What weight do you think is healthy for 5ft 10?

Hi all I'm 5ft 10 and currently weigh 11st 5lbs. I'm going to get my club 10 next week (hopefully) and I'm thinking of a reasonable target to set. The truth is I've never been lighter than 12 stone and don't want to set it to low. Is there any 5ft 10 ladies out there? And if so what's your target? Thank you :) xxx

Well, I'm 5 foot 9 and I know in the past I have been very happy at 10 stone 10 lbs.
However I'm not sure someone else's ideal weight is necessarily a good guide for you as different people carry their weight differently ...if that makes sense.
I'm your typical pear shape so being that weight makes me feel comfortable around my bum, thighs and hips. Having said that, I weigh 11 stone 10 at the moment and I'm not unhappy with how I look at the moment either....so you see, even I have quite a wide weight range in which I'm happy at!

I'm 5ft10 too =)

According to our height, bmi wise, we should be no less than 9'13 (bmi of 20), and no greater than 12'6 (bmi of 25) and 11 stone being a happy middle.

Have you taken a full body picture of yourself? Sometimes its easier to see what you look like weight wise from a different angle? x

Not that i go buy the expected BMI charts - but in your case, you are already in the healthy range (23.4) so whatever target you choose is up to you - because you feel right!

It may be that one day soon you wake up thinking i feel good and then you'll know that this is your target :)

I find it tough to go by weight as the BMI charts are not suitable for all - especially if you have a higher muscle mass the average. And weight isn't everything. My mum is the same height as me, 2 dress sizes larger than me, but 3 stone lighter than me...!!?? I don't believe in a 'goal weight' at all!!

I'm aiming for a size rather than a weight - at my height I will be happy at a size 12. Are you happy with your size?

I find it tough to go by weight as the BMI charts are not suitable for all - especially if you have a higher muscle mass the average. And weight isn't everything. My mum is the same height as me, 2 dress sizes larger than me, but 3 stone lighter than me...!!?? I don't believe in a 'goal weight' at all!!

I'm aiming for a size rather than a weight - at my height I will be happy at a size 12. Are you happy with your size?

Trouble is, I'm not even sure you can rely on sizes either these days as generally shop sizes vary so much....even within the same shop.
At the moment, I am wearing some 12's, some 14's and even 16's so I couldn't possibly aim for one size!

I think how you feel is definitely the way to go.

I am so jealous, you started out 2lbs heavier than my target weight which I have set at 12 stone 5lbs. That will mean a loss of 9 stone 7lbs so it will be amazing to reach it.

I think I'd actually like to get down to 12 stone but just within my healthy range is the most important thing. I have a weird psychological thing that I can cope with saying I've lost 9 stone something but not 10 stone-nutty or what?

A comfortable 14 is where I am aiming for, the smallest I can remember being is when I got married & I had a size 16 dress which was taken in.

I am so jealous, you started out 2lbs heavier than my target weight which I have set at 12 stone 5lbs.

Ha- this made me laugh.

A friend of mine joined SW after seeing how much weight i've lost. she's only 2 inches smaller than me (i'm 5'11) and her start weight was my target weight!

apparently the jealousy was rather obvious :p:p

Setting target is a scary thing to do, once you have got the plan in your head, it's quite daunting to maintain and I was scared I would undo all my hard work. I also knew how to stick with the plan to lose, not to maintain, so it seemed easier to change my target weight. I suggest you have a target, see how you adjust to maintaining for a few weeks and then decide if the target is right for you as its as much about what's going on in your head as your weight and dress size.

Hi everyone sorry I haven't replied sooner, busy with Christmas shopping! Thanks for all your advise, I've taken it all on board. I think what I will do is is just carry on and when I feel comfortable ( size 12 jeans) I'll start maintaining. Clothes size rather than what it says on the scales is more important xxxxxx

mrsthunderbolt said:
I am so jealous, you started out 2lbs heavier than my target weight which I have set at 12 stone 5lbs. That will mean a loss of 9 stone 7lbs so it will be amazing to reach it.

I think I'd actually like to get down to 12 stone but just within my healthy range is the most important thing. I have a weird psychological thing that I can cope with saying I've lost 9 stone something but not 10 stone-nutty or what?

A comfortable 14 is where I am aiming for, the smallest I can remember being is when I got married & I had a size 16 dress which was taken in.

Ah sorry love I didn't mean to sound ungrateful about my starting weight. X but I agree about thinking about weight. I kept thinking even if I get to 10st 13 I'd be happy but not 11st 1???? Crazy

Hi I am 5' 10 and been at target since July. Originally set target at 10st 10lb but when I got there wasnt at all happy with myself, still got a proper muffin top going on. So to cut a long story short and many ups and downs to get there, adjusted my target to 10st 8lb. Once set you can go up 3lbs or down 3lbs from yr target number without paying. Last week I was 10st 7.5 lbs I think I have lost a little bit more this week. I would say, once you decide on target just make sure you are really happy at that weight as it takes a little bit of ups and downs to re set yr target as this can only be re set by 7lbs. And yes, I find maintaining target quite hard but so far have managed it. Not easy though, such a long tale, sorry.

Back