What's the best way?

GemBobs

So after joining the gym and exercising more, I now need to start looking at the eating side of it all.

Now I'm wondering, what's the best way to look at what you're eating?

I've noticed some of you are calorie counting, some working with points, some with syns.

What I have figured out is that what I think is healthy - really isn't!!!
So feel free to help me out, and in return I will update regularly on how I'm doing.

Regards,

I think the first thing you need to do is decide what diet if any you are going to follow. If it's calorie controlled/healthy eating then you need to look at the calories on the food packaging and try to eat lots of fruit and vegetables and don't forget that you need healthy carbs, green leaf veg, a portion of lean meat etc. Try to drink lots of water too, i know we all say it but it does keep you away from caffiene and fizzy drinks.

There are some great online tools for calorie counting too, if those help you to track what you're eating.

I would agree that you need to decide if you'd like to follow some sort of plan (where you are pretty much told what to eat) or whether you want to go it alone.

I think it really depends on the type of person you are as to what suits you. I personally could not do to be told what I can and can't eat. I couldn't live on the shakes and food bars etc. that some vlcd's have you eating, nor can I be faffed weighing things out and counting points. But that's just me! Some people like the structure and it works for them so great.

Out of curiosity, what sort of things did you think were healthy but actually aren't? I have always thought that we know what's good for us and we know what's bad. We know that a bowl of strawberries is good for us whereas a bowl of ice cream isn't!

Out of curiosity, what sort of things did you think were healthy but actually aren't?

Can't quite think of anything off the top of my head, but there are just some things where you'd think they would be healthy - yet when you look at the calories or saturated fat etc. They're not as healthy as they first seemed! Sounds strange I know, maybe it was just me being dense!

Back