Whats the problem with milk and caffeine?

louiser

Trying very hard!
Hiya,

I'm just wondering what it is about milk and caffeine that causes problems with caffeine?

I've been trying with Atkins but have had a few coffees and stopped loosing. Just wondering because I've read about people not drinking milk and not having caffeine?

Thank you,

Louise

I think it's the caffeine that stalls some people and milk isn't on the allowed list, double cream is allowed though. I have at least 2 decaf coffees with cream and it hasn't harmed me.

Soya milk is also ok but unsweetened is best. I have found myself in a few coffee shops recently and had to have decaf coffee with soya milk (sweetened) and it was quite nice. 2g carbs tho so not something I can do very often.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thank you for your reply,

Why is it that cream is ok but not milk?

Also, what is it about caffeine? Does that mean tea should be avoided too?

Thank you once again, still trying to get my head round everything! !

I think the original Atkins programme banned caffeine to begin with, but the latest version allows moderate consumption. I drink both coffee and tea (along with a LOT of water) and haven't found it a problem - but we're all different.

The reason we're not supposed to have milk until Phase 3 (Pre-maintenance) is because it contains the natural sugar lactose in enough quantity to be a problem. The rule of thumb for dairy is the higher the fat content, the lower the lactose, hence you can have double cream but not milk.

I find I can handle a couple of tablespoons of whole milk a day in tea (though I don't have it every day), but even that quantity might be a problem if you're sensitive to lactose. People who are very intolerant of lactose find they have to avoid dairy altogether in order to lose.

Hope that helps. :)

Caffeine has a number of actions in the body, including a thyroid suppressant action IIRC. I don't remember offhand whether it has an insulin raising action specifically, but I do know that it can impact on weight related hormones along the line somewhere- certainly an impact on thyroid could affect weight gain/loss. It affects some people more than others, just like lactose. Doesn't appear to be a problem for me, thankfully.

After deciding cream was too calorific, I used almond milk, but found it wasn't whitening enough, so went back to whole milk, but that's 4.7 carbs per 100ml, so I went to semi-skimmed (all I could get) lactose free milk, which is 3.3. I'm coming back round to cream again now! :D

Thank you for your replies, that's fantastic advice.

I didn't realise how many things can cause these odd problems!

I've brought some decaf coffee to try with,

Thank you x

Back