sigh:

Why don't you bank your syns for the week so that you can enjoy whatever they give you to eat (in moderation) and that way you shouldn't see a gain on the scales!

If you've got an Hi-Fi or Alpen bars or even banana's, take them in your bag - you can have 'lunch' in the loo then ;)
Have a big brekkie? Fruit salad & yoghurt followed by a hard boiled egg & toast - then you're neutral for the day so can have less meat or less potato's - however the day pans out?

I'd also suggest saving up some syns so that you can eat with everyone, just having a small portion of the rich dish and filling up on the veggies (if there are lots) and the potato/rice/pasta etc. Make sure you have a hearty breakfast and fruit snacks on route to keep you going until dinner.

How comfortable are you speaking to his step mum? Could you perhaps let her know you're watching your food at the mo and would really be happy with veggies/ plain pasta/ potatoes etc so that she's not making something different but you have the accompaniments of the dinner and don't have the rich dish?

I had the same problem when I was at conference and no say in the food that was available - i agree with the above bank some syns, have a big brekkie take something filling for your lunch and then avoid anything you know is super bad, if there's a big afters just say your full/don't feel well/need to have a lie down.

Equally enjoy the day and the food, being on a diet doesn't mean you have to be a bore or make people go out of their way for you, that's what's great about slimming world.

Hope you have a great day

I would contact her and ask what she is planning to serve, then offer to bring some dishes. That way you can take SW friendly foods and also get brownie points for being thoughtful in not wanting to leave all the work to her ;)

thank you all for your replies and ideas, am definitly going to take some free snacks in my bag to be going on with... i probably won't say anything to her cos i don't know her very well and don't want to cause a fuss... she is a lovely woman but i still would feel funny about being picky lol...

thanks again, such a helpful group hehe..

xxxx :-D

Back