What would you do with fennel?

jayde1148

Gold Member
Hope someone can help! I won a fennel in the raffle at class and have never eaten it before let alone cooked one! What would you do with it and how do you cook it?!

Thanks x

I used a fennel bulb in the following recipe! also slice it thinly and add to salads.

Pete’s Salmon Parcels & Couscous
Serves 2
Ingredients
2 Salmon Fillets
½ Fennel bulb, finely chopped
1 large Tomato, deseeded & finely chopped
1 small Leek, finely chopped
1tsp fish sauce
2 lemons
100g Couscous
Knorr vegetable stock pot
2 spring onions
Salt & Pepper

Method

Pre heat the oven at 220c
Cut two pieces of cooking foil so that you can make a parcel and fit inside two oven-proofed dishes.
Place the salmon skin side down and cut the lemon into slices and lie along the length of the salmon, apply the fish sauce to each piece, also the zest of a lemon. Add the Fennel, leeks and tomato, splitting the mix between the two salmon. Season well. Loosely fold the parcel and fold over at the top to allow the steam to escape. Cook for 20 mins.
10 mins before the end of the cooking time, prepare the couscous, add the stock cube to 200ml of boiling water, mix and add to the couscous, mix well then cover and stand for 10 mins.
Plate up with a bed of couscous and carefully remove the salmon from the foil remembering it will be very hot, de-skin it and cover with the cooked veg from each parcel. Add lemon juice as required. Serve with a salad.
SalmonParcelCouscousSmall.jpg

Thanks looks yummy, do you think it would work with other fish?

Should do, I don't have many fish dishes!

Roast it!

I love 'roasting' med vegs - put a mixture of you favourites into a roasting pan - I like aubergine, peppers, onions, courgettes, fennel, garlic, tomato, mushrooms - whatever I've got in!

Give it a good spray with fry light, toss with garlic, cover with foil and bake in oven. As with 'chips' toss and re spray every 10 - 15 minutes. Remove foil when it starts to soften and cook for the last 20 mins or so.

Will freeze ok. And also leftovers are delicious with pasta - cold or hot

You can quarter it and bake it (covered) with some garlic in chopped tomatoes to serve with roast meat. I love it but we just can't get it in Spain :cry:

Thanks for the ideas :)

Back