Wheat-Free or Gluten-free?

SoonToBeGorgeous

Loving the Cambridge Diet
The two reasons I started with the Cambridge diet were because I needed to lose weight and that I needed to go wheat-free as I was having problems cutting wheat out of my diet.

I came across this website by accident this morning which lists places to eat which cater for the gluten/wheat-free diet -

Gluten-Free and Wheat-Free Places to Eat in the UK

I thought it might come in useful for some of you whom need this yourself or have friends/family members who need it.

I am wheat intolerant and have been told by my CDC and headquarters to avoid the soups. Do you have them Ann?

Yes I have the soups and have no problems!

The Cambridge website says that all products are gluten free

Yes I have the soups and have no problems!

The Cambridge website says that all products are gluten free

Allergies or Intolerances
Cambridge Suitability

Gluten intolerance
Coeliacs disease means sufferers cannot tolerate the gluten found in wheat, oats, rye and barley. CD drinks and bars are all gluten-free under current guidelines

Must be down to yeast intolerency then!

Meh, its not that i cant have them, i'll just have to put up with horrendous eczema. I will have one every now and then.
Chicken n mushroom and the veg ones were my fav

Sorry to hijack a thread but the soups are NOT gluten free!!
I am a newish CDC and have a client who may be gluten intolerant so I double checked with headquarters and had it confirmed that soups should be avoided.
By CD drinks it means the shakes (in the blue sachets) not the soups.
Although my client does have the soups and so far after a month on CD has not had any adverse effects.
Hope this doesn't confuse folks but wouldn't want anyone to be poorly

AliV

Why isn't the Cambridge website up-to-date then?

The quote above is what is on the website!

Allergies or Intolerances
Cambridge Suitability

Gluten intolerance
Coeliacs disease means sufferers cannot tolerate the gluten found in wheat, oats, rye and barley. CD drinks and bars are all gluten-free under current guidelines

The sideline also says 'all products suitable'

As I said, I have had no problems at all and the wheat-free products have cured my anaemia - the Rheumatologist is ecstatic

Sorry to hijack a thread but the soups are NOT gluten free!!
I am a newish CDC and have a client who may be gluten intolerant so I double checked with headquarters and had it confirmed that soups should be avoided.
By CD drinks it means the shakes (in the blue sachets) not the soups.
Although my client does have the soups and so far after a month on CD has not had any adverse effects.
Hope this doesn't confuse folks but wouldn't want anyone to be poorly

AliV

If you read the sideline it says that ALL products are suitable - whereas on the yeast allergy it says soups no, drinks yes - my CDC hasn't got the information that the soups are not gluten-free.

I dare say it does also depend on the amount included in the soups.

I have had two soups per day since October with no ill-effects.

The problem is if a client is very intolerant it should be made MORE clear that the soups are not gluten-free for, as you say, we don't want anyone to be ill.

STBG

The website is being revamped, however, this is taking quite some time which is why everyone should work closely with their CDC who will have the most up to date information or will have access to it.

When you complete your MRF there is an allergy section where you tick if you are gluten intollerant, did you do this?

The amount of gluten is low, however, it is there and as such should be treated with caution.

Your allergy level must be very low otherwise you would have felt unwell.

Have you discussed this with your CDC?

Linda

Hi Guys

Just thought I'd add a wee bit more info, as I said earlier I have been involved with the coeliac society for nearly 7 yrs now due to my son.

Wheat & gluten intolerence is just that - your body can withstand a certain amount - after that the ill effects build up over a period of time, days weeks etc. The results are uncomfortable but not life threatening and no long term ill effects.

A gluten or wheat allergy is when your body rejects all traces of wheat oats barley and rye - again often the ill effects are not seen instantly, however the abuse of these products with coelics can result in increased risk of bowel cancers & tumours.

In order to be diagnosed a 'coelic' a biopsy must be performed whilst gluten is in the diet to see what effect it has on the gut. Then and only then are you diagnosed a 'coeliac'.

I am fortunate to suffer with neither - but sympathise whole heartedly with intolerence & allergy sufferers.

Clare xxx

Exactly!

I don't have coeliacs and the hospital don't actually recognise either a wheat intolerance or a wheat allergy. I had a test done privately on a hair sample way back in 1990 at at time when I didn't display any symptoms.

The wheat intolerance was making me very anaemic - so they thought I had coeliacs - but having had a gastroscopy and the blood test, it came back negative. Also had a colonoscopy, a CT scan and an ultrasound too!

I do feel very sorry for folks with full-blown coeliacs - it has been hard enough for me to keep away from wheat itself, since everything that is pre-packaged contains wheat. Of course I have all this to come again when I start working up the plans.

It was going onto Cambridge which actually found the problem for me and within five days of starting Cambridge I lost all sorts of symptoms - then of course lost the anaemia too!

The two reasons I started with the Cambridge diet were because I needed to lose weight and that I needed to go wheat-free as I was having problems cutting wheat out of my diet.

I came across this website by accident this morning which lists places to eat which cater for the gluten/wheat-free diet -

Gluten-Free and Wheat-Free Places to Eat in the UK

I thought it might come in useful for some of you whom need this yourself or have friends/family members who need it.

Ahhh thanks for the link My 3 year old daughter became very ill last year and her weight dropped down to 20Lbs. She was then referred to the hospital who did the biopsy and diagnosed her with Coeliac disease. She has now been put on a special diet and is thriving but my god it takes a lot of getting use to as I have to check everything she eats to make sure it has none of the ingredients she is not allowed.

Mine was trial and error since we had no idea why I was so anaemic - the hospital had checked for everything they could think of and found nothing. I have RA which can cause anaemia - but it wasn't the RA when they checked.

At that point they hadn't tested me for coeliacs or wheat intolerance - it was something that I thought of myself.

They have been everywhere except up my nose!! I got fed up of being prodded, poked and injected with dyes, radioactive fluids, etc. More so when they could find absolutely nothing wrong with me

Now the hospital are convinced that wheat has been the culprit all along. It wasn't just the anaemia, I lost all sorts of other problems non-bowel related - that vanished into thin air after just five days on Cambridge - and haven't come back.

The coeliac's website suggests that there could be many thousands of people walking around with varying percentages of wheat/gluten intolerance that have no idea they have it.

As you say, wheat is in everything. Even Tesco's 'Oat' bread has wheat as its main ingredient - how do they get away with that?

When I go onto maintenance I am going to make my own gluten-free bread in a bread-maker and have all fresh foods, no processed foods at all. It can be done, I had to do that when I was on Atkins anyway - it is just so difficult to eat out.

All I am thankful for is that CD has cured my anaemia.

Back