wholemeal versus brown bread

tarajane

S: 16st8.5lb C: 15st7lb G: 10st0lb BMI: 37.2 Loss: 1st1.5lb(6.67%)
Hi,
I wondered if anyone can help as I am confused about the different syn values between wholemeal and brown bread.
In the SW book it says a 400g slice of wholemeal bread is 3 syns but a 400g slice of brown bread is 2.5 syns.
I don't want to seem thick but I thought wholemeal and brown bread were the same thing. When you ask for brown bread in a bakery or look for brown bread in the supermarket it's always called wholemeal.
Can anyone help me out here, thanks!

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

kingleds

Gold Member
Hi. They are different - its to do with how processed the flour is. Brown bread is not wholemeal, it's more processed. That's why brown bread isn't a healthy extra.

Not sure on why there is a syn difference by I'm guessing it's due to there being slightly more calories in wholemeal bread.

diamond5961

S: 15st10.5lb C: 15st10.5lb G: 12st7lb BMI: 32.6 Loss: 0st0lb(0%)
I was confused on this too - All i understood was wholemeal was def better for you

kingleds

Gold Member
I was confused on this too - All i understood was wholemeal was def better for you

It definitely is - but sometimes better for you doesn't necessarily mean lower syns or calories. For example, nuts are better for you than chocolate, but are still quite high in syns x

tarajane

S: 16st8.5lb C: 15st7lb G: 10st0lb BMI: 37.2 Loss: 1st1.5lb(6.67%)
Thanks kingleds, I've got wholemeal as a HEX as I can't do without my bread but I often have another 1-2 slices as well and syn them. It looks as though I'm going to have to have 2 loaves of bread on the go now - 1 wholemeal for HEX's and 1 brown for Syns! Hey ho!