What's your motive?

HellieCopter

Gold Member
Are you slimming for something specific? An event or occasion? Or just because you want to be slimmer, healthier and in control of your diet?

I ask because I was doing it for a specific event, which has now passed. Obviously I wanted the general slimness and healthiness for life as well, but the event was a major goal. Now that is gone, it took me a while to get motivated to just doing the slimming for me.

Do you find having a set date in mind helps you focus your efforts or just sets you up for potential disappointment and it should just be 'when I get there'?

Hellie x

I needed to loose weight for my health as I was feeling the effect in everyday activities like walking and my blood pressure was high. But also about three months ago we booked a holiday for next June to the dominican republic and it has now become my goal to wear and feel confident in a bikini! My best friend has the same goal and is also following a weight loss plan!

Well done on carrying it on once you had passed your goal date. I have set mini goals before now and given up once the occasion had gone. I have always been on some kind of diet for the past 6 years but most have involved fads and quick fixes. this is the first time i have stuck to a plan.

My main reason for losing weight this time is because of my health. At a size 16 and with a BMI of 28, I don't have far to go but since my mum passed away in March at the age of 59, I have started thinking about my own health. She was enduring cancer treatment and a result of that and her weight was a clot on her lung which is what she died of. Both my parents were over weight, suffered with high cholestoral, high blood pressure and we since discovered that my mum was diabetic at the time of her death.

I look at my girls and want to establish good eating habits now, for us all but I don't want them to go through what I did.

Sorry for the rambling, I could go on all day if people let me

Hayley xxx

I started SW this time because I felt fat and horrible. I hated looking at myself in the mirror and I hated the fact that most of my clothes were too tight to wear.
I always get to a certain size when I really don't like myself and try to do something about it. I know, for me, that SW is the only way, after starting and stopping several times.
Although a little way to go I now feel great that I can get in all my clothes (with the exception of my tiny super small size 10, which is my target) and the only clothes I can no longer wear are the ones that are now too big! They will be given to charity shops as I never want to get there again.
I now don't mind looking at myself in the mirror. Still feel a bit "bumby" but like myself so much more.

I have a few reasons. One major one is that I am getting married in Oct 2010, so that has given me a timescale. Reason 2 is because recently I went to a playzone with my kids, and couldnt fit in the seats/picnic table, as the gap was too small for my monster belly, and I never want to embarass my kids (luckily they were too young this time to notice). I am also 30 in Feb, and feel that I am a sad, dowdy girl who did not enjoy her 20s because of the weight. I dont want my 30s to be the same.

Great post! I don't want to be fat and thirty and am thirty next September! We're going to Italy next year for my birthday and I want to feel and look good and do lots of different things! Nurse recently said I needed to lose weight (I already knew this but a bit of a shock to hear it!), want to be a healthy happy size and wear nice clothes and generally feel better about myself! No kids yet but if and when we are able I want to have good eating habits in place and have a healthy outdoor lifestyle and keep up with them xxx

I think my reasons are a little more vain. We (being my sis and all our mates) go on holiday every August. Every year I'v always been the one in the tankini, wearing leggings in 40degree heat under a dess when everyone else can go in short skirts. I want to feel happy with myself and my figure before my 20's pass me by. I'm trying to set my target date at 31st of July next year and I have to make it!!!!

Scouzer. X

I want to lose weight mainly to feel better about myself and build more confidence. When I was in primary school, although I was fairly popular, I still had to endure taunts and remarks about my weight. I was never hugely overweight as a child, but more than the average kid. That extra weight has always stuck with me and now I just want to be able to wear what I want without feeling self conscious and like a beach whale! I was doing sw for about 3 months before I had to move to France and Germany for 6 months each for my uni course. During my time there in 2007/8, I was so home sick, and I put on more weight through comfort eating, then when I came back in July 2008, I put on yet more weight coz I was eating everything that I couldn't get abroad! My mum and aunty have been going to sw for years so I was doing it with them but I couldn't stick with it as I ddnt have the pressure of going to WI. So, after a while of messing around with my diets, I'm finally determined to lose weight for me and my confidence, and not just to fit in with society :)

Mine was because I was getting married and didnt want to buy a massive wedding dress so I joined sw in February and lost 3st 4lb between then and July. Unfortunately it wasnt working out between my fiance and I, so now I have no wedding dress to slim into, but after taking a few months off between July and November, I figured that even if I dont have a wedding dress to slim into I still need to lose more weight. I want to feel confident and dont end up wasting the next one and a half years I have left of my 20's stuck indoors, or if I do go out then sitting in a dark corner hiding - I want to be the first one up on the dancefloor again like I used to be before I had my daughter almost 8 years ago and balooned to the size of a house - wish I could blame it on being pregnant but it was me stuffing my face because I was bored, lonely and depressed after she was born.

I also want to be a more positive role model food wise to my daughter who is a fussy little thing, which is down to me really, but even she's started eating better this year so thankfully my efforts to be healthy are rubbing off on her too!

ive no particular event in mind, but if i go on holiday next year (possibly late spring if i go) id love to be in a bikini. Plus id love to be able to pick up any item of clothing and know that not only will it fit but ill look bloody gorgeous in it!

I have a few reasons:
1, I want to be a mum more than anything in the world
2, My dad had a major heart attack last year which scared me
3, I want to fit and 30 next year
4, I would love to be able to get into my wedding dress again pref before my 8th anniversary in Feb
5, I want to be healthy and happy and confident

I know my OH loves me for me but I wish I could look like I did when we first met nigh on 9 years ago (after loosing loads of weight on WW) and just to be healthy and live a long life. When I reach my target I am intending to stay there and live life to the full like each day is my last as you never know what is around the corner. Nearly loosing my dad was one of the scariest moments in my life and I would never wish it on anyone.

My wedding on 18th June 2010 but I know I needed to do soemthing about it anyway. This is my 3rd go at SW as I know it works - it's only my own bad habits which mean I keep putting it back on (well I didn't last time, but struggled so stopped & maintained!)
C xx

My work is active and I wear heavy kit...body armour ect and being lighter is more healthier . Having new kit was a big motivator for me.

Since then its over 10 inches smaller and four sizes smaller

Phil x

I first joined SW the week after my 40th birthday as I wanted to have a healthier 40s than 20s and 30s. I lost 3 stone and then got distracted by life.

I'm rejoining with my OH next week. I would guess he has around 4 stone to lose and I've got around 7 to lose. He has problems with cholesterol, blood pressure etc. and - having met him once we were in our 40s - I want as many years with him as possible so we need to get healthy!

I don't like what I see in the mirror and hate being the 'blob' when we all go swimming on the beach. Fortunately I'm short sighted so can't see if anyone's staring at me :-D

This is fitting for my mood today honey :)

My weight gain was relatively sudden, with me gaining over 2 stone in 9 months due to medication. I figured that once I came off the meds the weight would naturally come back off. But it didn't and that turned into me becoming really down and gaining another stone in weight. At first people had complimented me saying I looked healthier (I'd always been a bit too thin in retrospect) but as the weight got higher the compliments stopped and 'other' comments started. The sad thing was, I was never massively heavy, at biggest a size 14 - which shows how cruel people can be if you don't 'fit' how they think you should be. The worst comment was off a guy who basically said I now had a fat butt but at least I had boobs now. I started hiding in baggy clothes and lost a little of my sparkle really.

I coasted for possibly another 6-7 months feeling like poo before realising I had two choices: 1) I could carry on being down and the weight get higher and higher, or 2) I fight back and sort myself out.

So I joined SW. and got my 1 stone off sticker before I stopped going to class. When I got engaged in March this year I had a fear of how I'd look as a bride and finally, in May I re-joined at a different group. I'd put 7lbs of the stone back on (as you do lol) but now total loss is at 23lbs which I am so proud of.

So basically, it's mostly for me but the wedding is spurring me on.

Also, I went shopping over the weekend and felt awful trying stuff on despite losing the weight. How ridiculous? I'm going to post about this separately, but it's spurred me on to get to T now :)

Thanks for the thread Hellie - it's great to see everyone's reasons xxxx

Last edited:
I dont have a goal in mind, or even an event, but at 33 (34 on Wednesday), I knew that it wasnt a good thing to wake up in the morning with chest pains. I have a 3 year old daughter that I adore and love, I dont want her to be without her mummy.
I dont really mind how long the weight takes to come off, just as long as it does! Lol.

Back