What's going on???

I have been doing slimming world for almost 4 weeks.
I had a massive 7lb loss after the first week... but NONE since then!

Whats happeneing!? I use my syns weekly, have free days every day and use my syns for a bottle of wine on the weekend - using less than the minimum 5 a day.

im SURE im doing everything right....but i just dont get whats going on! help!

Have you been keeping a food diary? Maybe post a couple of typical days and experienced people could give you feedback.

I'd say 7lbs is still a good loss for 4 weeks. Over 4 weeks I've lost 6lbs. 0.5-2lbs each week. You're doing better than me in the same space of time.

Maybe you are not using enough syns? Some people find that having them weekly doesn't work, you could try aiming for 10 a day and see what happens? X

id cut the wine and up your syns to 8 ish per day. perhaps the alcohol is holding you back, your body might need a change. x

I have been doing slimming world for almost 4 weeks.
I had a massive 7lb loss after the first week... but NONE since then!

Whats happeneing!? I use my syns weekly, have free days every day and use my syns for a bottle of wine on the weekend - using less than the minimum 5 a day.

im SURE im doing everything right....but i just dont get whats going on! help!

A few things:

Start keeping a food diary and we can all take a look and maybe make suggestions - it is amazingly beneficial

Are you drinking enough water? Your body could be retaining fluid because you're not hydrated enough.

PORTION CONTROL! Are you mindful of portion size? This is a big one for me - I was used to having dinners that a Sumo wrestler would have difficulty finishing so have an honest appraisal of how much you're putting on your plate

Under 5 Syns a day is not enough. The minimum requirement of 5 is there for a reason. I'd up to 10 Syns and see how that goes.

Would you swap the wine for a couple of vodka and slimlines? I love wine too but have more or less cut it out since starting SW as it's just too calorific to justify. I'd rather have a couple of vodkas and a mini bar of chocolate!

Are you exercising? If I don't exercise I simply don't lose weight, no matter how strictly I adhere to plan

Finally, you have to look at the bigger picture. You had a huge loss in your first week and maybe your body is simply adjusting. You've still lost half a stone in less than month - better progress than I'm making!

I'd def try having 5 syns a day, you could still save some for wine at the weekend then.

If that doesn't work try daily syns and having at least 10 a day, saving syns doesn't work for everyone.

weekly syns never work out for me. And if you are using all your syns on wine, i'd say your body is too used to it and you need to mix it up a little (or stop drinking and have something else to really mix it up), i'd def try using at least 5 syns for 6 days of the week and then using the 75 in one day if you really have to use it on wine.

I'd save up syns for a bottle of wine but you can easilyy have 5-10 syns a day every other day. I do this on plenty of weeks (with vodka not wine) and can still lose. Make sure you try and have superfree with every meal. and drink water!
I upped my intake to 3-4 litres a day and lost 3.5 lbs this week.
good luck and keep going! Many people slow down after big losses, you're body just gets used to it. A girl at my group was losing 0.5 a week, despite being religious with the plan and body magic and then all of a sudden she lost 3.5, doing exactly the same.
Keep it up :D x

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I also asked my mum as shes on slimming world and just keeps loosing! She said it might be because i don't eat breakfast - never have, because i find food makes me feel sick before 1pm! However i forced an apple and 2 bananas this morning, and felt hungry about an hour and a half later - i guess that was my metabolism kicking in! I also took the advice and had some syns today - however im worried i may have messed up as i ate ikea food and have no idea how many syns i had! any chance someone could shed some light or take a wild guess for me please?!

Starter - standard ikea prawn and egg starter;
egg - free
lettuce - superfree
tomato - superfree
lemon - superfree
prawns - free
around a dessertspoon of mayo - ???
that strange little nut bread thingy - ate around 2/3 of it AND it was buttered - ???

mains - non standard chicken peshwari;
boiled rice - free
chicken (skinless breast) - free
peshwari sauce (asked for hardly any sauce, it was quite watery so was just a coating amount) - ???

Help!!!

Hi rach, first of all if you've never had breakfast before you don't need to eat it now. Secondly, it's impossible to guess how many syns was in the ikea food you had - sometimes meals out can look quite innocent yet be anything but! Thirdly I would definitely up your syns to see if it makes a difference - less than 5 a day really isn't enough, and also as unfair as it seems, some people don't do well by saving them all up for the weekend either (me included!)
Thirdly. Are you weighing and measuring your healthy extras properly? Are you having enough superfree with each meal?
And finally have you taken in your Food Diaries for your Consultant to look at?
It's really hard to guess whats happening but it's true that 7lb loss is a great start and it might just take a while for your body to catch up again so to speak :)

Hi rach, first of all if you've never had breakfast before you don't need to eat it now

She does need breakfast, everyone does!! it's called 'break fast' because you have to break the fasting from the night before, your body has been fasting from after dinner so it needs fuel when you get up in the morning so you can start the day! We all need 3 meals a day if we want to lose weight and be healthy so she should definitely start eating breakfast if she wants to see results on the scales! :)

Defo need to eat breakie! I never used to either but you find with slimming world even though the meals are satisfying i now feel the need to eat in the morning cause im hungry and your metabolism needs to know its getting regular food at regular times, wether it be porrige with fruit weetabix and fruit is lovely, or just fruit yougurt and sweetner, or a nice fry up if you have enough time, if not i grab 2 kellogs breakfast biscuits or 2 alpen light which are both hexbs

vanilla_cupcake said:
She does need breakfast, everyone does!! it's called 'break fast' because you have to break the fasting from the night before, your body has been fasting from after dinner so it needs fuel when you get up in the morning so you can start the day! We all need 3 meals a day if we want to lose weight and be healthy so she should definitely start eating breakfast if she wants to see results on the scales! :)

Lol, that's such a generalisation and simply not true! I've lost 8 stone and am in the best health I've been in for years, and I don't eat breakfast. There are too many of this sort of misconception flying around, so I'm afraid I have to say my bit, same as this drinking litres of water thing you so often hear - another weight loss myth. :) xx

cavegirl13 said:
You don't need breakfast or 3 meals a day to loss weight.It's just something a lot of people have got used to having.:)
I have breakfast maybe once a week and only have 2 meals a day and I have still lost weight althou not with a Slimming Plan.And my calories are over 1400 most days so I've not been eating less calories to lose the weight.:)

Hear hear! :) xx

As a Slimming World Consultant, I feel I have adequate knowledge of both Food Optimising and healthy eating in general to disagree with you there. And, what's more, adding a breakfast when you don't want one, CATEGORICALLY will not make a difference to your weight loss. So, sorry, but that's not correct. And by the way, I do know what 'break fast' means..... ;) :)

Last edited:
MrsScandude said:
As a Slimming World Consultant, I feel I have adequate knowledge of both Food Optimising and healthy eating in general to disagree with you there. And, what's more, adding a breakfast when you don't want one, CATEGORICALLY will not make a difference to your weight loss. So, sorry, but you're wrong. And by the way, I do know what 'break fast' means..... ;)

Lol, I agree with you 100%. :) If you go by the pedantic definition of the meal that breaks your fast, then everyone eats breakfast anyway, because something's got to be the first thing you eat! ;) I do daily fasting, and don't eat anything until 12.30, which suits me fine. There really are no hard and fast rules when it comes to weight loss - I do so many things that "they" say you shouldn't, but it works for me. :) xx

Back