Where do I start?...

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum - this weekend I've had a bit of a 'lightbulb moment' which has spurred me on to make some changes. The problem is... I don't know where to start. That's where I'm hoping this website and some of the members on here can help me.

I've always been a curvy girl... boobs, bum, hips. But over the last 2 years, I've really let my weight get on top of me and I think I've been in total denial about it all. In the next year, my boyfriend and I will be looking to get married and I can't bare to be this uncomfortable with myself when that happens. I can't look at photos of myself or catch myself in the mirror without feeling disgusted. I'm just so low about my body.

I suffered really bad anxiety just over 1 year ago, I started taking some anti depressants called 'Sertraline' which have helped me massively. I'm in an amazing mindset and finally feeling back to my old self again. The only problem is the 2 stone I've gained.

My clothes are tight, my rolls are huge and I feel horrible within myself. I'm currently weighing in at 12 and half stone. I feel like I eat relatively healthy (always lots of fish/veg etc.) and drink lots of water through the day. When comparing myself (dangerous, I know!) with other people - I can't help but feel like I deserve to be slim!! But my size 14 hips disagree.

I work massively long hours in my job (8am-7pm) which really restricts my time for exercise (or a life in general!!). But I NEED to make changes and find a way out of this hole I'm in.

Please please help me xxxx

Hi there - I'm a newbie too and was having a look around the site when I saw your post.

I'm no expert, but seems to me that you've taken a big step by making the decision to lose weight. A wedding is great motivation and knowing it's some way off means you have plenty of time to lose weight slowly and sensibly.

Diet-wise there are lots of clubs you can join (including online ones) and reading up on them will help you decide which one you're most likely to stick to, if you choose to diet that way. As you've said you eat relatively healthily, you might want to diet by yourself and perhaps keeping a food diary showing calories, fat and sugar could pinpoint areas you could tweak. If you choose this way I'm sure you'll find lots of tips, food swaps and receipes on this site and online generally.

They say to lose weight you need to 'eat less, move more' but those are long working hours that you do, is there any way you could fit a walk in during the day or at the weekend? Maybe get an exercise DVD to do at home?

Please don't compare yourself to others, you are you, you are unique!

Good luck :)

Hello and welcome. I agree with Sassie.b - you've made the right first step in having that lightbulb moment! And so chuffed for you that you're taking control of your anxiety. Well done!

I'd say the first step is starting a food diary, and taking all your measurements now. Sometimes the best indicator is not the scales, but the inches and how your clothes fit and feel.

If you're already pretty healthy, writing everything (and be honest!) down will help you identify what needs to change. Then do some research about what you want. If you're someone who likes to follow a strict system you may want to get into an eating plan that details what to eat. Or you can be more flexible and count calories, or macros.

Personally, at the moment, I'm doing Harcombe, which is all about clean eating and not mixing carbs and fats/protein. In the past I've done slimming world, weightwatchers and more recently the Body Coach 90 day SSS plan (that's a lot of exercise, but it taught me a lot about nutrition and refuelling my body on the rare occasions I do work out!)

It can seem overwhelming, but you can do it....you can :D

Back