Whats your new SW food discovery??

I made a lamb kebab using lean diced lamb (fat cut off and grilled) and salad and wholemeal pitta from hex but really wanted some garlic sauce. I made some up using 1 tablespoon of very low fat mayo, a tablespoon of vlf natural yoghurt and some fresh garlic crushed in. Was very tasty and only 0.5 syns for the entire pot of garlic sauce.

I also posted this under recipes but was pleased to discover that a tsp of cocoa is only 0.5 syns. So I used my milk allowance to make a lovely mug of cocoa. The cocoa together with a teaspoon of sugar meant it was only 1.5 syns. Felt very naughty drinking it and it really sorted my choccy craving.

By the way I love the heating up of alpens idea. Really sorts out my cravings for cakey type things :p

I have been reading through some new recipes tonight and have no idea what these are or where to find them....

CAPERS?!?
GELATINE LEAVES?!?

:confused:

Anyone know what they are and can enlighten me please lol! x

Capers- usually near olives/pickles/chillis in supermarket. Little green circular things in a jar often in brine, sometimes in sea salt. Sometimes called Caperberries (although these are slightly bigger) YUMMY!
As for gelatine leaves... no idea!

Hope this helps!

Ruth
x

Gelatine leaves are in the baking section, they are used to make some dessertd 'set'. You can buy it in forms too, like sachets, in which case follow the packet instructions rather than the recipe.

mix two sachets of gelatine with a sachet of jelly, 1/2 pint of water and then put into moulds and in the fridge. Hey presto you have made jellied sweets.

i like to place them in a big bowl then let the kids make their own shapes.x

Tuna with a tzwist!

I am a tuna mayo addict, but have just this morning discovered a syn free alternative.

Tuna with tzatziki!!

I made syn free tzatziki:

• small tub of 0% greek or natural yoghurt
  • small clove of garlic chopped v finely
  • 1/2 cucumber grated and chopped finely (then squeeze all the excess moisture out)
  • black pepper
  • lemon or even lime juice
  • mint (optional personally I prefer it without)
You can then use as you wish, as a dip for carrots, celery or cucumber or as I discovered to mix in with a tin of tuna (in brine or water).

For lunch I added a tin of tuna, mixed with half of the above tzatziki to a salad of a few rocket leaves, chunky bits of tomato, cucumber, gerkins, celery and randomly boiled egg!

Yummmmmm :)

new SW discovery that's a dissapointment! I was told that Polenta is no longer free! I am gutted as I thought it was only synned if used as a flour subsitute but apparently not, it's synned no matter how/what you use it for

MrsWilsoncroft said:
I have been reading through some new recipes tonight and have no idea what these are or where to find them....

CAPERS?!?
GELATINE LEAVES?!?

:confused:

Anyone know what they are and can enlighten me please lol! x

before NY I made a cheesecake and wanted to find powdered gelatine - and it was virtually impossible, every shop I went to only had gelatine leaves!!! Every supermarket will do them - they are a PAIN to use though. You have to soak them in cold water, then melt them into hot water on the hob and don't make the same mistake I did - REALLY whisk/blend/mix it into whatever your making - I ended up using an electric handheld blender the second time for about 10 minutes to be sure!!

If you don't bits of solidified plastic will end up in your cheesecake and you'll have to bin it and make the whole thing again :(

for syn free humous (to go with the syn free tzaziki - thanks Danico!, now we just need a recipe for syn free pitta bread!):
1 tin chick peas, drained,
1 tsp garlic purree (optional)
1 good pinch salt
60ml water
15ml lemon juice
Chilli (optional)
(I also like to sometimes put 1/2tsp cumin, 1/2tsp paprika and 1/2tsp corriander to zing it up.)

I use a hand blender and whizz it up till smooth.

Goes really well with SW Salsa (finely chopped toms, peppers, onion, green onion, salt, pepper and vinigear) [STRIKE]and SW nachos (pasta sheets (not parboiled, just out the packet) under hot grill for 30 seconds or so, check to see most surface has bubbled and turn over, spray with fry light while still hot and season with any spices, let cool and break up). See pics below, soz if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but when I shared this with my last group they'd always par boiled theirs first.[/STRIKE] The Nachos are not free! Eat with carrot and celery sticks?

AND, if you're on EE like me that's 1/3 superfree foods - yay!

sorry for long post x

Attachments

• Raw - lasagne verdi.jpg
    Raw - lasagne verdi.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 187
  • cooking.jpg
    cooking.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 196
  • cooked.jpg
    cooked.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Oh yum, and that IS dried lasagne, yeah? Much easier than par boiling, eh? lol

for syn free humous (to go with the syn free tzaziki - thanks Danico!, now we just need a recipe for syn free pitta bread!):
1 tin chick peas, drained,
1 tsp garlic purree (optional)
1 good pinch salt
60ml water
15ml lemon juice
Chilli (optional)
(I also like to sometimes put 1/2tsp cumin, 1/2tsp paprika and 1/2tsp corriander to zing it up.)

I use a hand blender and whizz it up till smooth.

Goes really well with SW Salsa (finely chopped toms, peppers, onion, green onion, salt, pepper and vinigear) and SW nachos (pasta sheets (not parboiled, just out the packet) under hot grill for 30 seconds or so, check to see most surface has bubbled and turn over, spray with fry light while still hot and season with any spices, let cool and break up). See pics below, soz if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but when I shared this with my last group they'd always par boiled theirs first.

AND, if you're on EE like me that's 1/3 superfree foods - yay!

sorry for long post x

I don't think the 'SW Nachos' are syn free. Usually anything not eaten as it is intened to be eaten is syned. It may be worth double checking.

Does anyone have anything exciting to do with scan bran? That doesn't involve adding mincemeat :p

Back