What's wrong with diet coke?

kjs1628

Surely....
I've noticed several comments saying to stay away from diet coke. Why is this?

I find it really useful as it's so filling. if you're saying no to it, can you offer alternatives?

Thanks.x

Ive not heard anything like that I drink diet coke by the gallon. I think it may because it can dehydrate you so you should drink plenty of water too.

Hi

On most VLCD's (I know this is the SW forum) you are advised not to drink Diet Coke as it has citric acid in it and it can affect ketosis.

You are also advised not to drink Coke Zero as it can cause bloating and cravings.

However, over the months I have been reading several reports regarding the connection with Diet Coke and Osteoporosis in Women, apparently men don't get affected.

This link gives some information:

Soda and Osteoporosis: Is There a Connection?

Last edited:
Its got a chemical in it that apprently been linked to cancer, but most diet products have is in, i thiink is asperentine or something like that,

Hi there

Never really heard anything bad about it. Although my dentist did suggest that even diet carbonated drinks are not good for your teeth (after DD needed a filling!!!)

I've never really liked these drinks anyway, so just don't drink them because of that...no medical reasons for me.

Lisa x

I am totally addicted to the stuff and there is nowt wrong with my teeth, although my Dr mentioned that it can erode enamel. You should never clean your teeth straight after drinking Diet Coke cos the enamel will be weak and the brushing will take the enamel away.

All fizzy soda's (coke, pepsi, fanta, tango, 7up, sprite etc.), wether diet not, are not good for you.

They contain sugars, sweeteners, artifical flavourings, asperentine, citric acids... most of which are "fake" ingredients, manufactured for the drink.

Fresh juice, and sugar-free squashes are the way to go.

I also remember reading, a while ago now I might add, that the "diet" drinks i.e. Diet Coke in some ways are worse than the regular, as when you drink the "Diet" version, your body still thinks it's about to get sugar from the sweet drink; when it doesn't it then produces cravings for other sugary food to get that sugar that it's expecting.

I know for me, a few sips of Pepsi Max and I want every sugar-filled thing I can get my hands on, hence why I haven't drunk it in over a year now; before I'd even heard of LL's expression "trugger food", I had identified it as my main one.

I also remember reading, a while ago now I might add, that the "diet" drinks i.e. Diet Coke in some ways are worse than the regular, as when you drink the "Diet" version, your body still thinks it's about to get sugar from the sweet drink; when it doesn't it then produces cravings for other sugary food to get that sugar that it's expecting.

My mother was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes a few months ago, and her diabetic nurse told her to cut out diet Coke etc for exactly that reason. The nurse is convinced that this reaction in the body is partly responsible for people becoming overweight in the first place, because it makes them crave sweet stuff.

i am addicted to diet bitter lemon ....makes me weeeeeee loads too and stops me opening a bottle of wine ...so cant be all bad !

Is fizzy water okay? I do think the bubbles help fill a gap!

Well. If you told me that I would drop down dead tomorrow, if I have another diet coke, then it would be 'Adios' from me.
I'm truley addicted and couldn't stop if my life depended on it.

I drink one or two cans of Diet Coke a day... I have to admit to feeling quite bad about that, cos it's not exactly healthy, I realise that! And I've read stuff about it being a bit of a diet saboteur too. However, I justify it several ways! I don't drink tea or coffee so it's my mid morning/afternoon pick-me-up and only source of caffeine, and also, I got fat by eating and drinking a LOT of unhealthy stuff. I've cut down on all that immensely, so having a bit of diet coke along with water and sugar free cordials can't be all that bad.... My opinion - if you're being generally healthier in lots of other ways, have a little of what you fancy!

H

ps: It's a fantastic hangover cure. Diet coke and a banana. Winner!

I am also addicted but to pepsi max, can't stand the taste of diet coke but as I sit here reading this thread I am drinking my glass of pepsi max and not even reading the bad side affects stop me wanting to drink it. For me I have this drink when I fancy a chocolate bar and funny enough it stops me wanting one. I know it's not got sugar in it but it gets rid of the sugar craving for me :D

For me its the whole rot your teeth thing!!! When pregnant with ds diet coke and Pepsi is all I wanted (i drank 4ltrs a day)...but paying the price now cos teeth have gone to pot slightly!!!

I used to be addicted to Diet drinks, went on slimming pills at the Dr's and in a month I only managed to loose 1lb. I was asked what I ate during the day (funnily enough I was on SW then)...Dr said that my eating was fine, so what was I drinking...I replied...diet coke...his reply "and??...", I replied "more diet coke" - I would drink anywhere up to 4-5 litres a day.
I had to go cold turkey and stopped drinking it for 6 years. I now stick to 1 can every so often and thats fine with me..I dont drink tea or coffee, just water and squash now.

Back