Wholemeal????????

Im having bread maybe 4/5 times a week max so should be ok - well i hope its ok! lol

Oh yeah dats ok hun! your doing great its about making the right choices and you seem to be doin that! :)

What kind of bread are you eating tan?, sounds good and I might try it one day.

Its the co-op wholemeal seeded batch loaf :drool:

ooooh seeded bread, scrummy :)

may i throw a spanner in the works and ask about granary bread?! i tended to like a bread by Hovis, granary original it's called, full of seeds but doesnt seem very brown... any thoughts? xxx

I think wat irish mum says covers everything if you can see the grains in the bread its good if you cant its just dyed white bread haha!
Yup- pretty much sums it up! LOL!:p:D

Sarahlou- I think the consensus among 'experts' seems to be if its got seeds/nuts and is high-fibre then its good for you? It will release energy slower (thus avoiding sugar-slumps that lead to snacking), keep your digective system (therefore your metabolism) ticking steadily, and will help keep you regular!
Of course you may need to watch the fat/cal content too if you're watching your weight, but its all about balancing- if you have a higher cal piece of bread, you cut back somewhere else that day?
HTH?
(God I sound like some sort of bread guru! LOL! I'm just passing on what I've read/learnt over the years!;))

Yup- pretty much sums it up! LOL!:p:D

Sarahlou- I think the consensus among 'experts' seems to be if its got seeds/nuts and is high-fibre then its good for you? It will release energy slower (thus avoiding sugar-slumps that lead to snacking), keep your digective system (therefore your metabolism) ticking steadily, and will help keep you regular!
Of course you may need to watch the fat/cal content too if you're watching your weight, but its all about balancing- if you have a higher cal piece of bread, you cut back somewhere else that day?
HTH?
(God I sound like some sort of bread guru! LOL! I'm just passing on what I've read/learnt over the years!;))

Yep basically wat i thought granary bread does be higher in cals but the overall ingredients do be good so once again its all about balancing it out with other stuff and you shudnt really have more than 2 slices as it is more filling than white bread and it has more cals too so wudnt be a great guilt free snack. Everything in moderation as they say.

Irish mum its nice to know some people understand all the nutritional factors. Any info on low fat milk versus skimmed milk???? Like low fat super milk is that good????

I'm not sure? Is that a kind of 'fortified' skimmed milk (i.e.has added vitamins or something?)
I found this, which explains it in 'easy' language!
A large glass (about 200ml) of whole milk has 130 calories, nearly 8g fat and 230mg of calcium. The same amount of semi-skimmed milk has 70 calories, only 3g of fat and 240mg of calcium whilst a large glass of skimmed milk has 66 calories, a mere 0.2g of fat and 240mg of calcium.

Not much difference between semi-skimmed and skimmed in terms of calories and calcium, but quite a big difference between skimmed, semi-skimmed and whole in terms of calories and fat. Also, you’ll notice that both semi-skimmed and skimmed have slightly more calcium than whole milk. Why is that?
Well, calcium is found in the watery part of the milk, not the cream part, so when milk is skimmed, all the calcium remains. An adequate amount of calcium in the diet will build strong bone tissue and help to prevent osteoporosis.
So by choosing skimmed milk you won't be depriving your body of essential nutrients, but for me- the little extra fat in semi-skimmed gives more of a 'milk' taste (skimmed is tasteless to me?), so I go for it when I have it? It's a personal choice again though?

There is one slight disadvantage to drinking skimmed milk – since vitamin A and D are fat-soluble vitamins they are removed in the fat layer during the skimming process. Children under 2 years of age should only be given whole milk, as they need a higher fat intake for their growth and dvelopment.

Whole or semi-skimmed milk is also probably a better option for optimal growth for older children. For adults, the loss of these nutrients does not pose a threat to your health since we do not require such a nutrient-dense diet.

Irish you really are just a bank of knowledge! :giggle:

:rotflmao: Smartar*e! LOL! It's nice to know something sank in in the year & a half I was trying to lose weight 'properly', i.e. under my GP/Dietitians care- even if it didn't work! :p

wow thanks Irish - that's really good to know. I feel similarly about skimmed milk - i can have it on cereal in sauces etc no problem, but for a cuppa i have to have semi!

didnt realise you really should only give little ones whole milk - i'll log that little gem away incase i never had kids! xxx

Oh yes- the midwives hammered that one home!! LOL! My poor Mum has all 3 kinds in her fridge for us!

Funny enough, after LT I never really went back on milk? I still have my tea black, and if I need milk for sauces I use half milk, half water! I just really have it on cereal the odd time?

Thanks yeah super milk has extra calcium vit d etc its not skimmed its low fat dont know the difference i will look at the labels and see but ill stick to skimmed milk for the refeed mite say it to my doctor and pharmacist as ive always had a low intake of calcium but plan on having lots of natural yogurt etc so hopefully that will give me enough calcium i love the fact my nails are growing in lipotrim so dont want it to end so really want to keep up my calcium.

Thanks for the info.

Just to stick my oar in ... it's not true that wholemeal bread is just dyed white - that is 'brown' bread. Undoubtedly wholegrain is better than just wholemeal but then wholemeal is better than white or 'brown'
Here's a good explanation...
Bread cannot be made from whole grains only. All you would get is a great knobbly lump which could not be chewed or digested even if you were able to swallow it. Whole grain bread is bread made from whole wheat flour and at some stage has a handful or a measured weight of whole grains mixed in to give it the country roughage look. Wholemeal flour is made using the whole grain including the bran from the grain. This makes it brown and of a slightly rougher texture. White flour does not use the bran and is more refined at manufacture.

... and bread just labelled 'brown' is made from this refined flour being dyed unless it states it's made with wholemeal flour.

A good test for how refined a slice of bread is is to scrunch it up in your hand. The more refined it is the more back into its' original shape it'll spring. The less refined it is the more it'll crumble. 2 small drawbacks with this, 1st you have to pay out for the loaf, then you have to waste some crumbling it up in your hands ;) :) xx

Last edited:
Just to stick my oar in ... it's not true that wholemeal bread is just dyed white - that is 'brown' bread. Undoubtedly wholegrain is better than just wholemeal but then wholemeal is better than white or 'brown'
Here's a good explanation...
Bread cannot be made from whole grains only. All you would get is a great knobbly lump which could not be chewed or digested even if you were able to swallow it. Whole grain bread is bread made from whole wheat flour and at some stage has a handful or a measured weight of whole grains mixed in to give it the country roughage look. Wholemeal flour is made using the whole grain including the bran from the grain. This makes it brown and of a slightly rougher texture. White flour does not use the bran and is more refined at manufacture.

... and bread just labelled 'brown' is made from this refined flour being dyed unless it states it's made with wholemeal flour.

A good test for how refined a slice of bread is is to scrunch it up in your hand. The more refined it is the more back into its' original shape it'll spring. The less refined it is the more it'll crumble. 2 small drawbacks with this, 1st you have to pay out for the loaf, then you have to waste some crumbling it up in your hands ;) :) xx

Thanks Jan haha! your so colourful explaining it like dat but i think i understand now. I got wholemeal pitta breads and they look quite healthy etc im gonna try stick to more granary high gi stuff for normal breads and wraps etc if i can find them but if not ill go with the wholemeal. ill also stay away from brown bread its got lots of sugar in it as far as i can tell aswell.

Your explanation was brill. Thanks!

Back