what was your worst fat moment

I love this thread! It's so motivating.

Once when I was at work in the bank, a customer came in and just blurted out 'are you having a baby?' I was mortified and burst into tears! the worst part was the expression of disbelief when i told them I wasn't pregnant!

Being handed clothes in a size 18 by my mum, when I was sure I looked more like a 14 (deluded moi?).

Walking down the street about 3 weeks after giving birth, a group of men decided to shout insults such as wide load and fat ass at me. Doesn't sound too horrific I suppose, but I was still full of hormones at the time and i got so upset, I never want to be singled out as the fat person again.

I love this thread! It's so motivating.

Once when I was at work in the bank, a customer came in and just blurted out 'are you having a baby?' I was mortified and burst into tears! the worst part was the expression of disbelief when i told them I wasn't pregnant!

Being handed clothes in a size 18 by my mum, when I was sure I looked more like a 14 (deluded moi?).

Walking down the street about 3 weeks after giving birth, a group of men decided to shout insults such as wide load and fat ass at me. Doesn't sound too horrific I suppose, but I was still full of hormones at the time and i got so upset, I never want to be singled out as the fat person again.

Aren't people cruel?! Of course,those people are all Supermodels! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:XX

What a wonderful thread!! I have laughed out loud in relief that other people have experienced exactly what I've experienced! I know all about extension belts on planes, toilets that are too small for me to fit in, plane tables that don't come down over the belly so you have to balance your food somehow, seats that you can't sit in as they are too narrow etc etc etc.

My worst moment was when I had bought an outfit for my daughter's wedding four years ago. I'd spent a fortune on it, a designer dress and jacket that I thought looked gorgeous with some really lovely shoes that had an ankle strap. Alas, on the day, although the sun shone beautifully, it was very windy and the outfit was blown tight against my body, showing my fat in all its glory! To make it worse, due to my weight, the heels of my shoes sank into the grass so on all the photos it looks as if I have flat ankle strap shoes on and that in turn makes my legs look horrendous!! Her mother in law, standing next to me, looked so elegant! I can't bear to look at the photos of me and feel that I really spoilt her wedding because of it.

My funniest fat moment was when my husband and I were decorating the spare bedroom. I sat down for a moment on the bathroom stall that was a cheap, plastic three legged thing. As we talked I became aware that I was moving and I gracefully sank to the floor as the legs buckled under me! I swear the stool was weak anyway - but hubby knows better and is just too kind to admit it! We did laugh about it though!

x

what a kind hubby you have Granma.. :)

Its terrible when stuff like that happens... but to be fair.. it was the stool to blame..

x x

Ooo something similar happened to me! 10 years back I was at my perfect size 10 younger sis's BBQ, along with all her similarly flawless mates. I met most of them for first time at that BBQ, including the one who asked (in all innocence) 'is this your first?' It dawned on me that she thought I was expecting (when i was just a plus size in an empire line summer dress). I then replied ''I'm not pregnant, just fat!!!" and then laughed so hard at her that the poor girl was mortified...LOL so not really a bad moment as such...not really had one of those.

My method of coping with how large I was was almost instinctively knowing what situations to avoid. Probably why I stayed very overweight for so long and also meant I lived a bit of a limited life for quite a while, in all honesty.

This is a great thread, interesting to know about the experiences of others.

Last edited:
I have 2 significant 'worst fat moments'.
The first was a few years ago when we took the kids and my sister to Alton Towers for the day.
We were in a queue for nemesis ride and had been in the queue for about an hour and 15 mins and were minutes from getting on the ride when my sister suddenly needed the toilet. i wasnt bothered about the ride so i offered to go back with her... so we had to fight our way through the queue in the opposite direction when suddenly someone shouted ' look at her, she was too fat to get on'.
The majority of the crowd either didnt react or meerly tutted at the rude remark but a handful laughed loudly and i was mortified.
The second occasion (and a big reason im here now).
i was in the doctors office with the doctor and the window was slightly open . suddenly a young lad (about 18 years old) flung the window open and stuck his head in. then he laughed and shouted out to his friends outside ' ewww look, theres a huge beef in here'. The doctor then slammed the window and didnt know what to say. I just pretended to be invisible and couldnt wait to get home into my secure world where nobody could see me.

Ditto most of whats already been said.

I was at my daughters wedding thinking I looked acceptible until I got the photos back. I broke my heart. The mother and daughter photo looked like I had big red apple cheeks and the tops of my arms were bulging. I was also caught on camera from a side view - the gut was hideous. Oh the shame.

I will never delude myself again.
x

no wedding photos for me yet, but there are very few photos of me. I cut them up and denied I was so fat. No photos no evidence.

The usual, someone asking when the baby is due!

yeah i got that when i worked in my last job. Im a florist and those pinnies r less than flattering, especsh when ur fat! And a woman came in and asked when it was due, funnily enough i never saw her again! But i was 17 at the time, i coulda died. Now 21,got my own, so can chuck them out!!!! lol xx

Im looking 4ward 2 the lads who i was at school with not recgonising me! Poss (prob not mind!) hitting on me and me tellin them 2 get stuffed!!!!

Crossing the road I checked to make sure no cars were turning left, then as I was walking a car started honking at me which blatantly wasn't indicating. So I turned round in a bit of a strop and mouthed "eff off" (cos I'm classy like that) and the bloke yelled "don't tell me to eff off you fat cow!". Absolutely mortified, still makes me cringe today...

Personally, I have always believed that the person who resorts to the 'appearance related insult' has lost the argument...if they ever had a valid one to start with! :)

Not that I haven't given a few '*WHAT?!* with the way *YOU* look?' responses to such insults ;)

Oh wow, its been amazing reading these I think I can relate to them all especially the ones about just avoiding situations where you may be too large to do the activity.

I've had a lot of mean things said to me but the most embarassing was last week when I finished my teaching placement. I was presented with some leaving gifts in the assembly and I heard one of the five year olds say loudly "Miss **** is leaving cos she has a baby in her tummy." I nearly died of shame!

The worst?

At Christmas, I weighed 12 stones. Sounds like nothing, but I'm tiny, as are my entire family. When I was checking in for my flight home, the lady asked me if I was pregnant.

On Christmas Day, I went to my grandfather's house. He is not long for this world. He saw me and told my mother he was very worried about me. I looked so big, and so ill. Everybody thought so. They thought I was ill because I had gained so much weight. It was humiliating and saddening for me. I had to explain eventually that I had manic depression and took a lot of medications, which I'd previously hidden from my family.

It also nearly killed me to hear my grandmother remark that I used to be so pretty.

I remember being in a warehouse in Thailand (all the thai ladies are sooooo tiny) and I was really tired as we had been working all day. One of the lasses was sitting in a little chair type hammock thingy and got up and insisted that i sat down on it. As i did, the chair frame just buckled and i ended up on the floor. I coudn't get out of there quick enough....
mortifyingly embarrassing.....

M x

OMG.... i remember being on a plane and splitting my trousers right down the seams at my bottom. I stayed on the plane until everyone had got off as literally my knickers were showing right out of this probably 8" split. The stewardess asking me if i wanted a needle and thread......
couldn't wait to get my suitcase and i tied a jumper round my waist to cover my emerging buttocks......
oh the shame of being in that airport.....

Back