Who is cooking Xmas dinner & what's on the menu?

big bear

A bear on a mission!
For Christmas dinner this year we're staying at home so it's just me, H & my 2 year old son (Eryn too small for dinner lol)

For breakfast we'll have smoked salmon & scrambled eggs (normally have muffins but none for me)

I'll cook dinner & this is what we're having:

Starter: Just having melon & strawberries (or maybe parma ham)

Dinner: Turkey breast (stuffed from Lidl's) Gammon, brussell sprouts, carrots & parsnips mashed together, peas & roast potatoes. (not going to bother with pigs in blankets) gravy

Desert: H doesn't eat sweet things so I'll either make the roulade from on here or I may just buy a vienetta (more for son )

We've got no sweets/crisps etc (apart from my son's treats) so shouldn't be too tempted.

I'll have a couple of glasses of Chablis & that's it.

I'm not too stressed about it as don't think it's much different from any other roast dinner although if I was cooking for 18 people like my Mum I'm sure I'd be really stressed lol

Over to you what's on the menu??

We are having:

Prawns to start

Duck crown with a sauce i have not decided yet, Roasters and loads of veggies!

Followed by Christmas puddings and mini mince pies...covered in Baileys caramel pouring cream!

x

We are having:

Prawns to start

Duck crown with a sauce i have not decided yet, Roasters and loads of veggies!

Followed by Christmas puddings and mini mince pies...covered in Baileys caramel pouring cream!

x

Lovely, we usually have duck but decided on turkey this year. I not keen on mince pies. I just thought I might try get some Baileys ice cream maybe have with the roulade...

Now i'm only co-cook when it comes to dinner, but we're a real food family, so december is tough - My december aim is just to STS, then in Jan i'll crack on with de-larding.

Anyway, christmas day is this:

Breakfast:
German style breakfast (namely fresh bread rolls, sliced meats, cheese, pate and fish - not sure how authentically german it is, but it's what my german family eat whenever we're there!)

Dinner:

STARTER - Prawn salad, heavy on the massive king prawns
MAIN - Turkey, roast spuds & parsnips, carrots, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, bread sauce, sausagemeat & chesnut stuffing, pigs in blankets, and yorkshire puds.
DESSERT - New York Cheesecake, Home made ice-cream, Chocolate Custard Tart and a Chocolate mousse roulade.

Wow, that's loads, but there are loads of us.

I should maybe add that Boxing day is just going to be vegetable soup and some rennies!!

Breakfast will be smoked salmon with scrambled egg for OH, toast for DS and possibly smoked salmon with philly on brown toast or some sort of cracker for me - or I might decide on some crumpets or a buttered toasted teacake instead

Lunch is roast beef with dry roast parsnips and potatoes, lots of veg, yorkshire puds and lots of gravy (don't have turkey because no one else likes it), pud will be homemade pavlova, mince pies and pudding - a choice of which I'll have the pavlova. No starter because we have such a huge main course, my Mum comes to dinner too.

Evening will just be cheese and biscuits if we want it, some chocs and nuts if we want them.

Christmas day for us is very quiet just the old lady, 84 years old, and will do all her favourites, prawn cocktail, roast pork and all the trimmings,ice-cream.It's what she likes and the day is for her................ but.............

come Boxing day, now that is my day. I love giving dinner parties and we have 8 friends coming for dinner.

Starter....... timbales of layers of avocado, roasted Moroccan style peppers and topped of with cream cheese and herbs and decorated with a flower made of black olives, served on a lattice of fresh green asparagus......looks great, tastes better.

Cream of onion soup with melted mature Cheddar with caramelised red onions floating on top of the soup.

A 2 kilo piece of entrecote of beef topped with puree of onions and on top of that home made chicken liver pate and the lot wrapped in flaky pastry and cooked in a hot oven and served with mushrooms, french beans, baby carrots in orange, new potatoes, mashed potatoes ( for DH ) choice of traditional beef gravy or pepper sauce.

Pudding........ Christmas pudding or raspberry cheesecake or fresh fruit.

To finish strawberries dipped in chocolate and dates.

All served with a selection of super wines....... a vintage red and some lovely whites........... a good brandy to finish or liqueurs for the ladies...........

I can not wait for it. I really like all the people coming and I LOVE entertaining.

Im off to mums for christmas dinner this year. She is doing prawn cocktail and the traditional turkey and all the trimmings sw style. Afters isn't so sw friendly. Mince pies and christmas pud :D

Boxing day i am hosting a small gathering. Just buying in loads of goodies from iceland. Lots of alcohol and nibbles too. Back on track the day after. xx

Ours isn't going up be slimming world friendly I'm afraid! Other half is cooking (yes, lucky me) for 6 adults and our 2 year old (our 7 month old might have a try with some mash and veg too).

Starter: home made pate and toast with mixed leaves and chutney

Main: beef and chicken (not bothering with turkey this year), yorkshires, pigs in blankets, roasties, mash, stuffing, carrots, sprouts, cabbage, parsnips and gravy.

Dessert: hazelnut and raspberry pavlova and/or tiramisu.

Then in the evening we're having a typical Christmas tea, with cold meats, bread, cheeses, pickles, oven baked goodies and more - eek.

I'm not too worried though as I'm being really good for the rest of the holidays, and to be honest, I can't actually eat that much these days, so doubt I will be devouring too much of the goods on offer!

x

Back