When does slimming world stop working?

flossyxo

Hi, apologies if this sounds a bit of a silly question, but when/how does slimming world stop working? Does your body just get to a comfortable weight?

I'm currently at 10st6 and my target is 9st. Tbh I'd love to be in the 8 stones but I can't imagine my body ever getting to this weight! Like i said, does your body get comfortable at a certain weight because obviously slimming world can't work forever.

Thank you :)

You can think about this by working out your personal calorie requirements - there are tools online where you can input height, gender, age etc.

Here's how mine works to show you what I mean:

At the moment at 11 st 2lb, if I'm losing about 1lb a week, I must be eating about 1775 calories a day on SW. (My calorie requirements to stay the same weight are 2275 calories, and to lose 1lb I need to cut that by 3500 calories across a week ie 500 a day).

1775 calories is the calorie requirement for me to stay the same weight if I weigh 8 stone 9lb - quite near the bottom of the healthy weight range for my height. So that's the point at which I would probably 'stick' if I carried on eating my current SW diet forever. I actually think that weight is too low for me in terms of health and looks, so when I get to a weight I'm happy at I will increase my healthy extras to stay there.

Hope that made sense. I quite like arithmetic so liked working this out but if you don't then I guess the key thing is that on SW you can probably keep losing steadily til you're at a low-ish weight, but it's unlikely you'd get dangerously thin. I think.

I'm not sure if the rules mean I'm not allowed to post links, but if you put 'base metabolic rate' into google you will find some options.
My Fitness Pal also lets you input your stats and gives you recommended calories.

I find it interesting but I try not to get too obsessed! :)

Your body will have its own natural 'set point' of weight. If you try to go lower than this set point you will meet with resistance from your body, and trying to maintain a weight lower than your set points means eating way less calories and exercising loads more. It would be a struggle, and your body does all it can to get back up to its set point.

So I guess when you reach that point your body will tell you. It'll be like hitting a wall, you'll plateau and have to work much harder to lose weight again. So that would probably be a natural time to start maintaining.

Back