What's the one tip you would give to anyone starting

I'd have to say just TWO things... before you put anything (detrimental)in your mouth, take a moment to think if it's worth it. IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!

I think this was mentioned before but I think it's one of the most important things...
WATCH YOUR SYNS!! I'm guilty of squrting extra ketchup here, an extra spread of flora there, it all adds up. Keep tabs...

Scouzer. X

Remember you are unique. There are times when you will gain or sts for inexplicable reasons. Other people may lose more even if you are following the same plan - our bodies are all different.

And as always remember the following wisdom of Yoda if you want the SW plan to work.........

"Do or do not,...... there is no try"

Never give up. If you have a difficult day or week don't think all is lost, get back on the plan and keep going. Learn from your mistakes but don't let them de-rail your weight loss plans. You can't change what's already done but you have power over today.

Absolutely great advice here. I'd just like to add that it helps me to focus on the fact that I can have a huge variety of yummy and very satisfying meals without any guilt whatsoever. This means that if I'm at a buffet lunch with a fabulous spread of very synful food, I can just pick at the salad garnish knowing that when I get home I can pig out on loads of free food. Even when I'm down and need some comforting, I'll cook loads of SW chips with syn free sausages, eggs, bacon, beans and mushrooms. A meal like that seems so indulgent yet there isn't a syn in sight. Sometimes I think that this diet works by magic.

This is a great thread and very useful as an "old timer" rather than a new member.
If only we all did this things, we'd never have to moan about being overweight!!

I love Vixxster's quote though, so very very true!

Oh and my tip - plan.
That's it. Plan your meals, plan your snacks, plan your week if you can. You'll find you think about food constantly (no bad thing!) but it's so worth it.

And if you are out and about and need food, there are so many things you can have, don't forget the ever faithful jacket spud and beans!

Don't let a lapse become a relapse.

If you stray from the plan or have a binge or go off plan for your holidays, forget about it and get straight back on plan. That's been the big difference for me this time versus lots of other times I've tried to lose weight.

This is a way of eating for life - it doesn't magically go away once you get to target. Sometimes we have blips in life and things aren't smooth but if you get back on track sooner rather than later you will minimise the damage and be living life like a person who doesn't have a weight problem would!

I'd say forget the whole concept of 'dieting' and think of this as a new, permanent way of healthy eating. It has the power to completely change your whole attitude to food, if you let it.

I'd say forget the whole concept of 'dieting' and think of this as a new, permanent way of healthy eating. It has the power to completely change your whole attitude to food, if you let it.

:banghead: Where were you 7 years ago when I stopped SW and then proceeded to put everything back on plus a stone?!!! You definitely have to cancel out the whole idea of being on a diet. Really revise on absolutely everything - you will be so surprised at the things you can eat and how much of the things you like that you can eat. Just plan SO much and write everything down. You could also go through your SW directory if you have one, and highlight all the things that you like, put post-its on pages that you like etc. SW isn't something you can do unless you really adopt it into your life, you don't need to let it take over, but it does require a lot of thinking about.

:banghead: Where were you 7 years ago when I stopped SW and then proceeded to put everything back on plus a stone?!!!

Sorry hon, if I'd known it myself then I'd have told you. :D

I didn't realise it until I was a few weeks in, but I think if someone had told me to think like that from the word go, it would really have helped me get through that initial bit when you're struggling to get your head round it all and maybe to trust it.

What I find is that it is unbelievable how much we let our heads ruin everything, that angel and devil on each shoulder just will not shut up! It is all about control, only you can control this, and you have to really, really want it.

Stick at it! My weight loss was incredibly slow, but I kept plodding on and the lbs finally disappeared!

And mix it up. If you're not losing on Green or EE, throw in some more Red or Mix 2 Max days to shake things up a little.

xx

You do really have to embrace the whole concept of food optimising, and using food to your benefits. It takes a few weeks to get into it, but it's a philosophy that should stay with you for life.

My Advice: Trust the plan and eat!

if you dont lose for some weeks, then take a step back and put it in perspective - see how much you've lost so far and try some different foods, different meals, vary the way you eat, dont have the same breakfasts for instance, because its the variation that makes your body work harder to get rid of excess weight

There is really fantastic advice on this thread!!

as a newbie (well 4 weeks in!) I would say - plan, eat when you want to (so long as its free/low Syns) and write a food diary, it has helped me!

Back